Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 -> MCU2, FSD Computer with updated cameras on Legacy X. “Update BETA in route!”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not aware of anyone with MCU1 and FSD beta.

There are several forum members with MCU1 that got FSD beta before the forced recall. Likely most still have it and are cautious not to get “upgraded” to a not-beta code fork.
I'm probably one of ten MCU1 folks that have FSD v10. Nobody is missing much. I'm also still running Feb 2022 firmware with no new updates in sight.

Out of curiosity, I asked if I could get v12 and SC said my config is not compatible. I asked if I paid $2200 (after tax) for MCU2, would I get v11 or 12. They said, "No, MCU version has no bearing on FSD version"...Which is a lie.

Reactions: ajit6 and m5james
Just got back from picking up my '17 MX with FSD computer and all the upgrades, but didn't have MCU2. FSD Beta had been pending for 3 months and was told it was rolling out "slowly for MCU1" equipped cars, so just wait. Decided to get the MCU2 upgrade and of course there is FSD Beta, in all its glory. Let it drive me home and save for a couple of weird moments of steering disengagements with no braking/gas pedal disengagements, and two situations where it screamed at me to put pressure on the wheel (I did and it still didn't recognize it, so I quickly disengaged to avoid a "ding" on my AP/FSD record), it was pretty well behaved.

Speaking of the AP/FSD max forced disengagements, my '21 MY says that we get 5 strikes, but the MX says 3. We never get them, but was curious as to why the MX only gets 3 strikes but MY is at 5?

Back to the original topic - if you have MCU1 and paid for FSD beta, you'll never get it. One guy around this message board has been waiting 6 years and is planning a class action lawsuit. They'll never tell you that they know you still have to pony up for MCU2 upgrade because they want that CASH.

I have FSDb v10. But it'll probably never get updated.
Doubtful. When I did the MCU2 upgrade they also replaced the dash screen because apparently the first version won't do the FSD visualization.

Now that it's been about a month, I have noticed that my app no longer shows my Tesla Insurance "Scoring Factors" and I'm not able to see each trip's history on what I did right or wrong. Have yet another service visit this Friday to have them figure out what happened (and they are making me bring the car in again).

When I did the MCU2 upgrade they also replaced the dash screen because apparently the first version won't do the FSD visualization.
If someone told you that's why they replaced it, they were misinformed. The MCU1 IC was a separate device (with its own processor) while the MCU2 took over that functionality and the MCU2 IC is simply a secondary display for the MCU2. IOW, the replacement of the IC when installing MCU2 had nothing to do with FSD regardless of whether or not MCU1 could do the FSD visualization (whether or not it could seems a good question for the guy you're replying to who was apparently using FSD on MCU1).
Now that it's been about a month, I have noticed that my app no longer shows my Tesla Insurance "Scoring Factors" and I'm not able to see each trip's history on what I did right or wrong. Have yet another service visit this Friday to have them figure out what happened (and they are making me bring the car in again).
I've been running FSDb since late October 2021. I haven't seen the "Scoring Factors" in my app since around that time. IOW, what you're describing sounds normal to me. I mean, assuming you don't have Tesla Insurance. If you do have Tesla Insurance, well, hopefully they can fix that for you.

IOW, the replacement of the IC when installing MCU2 had nothing to do with FSD regardless of whether or not MCU1 could do the FSD visualization (whether or not it could seems a good question for the guy you're replying to who was apparently using FSD on MCU1).
MCU1 version absolutely determines whether you get FSD or not. Plenty of people who have FSD HW with MCU1 and no FSD. I got "lucky" and got V10 before they stopped MCU1 FSD rollout.

Others MCU1 folks got 3 strikes in 2 years and still can't get out of FSD jail. Upgrade to MCU2...magically you get V12 and no more FSD jail.

MCU1 version absolutely determines whether you get FSD or not. Plenty of people who have FSD HW with MCU1 and no FSD. I got "lucky" and got V10 before they stopped MCU1 FSD rollout.

Others MCU1 folks got 3 strikes in 2 years and still can't get out of FSD jail. Upgrade to MCU2...magically you get V12 and no more FSD jail.
And you replied to a comment about the IC, not a comment about who gets which version of FSD... However, as you indicated you have v10 and used FSD with it on MCU1 even though you can't upgrade to newer versions, the only thing I don't know and would ask you is whether or not you have (or had if you're locked out now) the option to use the FSD visualizations, since it would be interesting to know whether or not the MCU1 IC graphic processor was capable (even though I still maintain the capability or lack thereof is completely irrelevant to the replacement of the IC because there is likely no way to connect an MCU1 IC to an MCU due to the different architecture to begin with).

And you replied to a comment about the IC, not a comment about who gets which version of FSD... However, as you indicated you have v10 and used FSD with it on MCU1 even though you can't upgrade to newer versions, the only thing I don't know and would ask you is whether or not you have (or had if you're locked out now) the option to use the FSD visualizations, since it would be interesting to know whether or not the MCU1 IC graphic processor was capable (even though I still maintain the capability or lack thereof is completely irrelevant to the replacement of the IC because there is likely no way to connect an MCU1 IC to an MCU due to the different architecture to begin with).
I get FSD visualizations, but they're not nearly as clean as what MCU2 gets. Instead of orange traffic cones I get white sticks.

I get FSD visualizations, but they're not nearly as clean as what MCU2 gets. Instead of orange traffic cones I get white sticks.
I don't think that's an MCU1 limitation, I think it's a software version. IIRC, that used to be the norm, and I still get white sticks instead of orange traffic cones sometimes. Anyway, thank you for confirming, even as an outlier, that FSD exists on MCU1 and FSD visualizations work on the IC that runs with MCU1.

Just had all new cameras plus eMMC upgraded. HW3 computer upgraded 2 years ago. SC tried to push last known working FSD for MCU1 v10. It downloaded 100% over LTE but doesn’t install. Downgrading is not possible. Now the v10 download is gone. Asked if I’ll get FSD if I upgraded to MCU2. SC said there’s no guarantee. Another customer on MCU2 has been in the queue for a while with all hardware upgraded. Where do I sign up for class action lawsuit?

Attachments

• 232ADB6D-BDD0-445B-B0C4-53D6B8651CF3.jpeg
    232ADB6D-BDD0-445B-B0C4-53D6B8651CF3.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: plumazul
Just had all new cameras plus eMMC upgraded. HW3 computer upgraded 2 years ago. SC tried to push last known working FSD for MCU1 v10. It downloaded 100% over LTE but doesn’t install. Downgrading is not possible. Now the v10 download is gone. Asked if I’ll get FSD if I upgraded to MCU2. SC said there’s no guarantee. Another customer on MCU2 has been in the queue for a while with all hardware upgraded. Where do I sign up for class action lawsuit?
Not sure how it works in Canada, but you can probably do a small claims lawsuit for the price you paid for FSD. That's likely an easy win. If you want more than that, do Canadians have to do arbitration as well? Unless you opted out. IMO, those are your ONLY two options.

Reactions: Winnie168