Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF & Ceramic Combo Vs Vinyl

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TysY

Nov 11, 2020
VA
'21 Black MY: PPF/ceramic/wraps are very new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. My wrap guy quoted me $2,800 to do a PPF full front & rocker panels, and full ceramic coating with color correction. Seems like a fair price (this also includes the front two windows getting tinted). It also would be roughly the same for me to do a full vinyl wrap.

I'm wondering if I'd be making a mistake not going with a full vinyl wrap? I'm not sure about the maintenance and how pristine you can keep vinyl. I'm already at a disadvantage because I have a black MY so keeping that looking nice has been a chore but manageable.

Hopefully one of these will help me minimize the spider webs forming over time (I'm already starting to see form only after a month of owning it).

TL;dr Which is the best to keep looking nice over time a PPF & Ceramic combo or a vinyl wrap for a black MY?

From my understanding, the PPF is a bit thicker than just regular vinyl, which won't protect as well against rock chips, scratches, etc. I'm getting my mirror caps on my white MYP wrapped in matte black, however they're doing the PPF under it first to make sure it has the protection of the PPF.

I'd personally go with the PPF/ceramic combo

If money isn't an issue, the PPF with ceramic coating is a great way to protect the paint. Most top end brands like XPEL offer a 10 year warranty for the PPF.

A color change wrap (aka vinyl) wont be as thick and has a shorter lifespan. We encourage a ceramic coating over the color change as well to help protect the wrap from UV and prolong the lifespan of the wrap too.

If money isn't an issue, the PPF with ceramic coating is a great way to protect the paint. Most top end brands like XPEL offer a 10 year warranty for the PPF.

A color change wrap (aka vinyl) wont be as thick and has a shorter lifespan. We encourage a ceramic coating over the color change as well to help protect the wrap from UV and prolong the lifespan of the wrap too.

I appreciate your reply, this makes me feel better about my initial decision to just get the PPF & Ceramic combo. I have a question for you, how can I tell if someone actually did the ceramic coating? It just seems like one of those things that someone says they did but there's no way of knowing. Lastly, will this get rid of spider webs or the faint lines you can only see in direct light?

'21 Black MY: PPF/ceramic/wraps are very new to me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. My wrap guy quoted me $2,800 to do a PPF full front & rocker panels, and full ceramic coating with color correction. Seems like a fair price (this also includes the front two windows getting tinted). It also would be roughly the same for me to do a full vinyl wrap.

I'm wondering if I'd be making a mistake not going with a full vinyl wrap? I'm not sure about the maintenance and how pristine you can keep vinyl. I'm already at a disadvantage because I have a black MY so keeping that looking nice has been a chore but manageable.

Hopefully one of these will help me minimize the spider webs forming over time (I'm already starting to see form only after a month of owning it).

TL;dr Which is the best to keep looking nice over time a PPF & Ceramic combo or a vinyl wrap for a black MY?

Ready to have your mind blown...check out stek USA film. You can get matte, carbon fiber, metallic, etc. all shorts of options!!! PPF is best.

PPF with paint correction will be amazing. Remember you will still see unsightly rock chips just as you would with no PPF. Also I would skip the ceramic coating crap. Just apply a spray on silicone/ceramic coating after each wash- takes about 5 minutes and will save you hundreds of dollars. Unless you are super careful you will still get swirls in the paint. If you want your ceramic coating guy to put his money where his mouth is- ask him to warranty against any swirls.

thats a fair amount of coin. I've owned prior vehicles for an average of 5 years and about 80k miles or so. When I've sold them, the paint was glossy, clear, and maybe a few very small tiny normal chips on the front of the car. Nothing major at all. And certainly no chips or anything on any other part of the cars. And when I've had the occasional door ding, I used a PDR guy for less than $100. (I doubt PPF stops actual dents?)

I guess Im just not sold on the cost benefit. THen again, I also garage my cars and wash/wax them 3-4 times per year. Which I actually enjoy doing

thats a fair amount of coin. I've owned prior vehicles for an average of 5 years and about 80k miles or so. When I've sold them, the paint was glossy, clear, and maybe a few very small tiny normal chips on the front of the car. Nothing major at all. And certainly no chips or anything on any other part of the cars. And when I've had the occasional door ding, I used a PDR guy for less than $100. (I doubt PPF stops actual dents?)

I guess Im just not sold on the cost benefit. THen again, I also garage my cars and wash/wax them 3-4 times per year. Which I actually enjoy doing

apparently Tesla paint is far worse than other cars. I thought all that PPF was overkill and really only something for the detailing/enthusiast crowd. Then, somebody on Reddit posted a photo of his/her paint damage after two weeks of winter driving. The paint is just pitted with holes. So I’m starting to reconsider my stance.

I've decided to PPF + Ceramic Coat because of all the warnings that I've read about with the Tesla Paint. Also it doesn't help that I'll be street parking the MY in NYC.

Out of curiosity - what's everyone seeing for cost estimates for PPF + Ceramic Coating?

That used to be the way. Not anymore, Xpel, Stek, and others all offer PPF is patterns, colors, textures, you name it! Enjoy your cake!
They are limited in the variety of colors/textures of their PPF options.

I appreciate your reply, this makes me feel better about my initial decision to just get the PPF & Ceramic combo. I have a question for you, how can I tell if someone actually did the ceramic coating? It just seems like one of those things that someone says they did but there's no way of knowing. Lastly, will this get rid of spider webs or the faint lines you can only see in direct light?
Honestly, if you are worried about IF they are applying the Ceramic Coating or not, ask if you can watch them install it, and observe. Explain your concern. I think you are referring to swirl marks when you say the spider web effect. Paint Correction solves this. Immediately after the Paint is "restored" (corrected), the installation of the PPF and/or the Ceramic Coating is needed to protect the paint/clear coat.

HOWEVER, once you have done Paint Correction and installed PPF, Color Change Wrap, and/or Ceramic Coating... it can easily get NEW swirl/spider webs!! HOW?!!! you ask? Swirl is 99% caused by YOU (the car owner). Bad Washing Methods, Bad Drying Methods, and using those dang Dusters.

Foam Cannon washing, 2 Bucket washing method, and air blow drying are the best ways to prevent the return of the swirls. Stay out of drive through car "Wappy" washes that use things that Wap your car. "Touchless" car washes are ok.

I've decided to PPF + Ceramic Coat because of all the warnings that I've read about with the Tesla Paint. Also it doesn't help that I'll be street parking the MY in NYC.

Out of curiosity - what's everyone seeing for cost estimates for PPF + Ceramic Coating?

Just for PPF (not ceramic) I’ve gotten $5.5k for the whole car vs $1750-2200 for the front end and rocker panels. I’m going to see if I can find a quote for less. More expensive quote was for xpel vs suntek.