Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF And Ceramic Coating Look Amazing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great looking car! The ppf and coating was a smart investment. For your maintenance washes try CarPro ECH2o wash, as a rinse-less wash it will work really well with your Cquartz coating. Our Tesla customers really enjoy the ECH2o wash.
If you have any questions feel free to call or email us.
484-602-7750
or
[email protected]
I've got about $300 of various washes, mitts, special buckets, etc. coming to protect the finish. Most of it is CarPro stuff recommended by the guy who did the work. I'm going to look ridiculous the first time I try to figure out how to wash the car!

Um, what's PPF? Ceramic paint?
Good questions. Until 2 weeks ago I had no idea. PPF stands for "paint protection film". It's a clear flexible plastic sheet that adheres to the body and protects it from nicks and scratches. It's not ceramic paint, it's ceramic coating. It is like a super wax for your car. Way better protection than wax, hydrophobic (hates water) and last 2-4 years.

Really does look great and I compliment you on your choice of color too! How many miles did you have on you car when done and did either of the processes wipe out or ameliorate any existing scuffs, nicks, etc? I've got 32K of Joisey and PA driving on my M3 and it shows. Wish mine still looked like it did back last July!
These detailing guys are amazing. They can fix/hide just about everything. Only had the car about three weeks. But the installer said the front end already had some small chips. I have no idea if it was a worthwhile investment, but the car looks amazing right now. Go Team Red!

Why do you need to wash your own car? I’m considering ceramic coat for my m3, but not sure how maintenance would be for it...
I asked the installer about care and feeding. He said car wash would "ruin his work". He was even skeptical about using a hand wash place "you don't know how many cars they've used those sponges on." He almost begged me to wash myself. His site even has a link to videos about how to wash it correctly. My wife thinks it's all a little bit over the top. We will see.

Reactions: Immaculate PPF
Does the ceramic coat go on the glass also? So much glass here
No. Glass is apparently a different kind of animal. I've read posts on here about how some window cleaner additives can screw up your windshield. It was interesting that they put the ceramic coating on after the film. Installer said the ceramic coating would affect the adhesion of the film to the paint and I guess it does something for the film too.

I asked the installer about care and feeding. He said car wash would "ruin his work". He was even skeptical about using a hand wash place "you don't know how many cars they've used those sponges on." He almost begged me to wash myself. His site even has a link to videos about how to wash it correctly. My wife thinks it's all a little bit over the top. We will see.

It depends on whether you have a full PPF or partial PPF. If you have a full PPF, I would be ok taking the car to the occasional traditional car wash. If it induces scratches, the self healing properties of the PPF would eliminate any scratches. If you have a partial PPF, I would avoid the car wash as the non-PPF protected parts of the car are vulnerable to scratches and swirls.

when i did ceramic myself i did all the painted panels and the glass roof/rear glass. i didnt do windshield or side windows but i do cover the windshield in aquapel which is awesome. everywhere that i put ceramic coating on, water just glides off. my weekly maintenance washes take about 30 minutes start to finish. i use a leaf blower to dry the car about 95% of the way and a small microfiber for any drips and jams

I've got about $300 of various washes, mitts, special buckets, etc. coming to protect the finish. Most of it is CarPro stuff recommended by the guy who did the work. I'm going to look ridiculous the first time I try to figure out how to wash the car!

Yeah, I’m anti-mitt. Clean microfiber towels all the time for washing and drying. Just a beginner car guy with my red Tesla. Costco microfiber towels, inexpensive and 30+ in a package. I even use them on the glass.

Other trick, Invisible Glass spray bottle for the outside, Invisible Glass spray foam can for the inside, so the foam stays where you want it. And since I’m not extremely limber, a Invisible Glass wash tool for corners with a microfiber towel.

There is a lot of glass in the Tesla.

Then I just do a wash load of towels after full cleaning. I use them occasionally for spot cleaning and just keep a pile of used ones for future wash loads. Separate from clothes since I’m not sure what would happen if I mixed loads.

... Like a museum piece. I’m a little afraid to drive it now. Only problem is that I am now obligated to wash my own car, something I haven’t done since college. Pictures attached.

I got my car, a Model X, wrapped with PPF because I wanted to keep it looking good, but also because I wanted to be able to live with the car. I didn't want to worry every time I was near the car if I was wearing a coat with a zipper, or if I made a mistake while washing the car and a solitary piece of grit got into my wash bucket, it wouldn't matter because the PPF would heal itself back up afterwards.

Two years later, and as expensive as it was, it was totally worth it for me. The Model X is still looking like it's brand new (after 2 years of me washing it - I'm not the most skilled :D) and best of all, I can just live with it. I'm modestly careful around it, but not like I am around museum pieces.

That's the real reason I would (and will) get PPF added to any new cars down the road - for me at least, the PPF makes the cars easy to live with.

And you're right - that's a really good looking car. Congratulations!

Really does look great and I compliment you on your choice of color too! How many miles did you have on you car when done and did either of the processes wipe out or ameliorate any existing scuffs, nicks, etc? I've got 32K of Joisey and PA driving on my M3 and it shows. Wish mine still looked like it did back last July!
Hi CHR2 - ideally paint protection film is put on the car right after delivery. With more miles on the vehicle such as your Model 3 a paint correction process will remove most of the imperfections, swirl marks, improve the color, increase gloss and can make the vehicle look almost new again. The ceramic coating will help keep the gloss and make washing your vehicle easier. You may even want to consider paint protection film if you want to stop further rock chips from occurring. We have helped some our clients that are in your situation.
Please DM me if I can answer specific questions about your Model 3.
[email protected]

I had PPF (full front, hood, a pillars) put on at 2k miles, along with ceramic. there was a lot of paint correction that had to be done, but the end result looks great. My detail guy said the black paint Tesla uses is super soft.

Attachments

• IMG_20190610_154940.jpg
    IMG_20190610_154940.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 104
I have Opti-Coat Pro Plus ceramic. I only spot wash after dirty Florida buggy road trips. I park outside and a few times a week I use the dew and sometimes a little water and just wipe the car clean. With the multi fiber cloth it gleams.

What's the typical lifespan of PPF and ceramic coating?

How long does it take you to wash the car with something like CarPro ECH2o wash? Seems like you could do it in the garage when weather is subzero, as it fairly often in the winter months here in the NYC suburbs. I don't mind doing a light handwash in the driveway when it's above freezing.

Yeah I did Opticoat Ceramic (like Quartz) but seriously regret not getting PPF, at least on the front. Lots of stone chips from highway driving have gone all the way through to black. Very sad.

Moral of the story? Get PPF! Even without a ceramic coat, this is a good investment.

I have CQuartz finest, it is great, really shines and keeps car looking cleaner. Have PPF on front bumper and headlights, it's saved a lot of damage when hitting an unavoidable loose bumper on the highway.

For washing, I use a foam cannon and pressure washer, combined with 2 bucket wash if car is extremely dirty. I found the Sun Joe electric pressure washers have plenty of power for the foam cannon. It makes the job go a lot quicker.

Reactions: Burrito
What's the typical lifespan of PPF and ceramic coating?
We install 3M Scotchgard Pro Series paint protection film (PPF), a lot impacts the longevity of the film but there is a 10-year warranty for the film not to yellow, lift, bubble, or crack. Additionally there is an optional 5-year paint service agreement covering up to $3500 that will have the paint professionally repaired and the film replaced should the film fail to perform and paint is chipped, nicked, or scratched by road debris. Both are backed by 3M.

Your installation of 3M Scotchgard PPF will also be reported to CarFax which will document and help to increase your future trade-in value.

For ceramic coatings there are many different options all with different lifespans. The ceramic coatings mentioned in this post are all excellent, and a reputable coating installer could explain the specifics to help you make a decision.