Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls ignoring settings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 of Powerwall 2 (I believe plus version) installed with an existing small solar array (3.3 kW). For the most part the Powerwalls were installed to have peace of mind if there was an outage. It seems that whatever settings are being completely ignored and if anything, the batteries are doing the opposite. I have it set to only use the upper 20% of the battery and the rest is set for reserve (should only use 80-100% range). I have it set to self-powered and not charging from the grid. My vehicle charging is set to only use battery to charge if it's above 80% but that should only matter during grid outage.

If the battery is at a higher state of charge say 90% and there is significant load from the house (say dryer going and wall connector going for a total of 17 kW) the system will work as normal pulling 10 kW from the battery and the rest from solar or grid. But after a few minutes it switches to do the reverse: the battery wants to charge from the grid at 11.5 kW even though the battery is above 80%. The expected behavior should be to use all the batteries can provide (10 kW) and grid/solar should provide any remaining kW until the batteries are depleted to the reserve percentage, then grid/solar should take over the load completely.

What is likely to be the issue?

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpeg
    IMG_0701.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0700.png
    IMG_0700.png
    335.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4
I have 2 of Powerwall 2 (I believe plus version) installed with an existing small solar array (3.3 kW).

When was this installed? That also seems to be a really small array for 2 powerwalls, do you have more than one PV (solar) array?

In general, issues like this tend to be related to incorrectly installed / setup current transformers / current transducers (CTs..I can never remember whether its transformer or transducer).

When was this installed? That also seems to be a really small array for 2 powerwalls, do you have more than one PV (solar) array?

In general, issues like this tend to be related to incorrectly installed / setup current transformers / current transducers (CTs..I can never remember whether its transformer or transducer).
It was installed last July. The solar array is a "compliance" installation in CA. It's a new house and it's the bare minimum that the builder installed to meet state requirements for new builds. The batteries came after the solar. I live where they have probably the lowest electric rates in California (public power provider) so it won't pencil out to do any more panels than what came with the house.

It was installed last July. The solar array is a "compliance" installation in CA. It's a new house and it's the bare minimum that the builder installed to meet state requirements for new builds. The batteries came after the solar. I live where they have probably the lowest electric rates in California (public power provider) so it won't pencil out to do any more panels than what came with the house.
The batteries were installed last july too? Its always worked like this then?

The batteries were installed last july too? Its always worked like this then?
The solar came with the house which was bought new December 2022. The batteries we purchased after from Sunnova and were installed in July 2023. Long story but they undersized the initial backup loads panel installation (which should have been whole home backup). They finally corrected it and a couple of days ago I received PTO and just noticed this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
The solar came with the house which was bought new December 2022. The batteries we purchased after from Sunnova and were installed in July 2023.
Ok.. has it been working like that since 2023 or is this new? It would be strange for you to have a CT issue now, unless they were flipped in software or something.

I would call Tesla powerwall support and ask. Based on your settings it shouldnt do what you are saying. If it just started this, you can try rebooting your system (powercycling it) and see if it changes.

• Informative
Reactions: 1100MCM and jgleigh