Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting note from this is PW supply/capacity is now finally available for 3rd party installers en mass. I agree that install labor will be high if any installer that already isn't busy enough already dealing with NEM3.0 orders and hooking all this up. Just not worth their time probably right now and NEM deadlines in CA at least.

Reactions: h2ofun
does adding additional storage require interfacing with PGE again? or is this something that can just be added in to an existing PW system?

trying to figure out if the electricians that did my main panel upgrade for tesla could just install one more PW. maybe they would know how to file the paperwork (if needed) even though technically they are not solar installers.

does adding additional storage require interfacing with PGE again? or is this something that can just be added in to an existing PW system?

trying to figure out if the electricians that did my main panel upgrade for tesla could just install one more PW. maybe they would know how to file the paperwork (if needed) even though technically they are not solar installers.
Got to get another permit, which depending on what one wants to do , may no longer be legal!!

I thought my last 2 also had to get a PGE PTO, since I assume back feeding into the transformer needs to be verified is not
a safety issue, right ?

I would be surprised if you don't since an additional PW would increase the grid backfeed capacity significantly.

Reactions: astrorob

100% yes, if you add grid tied interactive inverters including powerwall they need to have permission to operate through PGE. The physical installation can be performed regardless but your utility needs to check the transformer capacity.

The reason is that after they are installed nothing stopping the homeowner from participating in a VPP program, and then all your battery inverters start pushing to the grid.

• Informative
Reactions: astrorob and KJD

I will be going with a permit and interconnection with PGE. I want to go that route because I am also on the VPP program, Adding batteries to existing solar doesn't push you out of your current NEM program.

Looks promising to me. I already have Tesla solar, inverter, GW2, and 2 PW. Presumably I can just get a 3rd PW, hang it on the wall, run a pair of AC wires and control wires to the GW2, plug them into a new circuit breaker in the GW2 and data port, and be done. And collect 30% tax credit on top.
Actually, from watching my Powerwalls being installed, it's just a matter of jumping the AC wires and control wires from the internal connectors to the other Powerwalls.

The reason is that after they are installed nothing stopping the homeowner from participating in a VPP program, and then all your battery inverters start pushing to the grid.

but this is what i was trying to say in my other reply - i currently have two powerwalls and although that is capable of 10kw, during VPP events and normal "export everything" days my system only exports 5kw. i assume this is because it's what my solar inverter can export, and what was originally approved by PGE. if solar is still producing while the PWs are exporting, the sum of the two never exceeds 5kw.

i don't doubt that PGE would want some paperwork as all that's standing between me and overloading local transformers is software, but for whatever reason they signed off on 10kw of powerwall capacity and i'm still limited to 5kw max.