Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When going to my vehicle details on Tesla's site, I see Standard connectivity with an option to upgrade. When clicking the Upgrade link, despite having a payment method on file, I get a "Something went wrong" message. There has been no charge to my credit card since the 2019-12-31 expiration date.
Purchased the car used, took delivery on 2019-04-26. Outdoors. In the rain.
A vast difference from my first used Tesla which was delivered indoors, fully detailed and shiny on 2017-11-02.

Here is the writing for you from after your time of sale that says connectivity levels for used vehicles do not change through a sale: Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity
The smoking gun! Nice work @npardo!

For reference, the text in question (italics mine):
"How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for as long as the car is active. All used Tesla cars purchased on or after July 1, 2018 will have either Standard Connectivity or Premium Connectivity, as connectivity service levels will remain active through a sale or ownership transfer of the car. Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen."

Reactions: Akikiki
The smoking gun! Nice work @npardo!

For reference, the text in question (italics mine):
"How are used Tesla cars affected by this policy?
All used Tesla cars purchased on or before June 30, 2018 will continue to have the Premium Connectivity features described above at no cost for as long as the car is active. All used Tesla cars purchased on or after July 1, 2018 will have either Standard Connectivity or Premium Connectivity, as connectivity service levels will remain active through a sale or ownership transfer of the car. Premium Connectivity will be available for purchase via the in-car touchscreen."

Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately the archive doesn't have a more recent copy of that page (though it was unchanged until December 2019), but that is a clear example from after July 1st, 2018 that shows that Tesla did not stipulate used cars lose Premium connectivity if they were originally sold before July 2018.

The wording there, to me, reads that if a car was originally sold new after July 2018, that it would come with standard connectivity when resold. Likewise, if a car was originally sold with premium connectivity, that it would retain that through sale.

Contrast that with the wording on the current connectivity page, you'll see all of the changes and clarifications that Tesla made to explicitly include used cars in the policy. (They changed the above answer to say used cars come with Standard connectivity and added a section that says premium connectivity is removed upon trade in or return to Tesla). I do believe that it was their intention all along to include used cars in the policy, but they definitely did not inform customers or sales employees in any way of that policy and should legally have to honor it for every used car sold until December 2019 when they made the change.

If they come back to me and say I'm SOL, I will take them to arbitration over it. Has absolutely nothing to do with the money for me, just the principle. They can't change the rules after sale.

Reactions: Akikiki
Did they actually revoke your premium connectivity or were you just afraid it would be gone?
With a recent update of the Tesla website (and in-car) I was notified that my premium connectivity would expire on 2019-12-31. It was working through yesterday after tat least and I hadn’t been charged.

I already had a credit card on file with Tesla. I had looked at the option for subscription to premium a couple times but the site always showed a small error message but today o got charged. It hadn’t stopped working.

But I do need the live traffic. I have a 50-mile commute each way and it helps especially in the afternoon rush hour.

Although I should still have premium through 2020-04-26 since that is one year after I bought the car used, but calling Tesla these days is worse than calling Comcast cable.

• Funny
Reactions: ahkahn
Thanks. Yeah, unfortunately the archive doesn't have a more recent copy of that page (though it was unchanged until December 2019), but that is a clear example from after July 1st, 2018 that shows that Tesla did not stipulate used cars lose Premium connectivity if they were originally sold before July 2018.

The wording there, to me, reads that if a car was originally sold new after July 2018, that it would come with standard connectivity when resold. Likewise, if a car was originally sold with premium connectivity, that it would retain that through sale.

Contrast that with the wording on the current connectivity page, you'll see all of the changes and clarifications that Tesla made to explicitly include used cars in the policy. (They changed the above answer to say used cars come with Standard connectivity and added a section that says premium connectivity is removed upon trade in or return to Tesla). I do believe that it was their intention all along to include used cars in the policy, but they definitely did not inform customers or sales employees in any way of that policy and should legally have to honor it for every used car sold until December 2019 when they made the change.

If they come back to me and say I'm SOL, I will take them to arbitration over it. Has absolutely nothing to do with the money for me, just the principle. They can't change the rules after sale.
I fall into this category as well. Mine was originally purchased prior to the July date and then I bought the car. I too feel as you noted. I never expected to loose premium but I did today. This was one reason to buy this particular car over the other :(.

This brings up another point. If you sell your car with AP or FSD does that remain with the car (or does it go with the driver say they purchase another Tesla). I would hate to sell it with a feature that get removed down the road.

I fall into this category as well. Mine was originally purchased prior to the July date and then I bought the car. I too feel as you noted. I never expected to loose premium but I did today. This was one reason to buy this particular car over the other :(.

This brings up another point. If you sell your car with AP or FSD does that remain with the car (or does it go with the driver say they purchase another Tesla). I would hate to sell it with a feature that get removed down the road.
So you lost your premium connectivity today?

FSD stays with the car. Does not "belong" to the owner so you can "add" it to your next. Sorry, wish it too. But that's the way its been going on those selling and even trading in.

npardo, it appears from the chart on this page that Used Tesla's ordered before/on 6/30/18 do in fact get Free Premium
Connectivity

That is correct. The discussion here is for people who bought used cars after June 30th, 2018, and before December 2019 when Tesla updated their site.

Currently, Tesla is "revoking" lifetime free premium connectivity for owners who purchased their used cars after July 2018. The policy they are citing as a means to do this was created in December 2019 (a.k.a. after people purchased their cars). This is a bait and switch move, which is why I cited what their website said at the time to show that.

That is correct. The discussion here is for people who bought used cars after June 30th, 2018, and before December 2019 when Tesla updated their site.

Currently, Tesla is "revoking" lifetime free premium connectivity for owners who purchased their used cars after July 2018. The policy they are citing as a means to do this was created in December 2019 (a.k.a. after people purchased their cars). This is a bait and switch move, which is why I cited what their website said at the time to show that.

******************************************************************************************************
npardo, I agree with you that the language previously used was vague / confusing. As I previously posted in another thread, here are the dates at which things changed with Tesla. Remember these dates: October 5th 2018 and December 7th 2019. The classic, bait and switch 14 months later for "used" Tesla's:

• Waybackmachine language about premium connectivity on October 5th 2018 before they removed it, revised it and then launched their new tesla.com/support connectivity on December 7th 2019. Basically they thought about it for a year and decided to pull all premium features from "used" Tesla's. Changed their terms on what "premium features" means, and shafted new owners after July 2018. It's not the $10 per month, it is the principle of the matter.

***Here are my references from:
  • Waybackmachine: October 5th 2018, "premium connectivity" last found on FAQ... then disappears for a year and reappears below.
Wayback Machine
  • waybackmachine states that tesla.com/support/connectivity went live December 7th 2019:
Wayback Machine

*** Let m know if anyone decides to take this to the next step. I'm on board fighting this.

Last edited: