Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-heating without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2016 P90 model X and love the car, however (like some others) are trying to best optimize range in the winter months. I had a question that wasn’t as clear to me searching through other posts:

Is it advised to pre-heat the car when your not attached to a charging station? A common scenario for me is to go on a day ski trip and park at the top of the mountain and return to a cold car. The first 10-15 miles are all steep downhill and would seem great to utilize for regen. Is it worthwhile to turn the heater on 30-45 minutes or so prior to returning to the car or does that defeat the benefit?

My main issue is that my anticipated battery reserve from a round trip is only 3-5%.

Thanks

Well firstly, 3-5% is not enough of a reserve to play with! You should really be playing with 10% as a minimum, ideally closer to 20%. 3-5% is going to give you some very real range anxiety!

As for pre-heating while not plugged into the mains, it's more for the occupants benefit rather than the car. Typically I pre-heat the cabin about 10-15 mins before setting off. 30-45 mins would be a waste of energy. The battery side of things will take care of itself with regard to warming.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Hi,

I recently purchased a 2016 P90 model X and love the car, however (like some others) are trying to best optimize range in the winter months. I had a question that wasn’t as clear to me searching through other posts:

Is it advised to pre-heat the car when your not attached to a charging station? A common scenario for me is to go on a day ski trip and park at the top of the mountain and return to a cold car. The first 10-15 miles are all steep downhill and would seem great to utilize for regen. Is it worthwhile to turn the heater on 30-45 minutes or so prior to returning to the car or does that defeat the benefit?

My main issue is that my anticipated battery reserve from a round trip is only 3-5%.

Thanks

If your power budget is that tight, I would recommend range mode (which reduces heating) and leaving the climate system completely off. It sure beats walking!

Reactions: KerryOH
We ski a lot and I can tell you from a few years doing it with our X90D you should stop and supercharge or add some kind of range before parking it in the lot at the mountain. You're going to lose range with the car just sitting there in the parking lot, it depends how cold it is, but last year when we were in Vermont it was -12 at the base of the mountain and the car lost several miles just sitting because of the cold. We do the same trips to go hiking and the winter really does eat a lot of range out of the pack.