Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre/post-2020 18” wheel difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C0D89406-AE4D-4F76-98FB-9E79A5457D9F.jpeg
Is there really a difference between the pre and post-2020 18” wheels? Or just the wheel covers?

I am looking to buy a spare and would like them all to match, and at the very least be able to mount my 2023 wheel covers.

EF78645A-7C5C-491A-B3A6-11C418FA5EB3.png

878BC5F8-484A-4F19-9283-5F00C30409AF.jpeg

My friend noticed an obvious cosmetic difference. I am now wondering if the 2023 wheel covers will fit, and my guess is that they will not fit correctly. So I guess I should hold out for the correct wheel for a spare (or extra pair of rears).

so even though the wheels are clearly different, as are the wheel covers, this Tesla page makes it look like 2021-2023 wheel covers will fit a 2017-2020 wheel.

212B6D1C-E62C-4F02-B35A-DE8D2B7227DE.jpeg

I have both pre/post wheels.
Pre wheel spokes are more rounded design. The cover has narrow opening
Post wheel spokes are more sharper edge design. The cover has wider opening

Weight and weight limit are the same and covers are interchangeable.

Personally I like post wheels without cover because sharper edge gives more sporty light reflection under the sun/lights

Reactions: mknmike
I have both pre/post wheels.
Pre wheel spokes are more rounded design. The cover has narrow opening
Post wheel spokes are more sharper edge design. The cover has wider opening

Personally I like post wheels without cover because sharper edge gives more sporty light reflection under the sun/lights
Thank you for this. I will now just have to decide whether for spare wheels I should pay more for the later style or not. I’m thinking of getting two that could be used for cheap tires I can burn up, or even potentially for winter tires. I figure the fronts should not get burnt up as quickly as the rears. So two spares will be better than one. I don’t mind the hubcaps and bought the car for its efficiency. So I imagine we will use the wheel covers most of the time. I think I can save a few bucks and functionally get what I want for less this way. It does provide a bit less flexibility though. I will have to weigh that into my decision.

Just another confirmation. I have the newer 18" wheels and covers with the all season tires that came with my 2021 M3 LR and the older wheels and covers for the snow tires I bought for it. Both type of covers fit both type of wheels.

The Aero Wheel Caps (which I have as well) also fit both old and new wheel styles.

Last edited:
Reactions: mknmike
Just another confirmation. I have the newer 18" wheels and covers with the all season tires that came with my 2021 M3 LR and the older wheels and covers for the snow tires I bought for it. Both type of covers fit both type of wheels.
The Aero Wheel Caps (which I have as well) also fit both old and new wheel styles.
Well, I bought two refurbished gen1 wheels and two 8/32 tires that are identical to the ones on the car. I hope there aren’t any issues with newer rear brake calipers hitting, but will provide an update as soon as the wheels and the Jack pads I’ve ordered arrive.

TPMS is still an outstanding decision of what to do for these two extra wheels.

Reactions: MLXXXp