Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices just Dropped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are still blowing this out of proportion except for the performance model or if they bought a week ago. My price in April is actually LOWER than current prices after considering the following.

April 2019 Order

LR AWD
White on white
19s
FSD

Stated Price Drop
$58,500 then vs $56,490 now

Price Drop Difference
$2010

Lost Savings if I Waited
$1,875 tax credit difference
$300 homelink I use everyday
$50 14-50 cable
$850 SDGE credit I would’ve missed

Total Lost Savings
$3,075

Net Loss if I Waited
$1,065

I think people are still blowing this out of proportion except for the performance model or if they bought a week ago. My price in April is actually LOWER than current prices after considering the following.

COnversely,

Late June, my car was $64,414 with tax. Now it would be $59,909. Then the tax difference, so I"m $2600 worse off. But I don't care. The only part that bothers me at all is that the white had not been all that common, but now it will likley become a lot more common.

COnversely,

Late June, my car was $64,414 with tax. Now it would be $59,909. Then the tax difference, so I"m $2600 worse off. But I don't care. The only part that bothers me at all is that the white had not been all that common, but now it will likley become a lot more common.

They should really bring back a lighter silver since other than the white the color palette is really pretty dark. While they are at it they should add tan and spice red interior options.

Instead of continuing to drop the price of the car they could add more content/value.

For example, on the SR+ they could have added Homelink and say elements of Premium connectivity and left the price flat.

On the AWD, they could have included Homelink and then throw in then 19” wheels or only charge like $500 for them and keep price flat.

On the 3P, they could offered content that the performance minded buyer would want instead of just cheapening the car by constantly lowering the price. For example, sportier seats with better side bolstering and perforate them, Adaptive suspension and heads up display, more wheel choices, aero bits like front splitter and side skirts would be other great options.

I am just saying they should find ways to add value rather than just keep dropping the prices each quarter.

Reactions: vickh
Was curious and got a trade in quote for my M3 LRRWD white/blk 500 miles 2 weeks old :
Tesla offered 38000( hahaha)
Sticker was 50400-5750 incentive =44650+4000(aprox tax)=48650
Appreciating Asset my Ass minus10k

Of course it'll depreciate by that much, because if it doesn't who will buy it when its so close to the price of a new one. Used cars have to be cheaper than a new one and the difference has to be so great that it'll entice the buyer to buy the used car. For example, if a used car is listed just a few thousand dollars lower than new, most would just get a new car.

Instead of continuing to drop the price of the car they could add more content/value.

The main problem with a volume model car is that the factory can’t scale volumes down easily and once they crank out 5000 cars/week they will have to find 5000 buyers every week otherwise it’s game over.

It’s probably easier to find 5000 buyers every week with a lower price than with added value.

I don’t think the “demand concern” from the investment community is pure FUD.

The Model 3 is an EV after all (still not mainstream) and Tesla is in pioneering territory trying to sustain volumes every month for a car that the masses are still skeptical to commit $38k+ for.

The main problem with a volume model car is that the factory can’t scale volumes down easily and once they crank out 5000 cars/week they will have to find 5000 buyers every week otherwise it’s game over.

It’s probably easier to find 5000 buyers every week with a lower price than with added value.

I don’t think the “demand concern” from the investment community is pure FUD.

The Model 3 is an EV after all (still not mainstream) and Tesla is in pioneering territory trying to sustain volumes every month for a car that the masses are still skeptical to commit $38k+ for.

Yeah I think this is spot on. Was a great Q2 but the fear is it was motivated by the Federal rebate expiring and many on the fence folks completed their order near end of Quarter as well as the company got aggressive selling inventory cars to hit great numbers for Q2.
They ramped up production finally and now need to maintain it.
If they don't hit the same or better figure for Q3 the investors will slaughter them so they had to do something. End of Q4 will again have an expiring rebate at play but Q3 had nothing so this new pricing is the hope.
I was thinking European deliveries would be the focus for Q3 but maybe the number of orders to fill for Europe is not that great.

I would LOVE to see a Tan interior option. The white is too white, tan would give all of the benefits of the white (more open feel, brighter, contrast, etc...) without the showy look of bright white. Think I will go with black over white but don't like how much smaller the inside feels with the black interior.

Reactions: 3Sweet and Octo
this drop on the M3P sways me from getting another BMW when my lease runs up soon, do we believe the price will remain the same for some time?

Same situation. Final payment in September and I hope the pricing and availability of the M3P remains through then.
I can't believe I'm considering a Tesla, it was never in the cards but is undeniable now.

I’m not sure why anybody would buy a BMW M3 now that the Model 3P is so much cheaper and faster.

true, I own a 2016 340i that would be going back for a 2020 m340i because I need AWD in my climate. The m340i msrps 64 and I lease them but it's way too much.

I have a corvette and a hellcat for summer, but unfortunately in Michigan I cannot lease a Tesla.

Lowering price just hurts the buyers. I put 17k down and would still have to come out of pocket just to sell it. Why would anyone recommend this company. They screwed the 2018 buyers Jan first and I saw they would do the same in July. They price will go down again. Just wait or lease. Or buy used. So much for Teslas holding value.

I have a LR RWD with EAP which no longer exists but the AWD version is like $10,000 less than my car was at purchase time last summer. That’s like 17% less. That’s ridiculous. For people who stretched financially to buy this car that’s like a $200/mo difference in the payment. Yes I know some manufacturers do sales big enough to match this type of chance but not as a standard price and not many. It stings a lot. Good for new potential buyers I suppose but I could now buy a performance model for less than my car. Ridiculous.

For example, on the SR+ they could have added Homelink and say elements of Premium connectivity and left the price flat.

On the AWD, they could have included Homelink and then throw in then 19” wheels or only charge like $500 for them and keep price flat.

On the 3P, they could offered content that the performance minded buyer would want instead of just cheapening the car by constantly lowering the price. For example, sportier seats with better side bolstering and perforate them, Adaptive suspension and heads up display, more wheel choices, aero bits like front splitter and side skirts would be other great options.

I am just saying they should find ways to add value rather than just keep dropping the prices each quarter.

• Disagree
Reactions: davewill
Same situation. Final payment in September and I hope the pricing and availability of the M3P remains through then.
I can't believe I'm considering a Tesla, it was never in the cards but is undeniable now.

Yeah, if you can charge at home and can accommodate the other EV quirks, a P3 is VASTLY superior over a BMW inline six.

I have a Z4 35i with the six cylinder turbo engine (not quite as tuned as an M3 but same bones) and it’s ridiculous how the P3 drivetrain is in another galaxy quality wise.

I have to switch to manual mode on the BMW and get the engine to 5000 rpm for the car to become remotely as responsive and then it is still 100+ horses weaker than the P3 from 0rpm. It’s ridiculous. I’m always surprised how car reviewers can say with a straight face that any non exotic ICE car is somehow competitive with the P3.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
Lowering price just hurts the buyers. I put 17k down and would still have to come out of pocket just to sell it. Why would anyone recommend this company. They screwed the 2018 buyers Jan first and I saw they would do the same in July. They price will go down again. Just wait or lease. Or buy used. So much for Teslas holding value.

Again, this simply isn't accurate for many buyers.

I'm a 2018 buyer.

I saved money compared to if I'd waiting to today to buy the exact same vehicle.... the tax credit is much lower, homelink/phone/14-50 cables no longer included, destination charge is higher, plus the 10.5 months of savings on gasoline in that time.

That is a good catch since by going with the 18"s for ~$2k less may remove your larger rotors and larger red brake calipers. If you are not familiar with big brake upgrades they are expensive. Now I am not suggesting the brake upgrades included with the M3P are comparable to a set of 6 piston Brembos but they are a nice upgrade over stock nonetheless and they look a lot better. If you go and buy a big brake upgrade it can cost $4k or more. So realize what you may be giving up in hardware if you switch wheels.

Brembo 6-Piston Monobloc Big Brake Kit - Unplugged Performance
Yup, and you would be better off selling the 20s and buying 18s that fit the stock red calipers, etc. Like TSportline.

Status
Not open for further replies.