Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU1 -> MCU2, FSD Computer with updated cameras on Legacy X. “Update BETA in route!”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cmwagner75DX

2016 Model X 75D, 6-seat, FSD, SCU1
Dec 25, 2023
Northern Virginia
So after reading majority of the post, I’m still unsure what is being advised as far as how much I’m needing to pay for infotainment.

Backstory: on 12/28 I dropped off my car (16’ X 75D) for emergency service due to the IPC heater faults (BMS_w172 and BMS_008), it was determined the IPC heater was faulty and failed during the Isolation test. (The labor cost more than the part itself SMDH)

Now that’s taken care of, I asked for the infotainment upgrade. I just asked because I have FSD computer and it doesn’t specifically state AP2/2.5/3 then wouldn’t I be eligible for the $1750? I also asked for the old unit and was told I would need to pay the $800 MCU1 core return fee if I chose to keep it, I declined.

How much is everyone paying for their infotainment?
I just logged in to check on the status and saw that it’s updating to the FSD Beta software, I’m happy but also feeling robbed at the same time, how is it the cameras can be installed free for the promise of FSD always being up to date but this MCU2 is a proprietary upgrade in order to get FSD??

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpeg
    IMG_1029.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0434.jpeg
    IMG_0434.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0441.png
    IMG_0441.png
    372.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0439.png
    IMG_0439.png
    429.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Informative
Reactions: EbS-P and m5james
I believe they still claim that MCU2 isn't required for the promised features. The argument is that the beta isn't the final product and while the beta isn't currently available for MCU1, you are only entitled to the final product when it is released. Hard telling when/if/how this finally pans out (seems unlikely to go out of beta at all, for instance), but that's my understanding of the current state of things.

So after reading majority of the post, I’m still unsure what is being advised as far as how much I’m needing to pay for infotainment.

Backstory: on 12/28 I dropped off my car (16’ X 75D) for emergency service due to the IPC heater faults (BMS_w172 and BMS_008), it was determined the IPC heater was faulty and failed during the Isolation test. (The labor cost more than the part itself SMDH)

Now that’s taken care of, I asked for the infotainment upgrade. I just asked because I have FSD computer and it doesn’t specifically state AP2/2.5/3 then wouldn’t I be eligible for the $1750? I also asked for the old unit and was told I would need to pay the $800 MCU1 core return fee if I chose to keep it, I declined.

How much is everyone paying for their infotainment?
I just logged in to check on the status and saw that it’s updating to the FSD Beta software, I’m happy but also feeling robbed at the same time, how is it the cameras can be installed free for the promise of FSD always being up to date but this MCU2 is a proprietary upgrade in order to get FSD??

I was able to get the 1750 since I have HW3

I believe they still claim that MCU2 isn't required for the promised features. The argument is that the beta isn't the final product and while the beta isn't currently available for MCU1, you are only entitled to the final product when it is released. Hard telling when/if/how this finally pans out (seems unlikely to go out of beta at all, for instance), but that's my understanding of the current state of things.
Still in FSD beta queue for 6 weeks. Have all upgraded cameras and HW, including the EMMC. Still on MCU1, though, and service told me "Tegra MCU1s are slower to roll out FSD beta, so keep waiting".

Of course they are slow. Slow = "the guy will grow impatient and pony up the $1750 for the MCU2 upgrade".

Still in FSD beta queue for 6 weeks. Have all upgraded cameras and HW, including the EMMC. Still on MCU1, though, and service told me "Tegra MCU1s are slower to roll out FSD beta, so keep waiting".

Of course they are slow. Slow = "the guy will grow impatient and pony up the $1750 for the MCU2 upgrade".
Lots of the customer facing service people have no clue and make things up. You may need to reread my post to which you were replying. I'm not aware of anyone with MCU1 and FSD beta. I'm saying Tesla *claims* it will work on MCU1 and has *implied* you can use it as soon as it's out of beta. Regarding this claim, which might legally protect them for so long as it cannot be proven or disproven, you may want to consider the length of time the automatic wipers remain in beta and then extrapolate for added complexity of FSD as compared to automatic wipers.

Lots of the customer facing service people have no clue and make things up. You may need to reread my post to which you were replying. I'm not aware of anyone with MCU1 and FSD beta. I'm saying Tesla *claims* it will work on MCU1 and has *implied* you can use it as soon as it's out of beta. Regarding this claim, which might legally protect them for so long as it cannot be proven or disproven, you may want to consider the length of time the automatic wipers remain in beta and then extrapolate for added complexity of FSD as compared to automatic wipers.
My automatic wipers in beta don't even work...

But I am scheduled for MCU2 upgrade next Tuesday.

I’ve been told by two Tesla employees (senior tech and a ranger) that all work has ended on MCU1 and there will be no updates.

• Funny
Reactions: dbldwn02
I’ve been told by two Tesla employees (senior tech and a ranger) that all work has ended on MCU1 and there will be no updates.
Maybe you and the senior tech could make for us one of those shadowy videos of them talking where you can’t see their facial features and their voices are changed.

Seriously though, if you mean a service technician, how would they know?

Maybe you and the senior tech could make for us one of those shadowy videos of them talking where you can’t see their facial features and their voices are changed.

Seriously though, if you mean a service technician, how would they know?
@plumazul I agree with @Krash , if you can get them on video saying that, that would be solid evidence. However I do agree with that statement, but Tesla will never publicly note that anywhere.

It's not really fair cornering or catching on hidden can an employee at a service center saying anything definitive. They only know what they have heard, they are not decision makers and probably don't even have influence, when you tell them how mad you are, on Tesla's decisions. There is a reason that Tesla corporate makes deliberate statements only, it's too easy to get sued if you go running off at the mouth