Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Predicted mileage on main screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible to put the predicted mileage on the main screen instead of rated miles?
Just curious to specifically what you'd like to see? What would this range be based on? Any type or range number like that isn't going to be a good estimation of reality unless you have a route programed into the NAV. Going uphill/downhill, headwind/tailwind...all thise things can have a significant impact on range.

If the NAV predicts you'll get to your destination with "x" miles left, how should it calculate x? What if your destination was the top of a large hill you are going up? Should it assume you'll keep going up hill with the rest of the battery that is left? Likely you'll next go down a big hill....but possibly not.

I've been meaning to suggest this. I'd like that number to reflect your current selection in the energy display, namely last 5, 15, or 30 miles (average or instant). I'd even like to be able to enter in the efficiency in wh/mile, because I know what that's going to be given a particular route.

In the meantime, bringing up the energy screen works, but having the current estimate visible at a glance is better than having and inaccurate number up there.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to suggest this. I'd like that number to reflect your current selection in the energy display, namely last 5, 15, or 30 miles (average or instant). I'd even like to be able to enter in the efficiency in wh/mile, because I know what that's going to be given a particular route.

In the meantime, bringing up the energy screen works, but having the current estimate visible at a glance is better than having and inaccurate number up there.
I agree with the fact that the rated miles display is inaccurate and to a certain extent pointless (although by the time it gets down under 50 miles, I think it's reasonably accurate).

My question is, however, is the arrival SOC percentage (when navigating to a destination) not an acceptable "quick glance" source of the information you want? When navigating to a destination, percentage remaining is actually quite useful, and is displayed at the bottom of the navigation display. You can even keep an eye on it to see whether it's increasing or decreasing throughout your trip.

I do see that it could be useful to have an estimated range shown there is you want to reserve some range at your destination (maybe for a return trip, or to do local travel at the destination) and you don't want to do the math to convert from a percentage to miles.

Of course this is not visible when not actively navigating, although I'm usually just doing local driving them and hardly ever need to know what my estimated range is since I'm going to plug in long before it gets low enough to matter.

Agree. The main screen display element that can be toggled between battery percentage and range is totally useless because it's totally inaccurate. It can get a car -- filled with a family in winter! -- into a dangerous situation if they misunderstand it. That's why I always leave that toggled to estimated battery percentage (which itself is of questionable accuracy, by the way, for reasons I won't get into here) on my Model Y to avoid relying on it in anyway. It's worthless in real-world, practical use.

In contrast, my Volvo XC40 all-electric has the Volvo range estimator, which can be left in the bottom position of the Google Assistant main screen and seems to be reasonably accurate, taking into account temperature. Also, if one taps on it, it opens the full Range Assistant app in the Volvo. That app actually shows you a range of possible range values that you might have left based on current conditions, speed, climate settings, etc. It seems to be reasonably accurate.

In summary, Tesla needs to add an option to set that number along the top of the main screen to be estimated range based on current conditions and not rated range. This has been a running complaint by tons of Tesla owners for *years* now. Just searching this site shows that people have been talking about this a looooong time now.

What factors does the car use to calculate 'Rated Miles'?