Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought it used on July 4th, 2019.
Model 3 Long Range Performance AWD
STD options for this model in 2018
I truly mean this with all due respect: you’re posting your issue on a model s forum about your model 3. I’m not a Tesla pro. but with my limited knowledge there are almost no similarities between our vehicles.

To be fair. This particular thread has no bearing on what car you have. Just when you bought it.
I get that. But I wouldn't assume that the issues I have with my model s would be the same as model 3 owners. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't go onto a M3 forum and look for answers about my model s. I'm not being an ass about it, I'm just saying that the issue that he is having may not be related to the issue we are having based on the model of the car. This is actually a perfect example: i havent heard of a model s owner losing premium connectivity yet - but I could be wrong.

Hm. My car (early 2016 90D) still has it (could listen to podcasts and saw live traffic updates).

My reading of things indicates that it should have it (car made before cutoff, sold used before they updated the policy to say they'd strip it from used cars). My infotainment screen has the cut-off warning.

I have a pending firmware update to 2019.40.2.1 that I'm not installing.

purchased my used 2015 P85D though Tesla in Nov 18' and although I have the the premium connectivity expiration showing in the software screen it's still working which is nice. My moms Model 3 stopped on Saturday so I was expecting mine to as well.

I bought my 2016 MS used from Tesla in Oct. 2018. Paid for premium connectivity and I still have it, even though the software screen in the car shows "Standard Connectivity". My Tesla account shows "payment pending" for the last two weeks now, although the charge hit my account a week or so ago. I think Tesla is having real issues deploying all of this properly.

I understood I would have connectivity for life too based on the sales pitch, meaning at least what MCU1 can handle, which is basically better maps and music streaming. But I have been so pleased with the car, I won't object much about paying $10 a month to keep it, but I am a little perplexed that there isn't a tiered option for MCU1 and MCU2 cars since MCU2 can do so much more with Premium Connectivity than mine can.

purchased my used 2015 P85D though Tesla in Nov 18' and although I have the the premium connectivity expiration showing in the software screen it's still working which is nice. My moms Model 3 stopped on Saturday so I was expecting mine to as well.
Thats my point. There is definitely a difference in model 3 and model s when purchasing with premium connectivity. I don't know the exact details but, those of us who purchased used before the new December policy aren't going to have to pay the monthly rate to keep our premium connectivity that was promised to us. So I'm no longer worried.

I don't know the exact details but, those of us who purchased used before the new December policy aren't going to have to pay the monthly rate to keep our premium connectivity that was promised to us. So I'm no longer worried.
That’s the first I’ve heard of that. Where did you get that? I emailed Tesla customer support (through the form submission on the website) a few weeks ago and they replied that older Model S MCU1 owners of used cars purchased after the cutoff were subject to the new policy too and would not have any reduced pricing compared to MCU2 or Model 3 owners. Wonder if that was just boilerplate reply. Then again, the only people I’ve heard from that have actually had their premium connectivity taken away so far have been Model 3 owners. Maybe they’ll just perpetually not enforce it for us...?

That’s the first I’ve heard of that. Where did you get that? I emailed Tesla customer support (through the form submission on the website) a few weeks ago and they replied that older Model S MCU1 owners of used cars purchased after the cutoff were subject to the new policy too and would not have any reduced pricing compared to MCU2 or Model 3 owners. Wonder if that was just boilerplate reply. Then again, the only people I’ve heard from that have actually had their premium connectivity taken away so far have been Model 3 owners. Maybe they’ll just perpetually not enforce it for us...?

Yes please @random155 , cite your source or state if you are speculating. The only people I have heard who have lost premium connectivity are those who purchased their car new after June 30th, 2018. Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the model of the car. If someone purchased a 2017 model 3 used in July, 2019 (like I was thinking about doing), they would be in the exact same boat as the rest of us.

Yes please @random155 , cite your source or state if you are speculating. The only people I have heard who have lost premium connectivity are those who purchased their car new after June 30th, 2018. Again, I don't think this has anything to do with the model of the car. If someone purchased a 2017 model 3 used in July, 2019 (like I was thinking about doing), they would be in the exact same boat as the rest of us.
I reached out to my delivery advisor who got in touch with "management". The information I got was that I would not lose my premium connectivity but the details are currently being worked out with their legal department. I was told that I was in a "group" of buyers who would not lose premium connectivity. I bought used March 2019.

I reached out to my delivery advisor who got in touch with "management". The information I got was that I would not lose my premium connectivity but the details are currently being worked out with their legal department. I was told that I was in a "group" of buyers who would not lose premium connectivity. I bought used March 2019.

Good to hear. My agent said that a resolution was taking longer than expected to reach but didn't give me confirmation one way or another. I am glad it looks like Tesla is going to make it right, but i feel they should be doing it blanket across the board once they realized their error. Anyone who bought a used car between July 2018 and December 2019 should be grandfathered in, not just those who complained.

Reactions: DeanP
Good to hear. My agent said that a resolution was taking longer than expected to reach but didn't give me confirmation one way or another. I am glad it looks like Tesla is going to make it right, but i feel they should be doing it blanket across the board once they realized their error. Anyone who bought a used car between July 2018 and December 2019 should be grandfathered in, not just those who complained.
I was not told specifically, but I think that's the plan. But, I could be wrong.

I was notified by Tesla that premium connectivity for my May 2018 MS100D would end on December 31, 2019. I was given the option to continue premium connectivity past that date for a monthly fee. I signed up for it.

I lost mine as well. Bought used 9/18. Signed up and my account reflects premium now. When my MCU 1 dies, will ask for an upgrade to MCU2, since I am paying now for a premium service, I expect premium performance..