Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with software updates due to old video cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car MX 2017 stopped receiving updates half a year ago (2 years ago I installed MCU2 with Intel). I wrote to the service center and they said that it is necessary to upgrade the autopilot cameras to HW 3 (currently 2.5) for free and after that updates will come. The problem is that I cannot visit the service center in the coming months.
I wonder if anyone has encountered a similar problem and how old cameras block the ability to install software

I think I have the same issue as you
My update is stuck at 2023.26.12 (august 2023)

But when I swap to MCU2, they only replaced the autopilot HW2 to autopilot HW3 (not camera's)

From what I know, they don't replace the 7 camera's in europe (Front / siderepeaters / Pillars) like USA

I did replaced the siderepeaters myself with the newer versions myself

But when I swap to MCU2, they only replaced the autopilot HW2 to autopilot HW3 (not camera's)

From what I know, they don't replace the 7 camera's in europe (Front / siderepeaters / Pillars) like USA

In Europe they also change all cameras. They sent an invoice and are ready to do it for free. But the problem is that I don’t have the opportunity to visit a service center ((
Is it really true that if I don't change cameras I will never get new software?

Снимок экрана 2024-01-12 в 12.28.14.png

• Informative
Reactions: EddieW

It’s strange how cameras can affect software updates? As far as I know, the MCU does not determine their type and they are simply registered in the config. Is there a way to bypass replacing cameras in order to receive updates?

I just put a service request with the software issue and see what they say since I mention I replaced the siderepeaters already...
I'll keep you updated what they say & when it happened if the software issue is fixed

Most likely I'll have to pay extra for camera replacement...knowing my luck 🥹

I just put a service request with the software issue and see what they say since I mention I replaced the siderepeaters already...
I'll keep you updated what they say & when it happened if the software issue is fixed

Most likely I'll have to pay extra for camera replacement...knowing my luck 🥹
I will be grateful for additional information and will inform you of my news as well

In Europe they also change all cameras. They sent an invoice and are ready to do it for free. But the problem is that I don’t have the opportunity to visit a service center ((
Is it really true that if I don't change cameras I will never get new software?

View attachment 1008222
If that's what they told you, it is likely true. Each update has to be built and validated for each supported hardware config. It sounds like they stopped supporting your hardware config early (hence the offer to replace the cameras for free). This is speculation, though, since I don't work for or represent Tesla.

ETA: Is mobile service a thing for your location? I'm not sure if that would include this type of work, but if it would, it might be an option for you to get the work completed sooner...

after replacing side repeaters, did you start receiving software updates?

after replacing side repeaters, did you start receiving software updates?
No update at all after replacing the side repeaters at september with these (exact what OP has in his quote), still at 2023.26.12

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT: 1495866-22-C

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT: 1495867-22-C

And my old model S 2014 AP1 MCU2 still recieving updates...2023.46.xx
But I though maybe I get slower update on the X but then I see this post today...so I know I'm not the only person with this issue

I was thinking at first to get FSD upgrade to get free camera upgrade as many people in USA after the MCU2 upgrade got but eventually I didn't because europe do not offer this free service (nor FSD works here...)

But now I wonder, do @Slavas have FSD or not?

No update at all after replacing the side repeaters at september with these (exact what OP has in his quote), still at 2023.26.12

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, LEFT: 1495866-22-C

LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER CAMERA, RIGHT: 1495867-22-C

And my old model S 2014 AP1 MCU2 still recieving updates...2023.46.xx
But I though maybe I get slower update on the X but then I see this post today...so I know I'm not the only person with this issue

I was thinking at first to get FSD upgrade to get free camera upgrade as many people in USA after the MCU2 upgrade got but eventually I didn't because europe do not offer this free service (nor FSD works here...)

But now I wonder, do @Slavas have FSD or not?
I think, if you go to service mode and reinstall current update, the system will detect and update repeater camera configuration and then after that if you check for updates normally, you might just receive the latest software. I’m not 100% this will work but worth trying.

I think, if you go to service mode and reinstall current update, the system will detect and update repeater camera configuration and then after that if you check for updates normally, you might just receive the latest software. I’m not 100% this will work but worth trying.
In my opinion, the computer does not detect the cameras. They are registered in the config

YES, I HAVE FSD
Oke...then you're eligible for free camera upgrade due FSD purchase
I'm not since I only have EAP

May I ask which firmware you have on your X?

But again, I see you have FSD 🙈

Oke...then you're eligible for free camera upgrade due FSD purchase
I'm not since I only have EAP

May I ask which firmware you have on your X?

But again, I see you have FSD 🙈
I don’t have FSD as I’m not in US. By FSD, what I meant is FSD 3.0 computer hardware as it was called by Tesla back in the day.

I’m also stuck on 2023.26.12 due to old cameras. I think it will be worth it if you reinstall the current firmware from service mode to see if triggers new software for you in normal software update section since you did change repeater cameras.

I don’t have FSD as I’m not in US. By FSD, what I meant is FSD 3.0 computer hardware as it was called by Tesla back in the day.

I’m also stuck on 2023.26.12 due to old cameras. I think it will be worth it if you reinstall the current firmware from service mode to see if triggers new software for you in normal software update section since you did change repeater cameras.
I'll try sunday with reinstalling firmware (Need a long roadtrip tomorrow)

Will update monday 👍

Reactions: taimurasad
I didn't do it at sunday because I got a call from Tesla SeC and they gonna check the issue
They suggest that I should not do the reinstall firmware because it might stuck and cause malfunction (which I may not able to use the car) which they cannot help me during weekend