Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prices just Dropped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of just lowering prices Tesla should be working on adding more options to increase profit per car.

More options=more MFG complexity- which they really are incapable of handling.

They couldn't even figure out how to add one new, cheaper, white paint as the standard so instead they're giving the pearl one away for free to keep things simpler.

Reactions: ducktales
Model S & X depreciation is IMO not a good indicator for Model 3 depreciation because they are true luxury niche products in low volumes.

The S outsells all other full sized luxury cars in the US, and still has the best resale value too- so I don't think you can discount it.

I have no idea how depreciation will level off. But in 2022, I would not want to buy a three year old Performance 3 that has ancient tech from 2019 *AND* may have abused battery cells from high power launches, hence I don’t expect a good trade in value either.

There's no evidence high power launches "abuse" the car.

Nor any that the 2019 tech will be "dated" in 3 years- especially with the FSD computer being easily up-gradable.

The S/X are still using the same basic battery tech from 7 years ago, and only in the last few months did they finally do a significant motor or suspension upgrade to them....

Please

corkscrew3[1].jpg

our M3 LR AWD's, Tesla.....

The S outsells all other full sized luxury cars in the US, and still has the best resale value too- so I don't think you can discount it.

There's no evidence high power launches "abuse" the car.

Nor any that the 2019 tech will be "dated" in 3 years- especially with the FSD computer being easily up-gradable.

The S/X are still using the same basic battery tech from 7 years ago, and only in the last few months did they finally do a significant motor or suspension upgrade to them....

I’m not sure you got my point about the S and X: You can’t use depreciation of fairly low volume six figure MSRP cars with a volume car. So S and X resale is meaningless for the 3.

And about batteries: I actually am an engineer working with LiIon cells daily. We have a multi million dollar lab with dedicated battery testers where we perform aging tests. I have hands on experience (and data) how cells age over time, temperature, charge/discharge cycles and load.

Rest assured, these cells do age accelerated if you subject them to massive load spikes.

SR+ Black/Black/AP/Aero:

May 2019 Delivery
Vehicle 39,900
Destination 1,200
Options 0
Federal rebate (3,750)
State rebate (2,500)
State tax 206
Total 35,056

July 2019 Delivery
Vehicle 38,990
Destination 1,200
Options 750
Federal rebate (1,875)
State rebate (2,500)
State tax 205
Total 36,770

Increase in value = 1,714

Recent pricing drop actually helped my little SR+ out :)

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I’m not sure you got my point about the S and X: You can’t use depreciation of fairly low volume six figure MSRP cars with a volume car. So S and X resale is meaningless for the 3.

On what factual basis do you claim they aren't comparable?

KBB, who knows a bit about car values, seems to think they are.

2019 Best Resale Value Awards | Category Winner | Kelley Blue Book

The Lexus I replaced with my Tesla was also a "volume" car compared to their 100k+ models, but also held resale value exceedingly well as the 100k models did FWIW.

I’
And about batteries: I actually am an engineer working with LiIon cells daily. We have a multi million dollar lab with dedicated battery testers where we perform aging tests. I have hands on experience (and data) how cells age over time, temperature, charge/discharge cycles and load.

Rest assured, these cells do age accelerated if you subject them to massive load spikes.

Do you work specifically with 18650 or 2170 tesla cells, with teslas liquid cooling and teslas advanced battery management systems around them?

Or is it something air cooled with much more primitive battery management? Because that'd be comparing apples and canaries.

Last edited:
On what factual basis do you claim they aren't comparable?

KBB, who knows a bit about car values, seems to think they are.

2019 Best Resale Value Awards | Category Winner | Kelley Blue Book

The Lexus I replaced with my Tesla was also a "volume" car compared to their 100k+ models, but also held resale value exceedingly well as the 100k models did FWIW.

Do you work specifically with 18650 or 2170 cells, with teslas liquid cooling and advanced battery management systems around them?

Or is it something air cooled with much more primitive battery management? Because that'd be comparing apples and canaries.

I don’t really feel that I should pop your fanboi bubble and actually think it’s cute that some live in their own reality where cars don’t depreciate, batteries don’t age and computers will drive them around.

BTW 18650 is just a package and says absolutely nothing about chemistry details and aging behavior LOL.

Last edited:
I don’t really feel that I should pop your fanboi bubble

I'm the one posting sourced facts, and you're the one making unfounded claims with no willingness or ability to support them.

I don't think you're correctly IDing the fanboi in the situation :)

and actually think it’s cute that some live in their own reality where cars don’t depreciate

Literally nobody here has claimed that.

Your logical fallacy is called a strawman. You can read up on it here-
Straw man - Wikipedia

, batteries don’t age.

Same here. Literally nobody said that either.

It was suggested that a hard launch doesn't make a substantial difference to their life-cycle though- and you've utterly failed to support your claim otherwise.

BTW 18650 is just a package and says absolutely nothing about chemistry details and aging behavior LOL.

So....no....you don't actually have any experience with the type of batteries used in Teslas specifically in combo with Teslas liquid cooling and Teslas battery management system?

Thanks for confirming :)

More options=more MFG complexity- which they really are incapable of handling.

They couldn't even figure out how to add one new, cheaper, white paint as the standard so instead they're giving the pearl one away for free to keep things simpler.

I don't disagree but even relatively small auto manufacturers like Mazda (300k total cars sold in 2018) can manage to offer more options and customization. Also, how hard is it to swap out the pearl white paint for standard white paint once you run out? :confused:

I hope they make big improvements in this area because when the big manufacturers show up with EVs they will be able to handle more factory options and customization as the cars work their way through the assembly line.

SR+ Black/Black/AP/Aero:

May 2019 Delivery
Vehicle 39,900
Destination 1,200
Options 0
Federal rebate (3,750)
State rebate (2,500)
State tax 206
Total 35,056

July 2019 Delivery
Vehicle 38,990
Destination 1,200
Options 750
Federal rebate (1,875)
State rebate (2,500)
State tax 205
Total 36,770

Increase in value = 1,714

Recent pricing drop actually helped my little SR+ out :)

$205 OR State tax?

CA Tax and Registration for my config is $3,562! More than the damn state rebate

Instead of continuing to drop the price of the car they could add more content/value.

For example, on the SR+ they could have added Homelink and say elements of Premium connectivity and left the price flat.

On the AWD, they could have included Homelink and then throw in then 19” wheels or only charge like $500 for them and keep price flat.

On the 3P, they could offered content that the performance minded buyer would want instead of just cheapening the car by constantly lowering the price. For example, sportier seats with better side bolstering and perforate them, Adaptive suspension and heads up display, more wheel choices, aero bits like front splitter and side skirts would be other great options.

I am just saying they should find ways to add value rather than just keep dropping the prices each quarter.
People don’t notice content. They notice price.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
Status
Not open for further replies.