Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF: shop recommendation or DIY? [Bay area, CA]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking of getting a full front PPF for my Model Y.

I see Tesbros sell a DIY kit for $800. And that's including material & tools. So I assume the material cost should be even less. I quoted several shops in San Jose and the range I get for pre-cut installation is $1800 - $2500.

Since I don't have a garage so DIY might be a hard option. For shop installs, even considering the high labor cost in US, the quotes seem too high. Any shop recommendations in bay area with reasonable pricing?

Thanks

Last edited:
I got mine done at Mum Sports in Fremont. Great quality and competitive price. No affiliation, just a happy customer

I do NOT recommend Mum Sports. I had my ppf done there and had several different issues and the owner there (Sayed) did everything he could to weasel out of correcting it. My car was literally brand new off the lot and I brought it there to get wrapped immediately. They left my white interior DIRTY, scratched up my console, cracked a taillight, literally cut corners in multiple points for a full wrap.

Avoid Mum at all costs!

I do NOT recommend Mum Sports. I had my ppf done there and had several different issues and the owner there (Sayed) did everything he could to weasel out of correcting it. My car was literally brand new off the lot and I brought it there to get wrapped immediately. They left my white interior DIRTY, scratched up my console, cracked a taillight, literally cut corners in multiple points for a full wrap.

Avoid Mum at all costs!
Yikes. And I was going to have it done by them. Probably cancel appointment

I'm not sure what "reasonable pricing" would mean when it comes to this stuff so can only relay my experience.

When I was looking around I think I found out about OCD in Fremont from this forum. There is always a month+ wait to get in, and I had the car 2 months before going in and did a road trip, fingers crossed the whole time that I wouldn't get any rock hits before the PPF install. (I didn't get any)

I had them do a full wrap in Nov 21. Very expensive, but I can't imagine anyone doing it better. Oh yes, they had the car all week.

There was one follow up where they checked everything and got rid of the teeny bubbles that always appear during a wrap.

In 2022 someone accidentally banged my rear left quarter panel with their door. There was a visible dent, and the PPF took a very slight bit of damage but the paint was saved.

I stopped by OCD and they checked it out. I made an appointment to have it fixed. They had another guy come by to fix the dent using some sort of voodoo and magic. Then they replaced the PPF section. OCD covered 1/2 of the cost of the PPF panel material/install. I can't even find where the damage used to be. There was also one minor "problem" with the PPF that I pointed out. Joe had it fixed for me, no charge.

I had them do some more tinting a couple of weeks ago while I waited. Joe got me an Uber into town where I worked on my laptop for 2 hours at a coffee place.

Joe the owner is "crazy" in a good way. If it's not perfect he will be sure it's made right. When you go there the place is always packed with Teslas, and always something exotic. Check out their youtube channel too.

Teslas everywhere and an exotic.

Attachments

• ocd.jpg
    ocd.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 60
  • ocd2.jpg
    ocd2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: YisSerL