Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price Negotiation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I brought my FX a dash replacement just two day before my warranty was to expire the dealership listed off a bunch of other repairs that were common problems with the car and asked if I wanted them "fixed". Since it was no cost to me and some of them might act up next week I had them do all the list.

Sounds more like a dealer scamming the warranty program to me. Nice way to drive up costs for the manufacturer. Wonder who pays for that in the long run...

For what it's worth, a 2.0 should be $10k off (used to be $20k), and I'm sure there are deals on used or demo'ed roadsters. Doesn't hurt to ask your local rep ... I personally stayed away from it as it can't take the double-din radio and it doesn't have some of the extra sound-dampening stuff in it.
The loan through BoA is very low interest for the US - even for 72 month loans (which is what I did).
Btw the factory warranty (on a new one at least) is 3 years 36k miles for basically everything and is transferrable. The extended warranty covers basically everything except the battery for an additional 3/36 and is transferrable ($50 fee). You have 90 days to decide if you want it, too. Same 90 days for the battery replacement option.

For what it's worth, a 2.0 should be $10k off (used to be $20k), and I'm sure there are deals on used or demo'ed roadsters. Doesn't hurt to ask your local rep ... I personally stayed away from it as it can't take the double-din radio and it doesn't have some of the extra sound-dampening stuff in it.
The loan through BoA is very low interest for the US - even for 72 month loans (which is what I did).
Btw the factory warranty (on a new one at least) is 3 years 36k miles for basically everything and is transferrable. The extended warranty covers basically everything except the battery for an additional 3/36 and is transferrable ($50 fee). You have 90 days to decide if you want it, too. Same 90 days for the battery replacement option.

Did you get a 2.5 Sport? I heard that for the left over 2.0's they are going to put 2.5 bumpers & dashes in them and market them as 2.5's if they do not sell.

Did you get a 2.5 Sport? I heard that for the left over 2.0's they are going to put 2.5 bumpers & dashes in them and market them as 2.5's if they do not sell.

Interesting - aside from the bumpers / dash change for the double din unit, what are the differences between 2.0 and 2.5. I test drove a 2.5 but bought a 2.0 and have not really noticed any other changes. I think the 2.5 had some extra sound deadning under the wheel arches held on with bits of velcro, is that it or are there other detailed changes I missed.

Alan

I really don't know eledille...only a half hour test drive in a 2.0, and about a 15 minute test drive in a 2.5 (my wife hogged the other 15 minutes :biggrin::wink:)...the whine was cool in the 2.0 because I had never heard it live and whilst riding in the car before...I think in the long run, I'd prefer the quiet...with the stereo blastin', probably makes little difference..

Is that desirable? I found the whine quite cool... :) Does it get tiresome?

Interesting - aside from the bumpers / dash change for the double din unit, what are the differences between 2.0 and 2.5. I test drove a 2.5 but bought a 2.0 and have not really noticed any other changes. I think the 2.5 had some extra sound deadning under the wheel arches held on with bits of velcro, is that it or are there other detailed changes I missed.

Alan

Also they added some sort of modification which allows for aggressive driving in 120 degree weather. Most of the left over 2.0's were well optioned and basically a lot of these options are now standard on the 2.5's. I drove both a 2.5 and 2.0 and did not notice any major differences between the two. From talking with Tesla it seems that 2.0's could easily be upgraded to 2.5 spec as there are no major mechanical changes between the two models. With the deal that I got on my Tesla (basically 30k off) + rebates I didn't think it was worth it to get a 2.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope this helps: The powertrain didn't change between 2.0 and 2.5. For exterior changes, it's just front bumper and rear diffuser. Interior = slightly different seats and headunit. The retrofitted 2.0's can include these seats and possibly the headunit (I may have conflicting information about that; it looks like it would require moving the middle vents up to make room for the double-din hole).
The extra sound-deadening is in the wheel wells so wouldn't make the motor quieter (just reduces road noise). I found the motor to be pretty quiet in general. Under hard acceleration you could hear it, but it's nothing like some of the videos on YouTube make it sound like.

When I signed my lease last Wednesday, there were only 6 demo 2.0 Roadtsers left. The way my deal worked was Tesla discounted the entire Sport Upgrade ($19.5k), an additional $10k, plus $1 for every mile on the odometer ($4.5k), for a $34k total discount. The discount doesn't include the $5k CARB rebate and the $7.5k federal tax incentive, which can only be taken advantage of if I were to buy the car at the end of the lease. The same 3 year/36k miles new car warranty applied to my lease.