Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PPF under spoiler? Or tuck it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bull

Chatting is great, just don't shoot the Bull.
Supporting Member
Oct 25, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Are your PPF guys removing the CF spoiler or are they tucking the PPF under it. I'm worried that the spoiler will stay taped on top of the PPF. That would be an expensive mistake if it decides to blow on on the highway (while going exactly the speed limit of course).

Are your PPF guys removing the CF spoiler or are they tucking the PPF under it. I'm worried that the spoiler will stay taped on top of the PPF. That would be an expensive mistake if it decides to blow on on the highway (while going exactly the speed limit of course).
tuck

The PPF is non-adhesive by design and the spoiler will fly right off like this guy's (point 7) Model S Plaid/LR 2021 Refresh Issues Thread. Even if you sand the PPF to make it more receptive to glue, it won't be anywhere close to the OEM bond strength.

I spoke with my PPF guy about this and he says he removes the spoilers and etches the PPF so it adheres. Says he has never had a problem and it is much cleaner that way.

My installer used Xpel’s template which leaves a small seam at the side:
610cf3a2-9fb0-45c3-a85b-871a79b13e6c-jpeg.698069

I don't have PPF on the trunk of my F30 w/ the M-Performance spoiler, but if you logic through it, you should not stick the spoiler to your PPF. The spoiler if functional will generate a certain amount of pull and down force. The adhesive applied from the factory is 3M VHB which has a higher level of tackiness then the PPF. Of course one could argue that the PPF adhesive may hold up to XXXmph, but would you chance it?

Reactions: Sigma4Life
Perhaps etch is not the best choice of words but your comment about him not being very bright is out of line. They are the top installer in the area with a waiting list of Teslas waiting to get in.

For others reading this thread, they did remove the spoiler and put the PPF under it. No seams or edges. It has been almost 6 months now and the spoiler is rock solid. I would do it this way again.

Mine PPF installer does it whatever way the customer wants and he does “etch” the PPF to remove the ceramic coating that comes on Suntek Reaction film by using some rubbing compound so that emblems or anything will stick and that’s what he would do if I removed my spoiler.

I chose not to remove the spoiler.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and Bull