TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Price floor? '12 ebay salvage - 52K miles - $35K with 19 bids - 7 days to go

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

It's interesting to compare market pricing on these as they get older vs. other luxury sedans in the same price range.

Currently the cheapest S on ebay is a 2012 P85 with 52,000 miles and a salvage title. The auction still has over a week to go and it has 19 bids already with a current price of over $35,000. Remember - this is 5 years old, the most unreliable year, worst build quality of the fleet, no more bumper-to-bumper warranty, no autopilot - and the darn thing has been crashed. The listing takes pains to distinguish between a "rebuilt title prior salvage" and a "salvage title" - in the minds of most buyers I imagine they are the same thing.

2012 Tesla Model S P85

In comparison a 2012 BMW 750 AWD with a salvage title and similar miles - 50,000 - is almost to the end of its auction - only 4 hours to go - has 37 bids and has found a market price right above $18,000.

So as of right now the market is valuing this Tesla at least double that of the BMW. The difference is quite dramatic.

2012 BMW 7-Series Base Sedan 4-Door

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  2. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I've seen a couple of high mileage clean title early model 60s go through auction for $29k. Since the free super charging ended prices have seemed to creep up (plus tax season). I ball park the floor at $30k but I guess the market says I'm wrong.

• Informative x 1
  3. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Its probably all about how much the battery is worth. The 2012 BMW doesnt have a giant expensive battery that could be sold for a good chunk of cash or even repourposed into someones home storage solution.

• Informative x 1
  4. mmd

mmd Active Member

#4 mmd, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    BMW 750 also seems much cheaper when new compared to a new P85. I think, the P85 with options was well over $110k in 2012, Here is kbb fair price for a new 2016 BMW 750i. About $84k.
    Kelley Blue Book

Another factor is that Tesla is still kind of a new car. BMW 750 sedans are sold since 1990, or may be even earlier than that.
    Used 1990 BMW 7 Series Sedan Pricing & Features | Edmunds

5. Kost-95

Kost-95 Member

Your wrong its not the same thing a rebuilt title "prior salvage" means it passed state inspection and a "salvage title " means you have to still pass state inspection, very big difference.

• Informative x 1