Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF (matte) opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All-

Looking for some feedback!

Just got my car fully wrapped in matte PPF. Templates were used, so edges were not wrapped.

Wanted to get folks opinion on a few things I noticed. I’ll be meeting up with the installer again to go over things.

1. There are a few places the film doesn’t meet the edge and it’s noticeable to me. what should be acceptable?

2. Trapped fiber under PPF

3. Should the bumper sensors be cut out?

4. Odd squiggle under PPF

Appreciate your opinions, and perhaps I’m being too picky?

Model3 PPF

IMO, if you go with full matte PPF the edges should be wrapped, or else you see some of the shiny edges and it would look a little off.
For the bumper sensors, people have reported no issue without the cut out. How much did you end up paying for the full wrap if you don't mind posting?

IMO, if you go with full matte PPF the edges should be wrapped, or else you see some of the shiny edges and it would look a little off.
For the bumper sensors, people have reported no issue without the cut out. How much did you end up paying for the full wrap if you don't mind posting?
I was under the impression that they would be wrapped, but it didn’t happen. It’s now about how to optimize the edge gaps. Is there a way to send a cost details in a private message?

I was under the impression that they would be wrapped, but it didn’t happen. It’s now about how to optimize the edge gaps. Is there a way to send a cost details in a private message?

If the shop told you that the edges would be wrapped then they should redo it for you. Some shops that use template would customize the template a bit so they have some extra area to wrap the edges. I was asking about the price because sometimes if it's too good of a price, you might not get what you expect.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I was asking a shop about this, and for matte, instead of relief cuts they sometimes have to use extra cuts or pieces because they don't want any gloss to show through (better to have a nearly invisible seam). This is the first example I have seen where the edges were not wrapped on a matte job.

The air bubbles are something that can happen and why detailers will have you come back in within the week of your install to take care of them. With matte any scratches in it will be much more noticeable than a clear PPF. I know matte/stealth is very popular but it does have it's potential negatives.

As for the job, you said you had the impression the edges would be wrapped. Is this because of other wraps you've seen out there or because they explained the type of wrap they would do or did you ask for specifics? For anyone contemplating getting their car wrapped, be sure to investigate the type of wraps, check out a few recommended shops and see their work. Ask questions while there. Since you are spending a considerable amount of money in materials and labor, having a clear understanding of what you are buying is paramount.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL
If the shop told you that the edges would be wrapped then they should redo it for you. Some shops that use template would customize the template a bit so they have some extra area to wrap the edges. I was asking about the price because sometimes if it's too good of a price, you might not get what you expect.

The job cost 5k. Hmm the templates are customizable, that’s good to know.

The air bubbles are something that can happen and why detailers will have you come back in within the week of your install to take care of them. With matte any scratches in it will be much more noticeable than a clear PPF. I know matte/stealth is very popular but it does have it's potential negatives.

As for the job, you said you had the impression the edges would be wrapped. Is this because of other wraps you've seen out there or because they explained the type of wrap they would do or did you ask for specifics? For anyone contemplating getting their car wrapped, be sure to investigate the type of wraps, check out a few recommended shops and see their work. Ask questions while there. Since you are spending a considerable amount of money in materials and labor, having a clear understanding of what you are buying is paramount.

In my correspondence with the shop, I asked about wrapped edges (whether they used a kit or custom cut) and they said some panels have patterns (I think this means they send it to their plotter) and generally most edges are wrapped.

At that point I didn’t ask more, since I thought that was clear to me.

In my correspondence with the shop, I asked about wrapped edges (whether they used a kit or custom cut) and they said some panels have patterns (I think this means they send it to their plotter) and generally most edges are wrapped.

At that point I didn’t ask more, since I thought that was clear to me.

I'm in the Seattle area as well, and would like to know the name of the shop you went to, if that's ok with you?

Looking for some feedback!

Just got my car fully wrapped in matte PPF. Templates were used, so edges were not wrapped.

Wanted to get folks opinion on a few things I noticed. I’ll be meeting up with the installer again to go over things.

1. There are a few places the film doesn’t meet the edge and it’s noticeable to me. what should be acceptable?

2. Trapped fiber under PPF

3. Should the bumper sensors be cut out?

4. Odd squiggle under PPF

Appreciate your opinions, and perhaps I’m being too picky?

Model3 PPF[/QUOTE]

1. - depending on the panel, the film can't always wrap around the edges. PPF doesn't have the same ability to be crammed into edges and "pockets" the same way that vinyl does. If you try, it can lift and you would end up being very unhappy with how it looked. That being said, it should be trimmed as close as possible to the edge. there shouldn't be very much gloss showing at all. I'd be curious to see how close they got to the edge.
2. Metropolitan Detail is 100% correct, if they can't lift it and get it out, they should replace it.
3. bumper sensors have to be cut out because they will read that something is in front of them if you leave the film on. They will beep nonstop as if you are about to hit something.
4. this could be a defect or contamination in the film, in either case, your installer should replace or fix.

You aren't being too picky with what you are asking. The edges situations should have hopefully been explained before installation and all the things you are seeing and wondering about are totally warranted to ask. PPF isn't cheap, you deserve to ask anything you want!!

Reactions: Metropolitan Detail
Probably the best thing a potential purchaser of PPF can do is visually inspect other cars that are being wrapped in the shop that are the same model as your car. The shop we used has one, maybe two guys, with the most training and experience in PPF doing the PPF work. Other guys there assist with the cleaning of the car etc. With PPF you really want someone who has been doing this for some time and does great work. It's not something to be rushed either. And as mentioned bubbles or sometimes a wrinkle can form and is pretty normal and can be corrected when brought in for your check.

We had a full body wrap done on our Model 3 and I'd say the area where the bumper meets the body panels are probably the areas where I've noticed you'll have a visible seam gap (did not want to have the bumpers removed for a full wrap there). Another tough area will be front bumper recessed areas. Pretty much think all the other areas of the car were able to be wrapped fully but I'd have to check my car to say for sure. With clear PPF and a white car just really hard to notice unless really close to the body. While protection of the paint from flying road stones, door dings, shopping carts and minor car scrapes is the main goal in buying PPF, having it look more or less invisible esthetically surely is a secondary goal. I personally would not be happy to see edging like I do on the door panels etc where clearly there is panel separation where film could have been wrapped inward.