Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwalls now available for direct order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i don't doubt that PGE would want some paperwork as all that's standing between me and overloading local transformers is software, but for whatever reason they signed off on 10kw of powerwall capacity and i'm still limited to 5kw max.
But when they signed off on the 10 kW of PW capacity I wonder if that was more from an import perspective? When my PWs were installed, and also approved as 10 kW, Export Everything was not a thing.

But my solar is 10 kW so I can export up to that.

But when they signed off on the 10 kW of PW capacity I wonder if that was more from an import perspective? When my PWs were installed, and also approved as 10 kW, Export Everything was not a thing.

But my solar is 10 kW so I can export up to that.

that's a good question, i should try to look back to days when there was a storm watch event to see how much the PW pulled from the grid. i have 200A service so you'd think that they were OK with 48kw draw at least when the house was built. i don't think i've ever seen more than ~13kw being drawn from the grid (car charging while electric oven was on)

as mentioned for a few days after i turned on export everything, the PWs were exporting 10kw. but something happened and it got clamped to 5kw. i do see in the PW API that the site export limit is set to 5kw, so i'm assuming the 10kw days were some kind of bug.

as mentioned for a few days after i turned on export everything, the PWs were exporting 10kw. but something happened and it got clamped to 5kw. i do see in the PW API that the site export limit is set to 5kw, so i'm assuming the 10kw days were some kind of bug.
My site was limited to 8kW when I first checked some time back. When they enabled export everything, the limit was removed so I could export at 10kW. They added the export limit back at 7.8kW when I signed up for the VPP a little later. The timing could be coincidence, though.

Not sure what parameter means what:

"max_site_meter_power_kW":1000000000,
"min_site_meter_power_kW":-8.994490234375,
"nominal_system_energy_kWh":27,
"nominal_system_power_kW":10

nominal_system_energy_kWh: this is obviously the combined energy of my two Powerwalls.

But not sure what effect the max, min and nominal have or exports or imports.

Not sure what parameter means what:

"max_site_meter_power_kW":1000000000,
"min_site_meter_power_kW":-8.994490234375,
"nominal_system_energy_kWh":27,
"nominal_system_power_kW":10

nominal_system_energy_kWh: this is obviously the combined energy of my two Powerwalls.

But not sure what effect the max, min and nominal have or exports or imports.
min_site_meter_power_kW is the export limit. The Powerwalls will limit exports to stay under this total export number for the site. Presumably max_site_meter_power would be the import limit, and the Powerwalls would attempt to keep the site imports less than that amount.
nominal_system_power_kW is the nominal power your Powerwalls can generate. That is, 5 kW per Powerwall.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I ordered one from the Tesla website to bring my system up to 3. The status keeps saying I'll be contacted when it's available in my area. Tesla, they are available in my area, since they were installed this year and the installing company says they have others in stock.

I ordered one from the Tesla website to bring my system up to 3. The status keeps saying I'll be contacted when it's available in my area. Tesla, they are available in my area, since they were installed this year and the installing company says they have others in stock.

did you really order just the powerwall? i already have a 2PW system and on the tesla powerwall website, there doesn't seem to be any way to just order the battery without the gateway and other supporting stuff.

also i contacted a couple local installers and they wanted ~$6000 to install, similar to what tesla is asking. they didn't seem to care that i already had a gateway and that all the wiring has already been done. $6000 seems pretty steep to just daisy chain in the control and hook up the power wires to the already-existing gateway.

so i wonder if it's really a thing to just order a single battery from Tesla and have it installed...?

did you really order just the powerwall? i already have a 2PW system and on the tesla powerwall website, there doesn't seem to be any way to just order the battery without the gateway and other supporting stuff.

I think on the Powerwall Direct order page, one of the questions is "Are You Expanding a Powerwall System", if you answer Yes, then it will not add the $1000 for the Gateway.

Reactions: astrorob
In addition to the gateway, I have a generation panel. It has 4 breaker positions for up to 4 batteries. Currently I have 2 PWs and there are 2 20 amp breakers - one for each PW. To expand I would need a new breaker, wiring and programming of the gateway. In 2021 I got a quote for installation of a 3rd PW for $9,438. Looks like that was a great price compared to $7,700 for the PW and $5,700 for shipping and installation.

So almost four months later, nada from Tesla. It seems like they changed their minds?

We placed an order back in March and had not heard anything from Tesla, just like you. We went on the Powerwall page and scheduled a callback about their energy products for yesterday. On the call, we gave the advisor our order number, which he looked up. He informed us that there were a number of orders from that time period that were placed in an "out of delivery area" queue. That queue was more or less a "lost" zone where no action was being taken on them.

He advised we cancel that order and re-order (this time with a deposit) to actually get the process going. Once we did that we noted the new order had more of the install process (documents, site survey, install, etc) on the page.

I’m in NEM 2.0. If I add another powerwall, will my true up date reset to the new PTO date, causing me to lose all my accumulated credits YTD? I know that only adding batteries will not push me into NEM 3.0.

I’m in NEM 2.0. If I add another powerwall, will my true up date reset to the new PTO date, causing me to lose all my accumulated credits YTD? I know that only adding batteries will not push me into NEM 3.0.
Any change will cause a true-up because you will have to get a new PTO. Your credit shouldn't be lost, but will be applied at the time the true-up is reset instead of the end the year.

Reactions: h2ofun