Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Private Plate on Trade In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I'm after some advice. I'm trading in my Model 3 for a Model Y next Friday. I have a personalised plate on the car. Do I need to remove this or do Tesla do this for me? I'm just concerned I don't have enough time for a new V5 to arrive.

Tim

I'm trading in my Model 3 for a Model Y next Friday

I had to get the physical V5 (replacement) to be able to complete the online Trade-in, so getting the plate onto retention probably needs to be a priority

I asked them if I could arrive with my personal plate on the car, the original in the boot, and if they would fit it. Answer = No - actually their answer was that it is illegal to drive it in that condition, but I think that was just to avoid having to fir the old plate; my understanding is that there is a grace period from putting the RegNo on retention to getting the plate replaced ... otherwise the only way it could be done is DIY! (and last time I put a personal plate on a car was during lock down and I couldn't get any garage to do it, the old plate stayed on the car for weeks and eventually I got a note saying that I needed to do something about it "or else" :) so I expect I had gone through a number plate recognition camera)