Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF & Ceramic coating is it worth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only had my front bumper PPF'd done professionally. Cost me $600. I did the doors myself for just the materials which were about $230 from ebay. Hindsight, I should've done the hood also myself. I also did ceramic coating for cost of materials for $80 and took me about 3 hours. I will never pay for ceramic coat. Nothing more than a wax job.

Reactions: AJ..
I only had my front bumper PPF'd done professionally. Cost me $600. I did the doors myself for just the materials which were about $230 from ebay. Hindsight, I should've done the hood also myself. I also did ceramic coating for cost of materials for $80 and took me about 3 hours. I will never pay for ceramic coat. Nothing more than a wax job.
so when it shows debris damage on PPF then do we need to put PPF again as it shows some small plastic coming out appearance. also, what if something happens to tesla. so is it worth having PPF? I am thinking to do below with estimates. But again thinking to do just Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors and rockers so just Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors. Comments?

Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors - 1100
Rockers 625
4 doors 1200
Headlights 100

As Silicon Desert mentioned, there are a lot of posts with similar info on TMC. Just search PPF and ceramic coating and see what comes up.

Here are my two cents:

PPF is a truly unique protection product. It is the only product on the market that actually has self-healing properties. Scratches and swirl marks will magically disappear in the heat of the sun. Yes, if the PPF is punctured deep enough, it will tear and won't heal. But in my experience, this is pretty rare and, if it does happen, most professional PPF installers will replace the torn piece pretty cheaply. For example, I had some PPF on my quarter panel that had to be replaced following a parking lot accident. Parts and labor combined was $125. Plus, PPF will come with a substantial warranty (in my case, Xpel PPF has a 10-year warranty).

That said, PPF is expensive. If you are not that concerned about rock chips or scratches, then you can skip PPF, save the money, and rely on some other cheaper form of paint protection. A $10 of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine works just fine for many people.

IMO, our Model 3's are more prone to rock chips. The entire front bumper is painted and a chip magnet. And the tremendous torque from the wheels will often kick up pebbles and debris onto the rocker panels.

When you pay to have a professional ceramic coating, you are often paying for the extensive prep, which usually includes a machine polish. Even brand new cars usually need at least a light polishing by machine to get the paint as nearly perfect and defect-free as possible before the coating is applied.

In terms of actually applying a ceramic coating, there are DIY consumer coatings on the market that are pretty easy to apply. For example, Gyeon Cancoat Evo costs around $59 and will give you up to 18 months of protection.

You also don't have to get a ceramic coating. I got a full car PPF in Dec 2018 and, instead of a ceramic coating, I apply a ceramic spray sealant such as Griots Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax every 3 months.

If you are going to get PPF and or a ceramic coating applied, do it as soon as possible. When I took delivery of my P3D in Dec 2018, I immediately drove it straight to the PPF shop.

I did it on my S, don't think it is worth it on the 3. They are just cars at the end of the day and not appreciating assets. Given the cost of the 3, it makes almost no sense to spend 10% of the cars cost to do full PPF.

I did the entire front of my Y. Mostly because it's big bulbous nose was likely to be a magnet for stone chips. I should have just done the bumper on it and called it a day.

If you are OCD, the PPF will be awesome for you. I am so glad I didn't do it on my 3 and saved the $$$. On the S, it makes a lot more sense as how I have to park it. Basically our garage is an odd shape and you almost have to slide along the entire side of the S to get out. The PPF keeps it from getting damaged.

so when it shows debris damage on PPF then do we need to put PPF again as it shows some small plastic coming out appearance. also, what if something happens to tesla. so is it worth having PPF? I am thinking to do below with estimates. But again thinking to do just Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors and rockers so just Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors. Comments?

Full Hood, Full Fenders, Mirrors - 1100
Rockers 625
4 doors 1200
Headlights 100
I do have a small nick just next to the front license plate. I'm leaving it alone and feel great knowing that the ppf took the damage and not the bumper. Maybe eventually down the road if it gets more damaged then I will redo the ppf but no plans for that now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
All IMHO of course:

The front bumper should be the first thing you do.

Films should, if minor damage, self-heal. Or so they claim.

Worth it? Financially almost never. Pride of ownership, ease of cleanup, appearance? I paid $2k for front bumper, full hood, lights, and front 1/2 fenders, and did so for the later not the former.

Reactions: El joe
thanks for the info. so after doing more digging. decided to do only full front which will include front both side fenders, front bumper, headlights and mirrors. So quick question. bumper ppf will cover underneath surface or no? or for that i have to pay for rockers package which covers all below surface of the car.

Not sure what "underneath surface" is, but at this level of detail I'd ask the installer. Many installers have their own patterns they cut. Make sure you use a top film. I used an XPEL Ultimate installer.

BTW, I actually paid $1,750. Went and looked.

From a cost analysis perspective I decided it’s not worth it for me. The M3 is produced in increasing volume, so it’s unlikely to have collectors value in the lifetime I plan to have mine.

I just sold my “trade in” vehicle to CarMax. It was dark evening and they barely looked at the exterior. They gave me the highest price of 4 places including Tesla by about 80%. My rock chips and little dings played exactly zero role in determining its value. Obviously not everyone will have this exact experience, but I doubt the trade in algorithms give much weight to PPF.

I chose white for my Tesla color. It’s likely to look newer longer without PPF than a darker car. Swirls shouldn’t be a big issue.

I’m on the fence about ceramic. I can’t use my local car wash since it’s not brushless. I love the idea of ceramic, but I’m not convinced it’s a value additive. Window treatment is pretty likely. That’s a safety issue for me.

Reactions: TBrownTX
I’m on the fence about ceramic. I can’t use my local car wash since it’s not brushless. I love the idea of ceramic, but I’m not convinced it’s a value additive. Window treatment is pretty likely. That’s a safety issue for me.

It's pretty easy to apply a consumer-grade DIY ceramic coating such as Gyeon Cancoat Evo. You can buy a Cancoat Evo kit for $59. I applied it to my wife's 2014 Honda Accord and the gloss and hydrophobics are outstanding. It is more forgiving when applying than professional coatings, but the trade off is that it is not as durable. It should last 12-18 months. But I figure it is so quick and easy to apply, I won't mind applying it once every 18 months.

One of the reasons I didn't do the ceramic coating on our 3 was apparently taking it through an automatic car wash will likely ruin the coating. While I'll never use automatic car washes, I know my wife would.

On the S, we used the ceramic coating over the PPF and SUPER easy to keep clean. It will be interesting to compare the 3 and S over the next few years. They are driving in the same environment and bought within weeks of each other.

So far the 3 is holding up better than I thought it would to having its paint totally unprotected.

I have posted similarly in other forms but wanted to share here. I have 10 years experience working in the automotive protective products industry. This is my honest, option of PPF & Ceramic Coating.
PPF is the BEST option for protecting your car from physical damage like rock chips. Keep in mind there are many many brands offering PPF of varying quality, you really get what you pay for. As far as quality in this order Xpel, Lumar, 3m, Kavaca. Xpel has the longest track record and the best performance for longevity, self-healing, and clarity.
For Teslas in the Southern California Area, PPF Bumper Package: $500-$900. Partial Front $1200-$2400. Full Front $2400-$3200 Full Car $6000-$9000

If you have a Model 3 or S here are your your highest impact zones, most installers call this a "Full Front"
11.jpg

If you have a Model Y or X here are your your highest impact zones, most installers call this a "Partial Front" Notice the imact areas just in front of the rear wheels. Some installers will not include this area in the normal package. Ask to add it! This area gets badly abused by rocks thrown from the front wheels.
12.jpg

True Ceramic Coating is essentially a permanent super wax that offers super gloss slickness, and sun(UV) protection that becomes a permanent part of your paint after being applied. You really have to be careful with selecting a Ceramic Coating because there are so many products that put a tiny amount of SIO2 (silicon DiOxide, ie Ceramic) in their product and claim it to be a ceramic coating. True Permanent Ceramic Coatings contain high levels of SIO2 and TiO2 (Titanium DiOxide) that are suspended in a harsh solvents which rapidly oxidizes when applied to a surface.
As far as quality in this order Ceramic Pro, Xpel. There are probably thousands of manufactures of "Ceramic Coatings" but these two brands are the only coatings that I have witnessed to actually preform longer than 12 months. Ceramic Pro is by far the most difficult installation process but yields the best performance in the industry, bar none. I have seen cars with ten year old Ceramic Pro Coatings that still look and preform flawless.
For Teslas in the Southern California Area (basic paint correction included): $1600-$2900

My advice: 1) Decide your budget 2) Write down your questions 3) Find the highest rated installer you can (check their social media, yelp, and website) 4) Visit the installer. Take your car to them so they can see it (Don't do it over the phone!) This will give you a chance to speak with the installer, see their shop and work quality. Tell the installer what your concerns are, why you want to protect your car, and ask their opinion 5) Select the options that best fit your need and your budget.

I would never do a partial front on a Model Y if you have a white one. You end up with effectively a line across the hood where dirt resides and and draws even more attention to the edge of the PPF. It is less noticeable on darker colors than lighter ones. Obviously your tolerance may be higher than mine. It is the primary reason I did a full front on my Y.

My 2022 M3 is holding up quite well with no PPF on the front. I have about 10k miles on it and it is far better than I thought it would. So no regrets about not having done it.

Depends on the owner and partially their driving style.

Do you keep your cars 10+ years?
Are you an enthusiast that likes to wash and detail the cars every few weeks?
Do small road nicks bother you?
Is your car just a commute car?

I mean, if the appearance of the car is an important aspect of the car, then yes, go for it.

I would NOT get PPF thinking that it will help your resale value. It won't. I mean, let's say that two cars, the same car, one with and one without. Yes, you may get a few more bucks for the car with PPF, but when it cost you $3000 to get it done, it's a loss. Most people can get the front resprayed for a lot less $ than a full PPF.

I would NOT get PPF thinking that it will help your resale value. It won't. I mean, let's say that two cars, the same car, one with and one without. Yes, you may get a few more bucks for the car with PPF, but when it cost you $3000 to get it done, it's a loss. Most people can get the front resprayed for a lot less $ than a full PPF.
I am generally in agreement with what you wrote. There is an issue if you respray the front of the car. The last time I took some expensive cars to a wholesaler to get a quote, they did a paint depth check to see if bodywork was done. Might not be an issue for some.

When I was in Florida, I found a great shop that would have sprayed the entire front bumper for less than it was going to cost me to PPF the front. I was quoted about $750 to redo the entire front bumper on my Y if I needed it. That was a guy who did touch ups and repairs on all the high end cars and cars that were often a Concours D'elegance. Think like Pebble Beach but the East coast version at Amelia Island. So his work was top-notch.

I am new owner of my first tesla. Seeking advice help what parts should i cover with PPF. And in addition to PPF is ceramic coating is worth? What care should be taken care after PPF and/without ceramic coating?
When comparing these 2 options it really comes down to what you are looking to gain from having them installed.

The PPF will protect your vehicle from more of the flying debris and rock chips.

The Ceramic Coating is something that will protect the vehicle form more of the fall out debris (dust, dirt, bird droppings, or tree sap). The ceramic coating does offer some benefits to protect the paint as well from fine surface scratches from washing and drying. The key to ceramic coating is the prep work that goes into the vehicle before it is applied. Always make sure you are getting a paint correction and a polish to bring out the real gloss and shine to the paint.

We do a lot of vehicles with both. Doing the paint correction first then PPF the full front, and then do the ceramic coating over the complete vehicle is our most popular package.

Travis
949-522-6287

My first post on this forum. I am taking delivery of a white Model 3 RWD on 03/26. I scheduled PPF to be installed on the front bumper, ceramic coating on the body and wheels, and protectant on the white leather seats. I am replacing my 2003 Toyota MR2 Spyder, which I kept in pristine condition, with the Tesla because after 20 years I thought it was time for a change. I've never kept a car for less than 12 years and do my best to keep them in good condition. This is my first electric vehicle so I need to learn how to maintain it.