Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problem with unplugging charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem seems unique, as I searched around but couldn't find any discussion.

Car is 2019 Model 3 mid-range plus. I have been using home outlet (117v/12A) to charge (which is sufficient as the daily usage is only 10-12 miles).

If the car has finished charging (or is woken up from sleeping mode), the charger can't be unplugged. I have been following different suggestions that I could find online, but the answer is always no. The only way to get the charger out is to use manual release from the trunk.

If the car is still charging, I can use the buttons of "stop charging" and "unlock charge port" (app or in-car screen). Then the charger can be pulled out easily.

This problem started roughly half a hour ago (I don't recall the software version).

Does anyone have any clue what could be wrong and whether there is an easy fix?

When I contacted Tesla mobile service, they simply suggested (online) to replace the whole hardware and re-build (their quote was $700+).

Let’s start with basic questiions:

1. Do you see any alerts in the car related to the 12v system? 12v power is needed to manage the port.
  2. Is the car unlocked? It needs to be.
  3. Is the Telsa charging icon next to the charging port Green (or flashing green if it is still charging)?
  4. To remove press the Green Tesla icon and wait for it to turn white, then unplug. (not 100% sure you can press on the icon on an M3 to activte a realease, but you should be able to press the button on the top of the Tesla wand).
If this is not what you are seeing, what is happening?

Let’s start with basic questiions:

1. Do you see any alerts in the car related to the 12v system? 12v power is needed to manage the port.
  2. Is the car unlocked? It needs to be.
  3. Is the Telsa charging icon next to the charging port Green (or flashing green if it is still charging)?
  4. To remove press the Green Tesla icon and wait for it to turn white, then unplug. (not 100% sure you can press on the icon on an M3 to activte a realease, but you should be able to press the button on the top of the Tesla wand).
If this is not what you are seeing, what is happening?

Thanks for your response.
1. No, no alerts. Nothing unusual.
2. Yes, the car is unlocked. I actually specifically opened one door (then closed it) before trying to unplug.
3. No. White (actually light blue)
4. It is already white. I did try different combinations (as also suggested by some posts via google search).

No idea on what's happening. Tesla simply suggested to rebuild. But I don't think it is 100% hardware issue, as I can unplug the charger if charging isn't complete (see my original message).

I would probably try to charge somewhere else to see if it's the mobile charger's button and that's just not working. If you press the button and it's not changing to white maybe it just the charger? Maybe hit a supercharger and start and stop the charge a couple times to see if it releases fine.
Can you also not release it with the unlock charge port from the app? I guess if all app/screen related unlocks aren't working then it's probably not the mobile charger.

I would probably try to charge somewhere else to see if it's the mobile charger's button and that's just not working. If you press the button and it's not changing to white maybe it just the charger? Maybe hit a supercharger and start and stop the charge a couple times to see if it releases fine.

The button reacts correctly. If the light is green, pressing the button will change it to light blue.

Sure, I can try a supercharger to see how it goes. But as I stated in my original post, when it is charging, I can follow steps to easily unplug the charger. So if I want to try to a supercharger, likely I will have to let the charging complete (and probably wait for the car to go to sleep mode).

Can you also not release it with the unlock charge port from the app? I guess if all app/screen related unlocks aren't working then it's probably not the mobile charger.

It is not app vs button issue. I tried different combinations.
If the charging is still on-going, I can stop the charging either from app or pressing the button on wand. In both cases, the charger can be easily unplugged.

If the charging has completed, then I will be out of luck. No matter what combination I try, the charger can't be unplugged.

The button reacts correctly. If the light is green, pressing the button will change it to light blue.

Sure, I can try a supercharger to see how it goes. But as I stated in my original post, when it is charging, I can follow steps to easily unplug the charger. So if I want to try to a supercharger, likely I will have to let the charging complete (and probably wait for the car to go to sleep mode).

It is not app vs button issue. I tried different combinations.
If the charging is still on-going, I can stop the charging either from app or pressing the button on wand. In both cases, the charger can be easily unplugged.

If the charging has completed, then I will be out of luck. No matter what combination I try, the charger can't be unplugged.
That is strange if it's working with software then I wouldn't think that it's port related. Have you tried removing and repairing your phone? Maybe it just doesn't see you by the car when your phone is in range..

That is strange if it's working with software then I wouldn't think that it's port related. Have you tried removing and repairing your phone? Maybe it just doesn't see you by the car when your phone is in range..
It is probably not that either, as Bluetooth audio can play. In additional, using my son's phone has the same result.

Yes, very strange indeed. I have tried a lot of combinations already, just couldn't find a solution. The problem started to surface about half a year ago (I do upgrade the software whenever a new version becomes available).

It is probably not that either, as Bluetooth audio can play. In additional, using my son's phone has the same result.

Yes, very strange indeed. I have tried a lot of combinations already, just couldn't find a solution. The problem started to surface about half a year ago (I do upgrade the software whenever a new version becomes available).
Yeah very strange hopefully service can sort it out for you. That must be really annoying. I didn't realize at first that I could just press the button on the handle to unlock it so I was going to my phone or inside the car when I first purchased mine.

Based on the power, I think you’re using the UMC. If that’s the case, the quote for rebuilding must be for the internal mechanisms in and around the car’s charge port, right?

I’m guessing you’ve already tried unplugging the UMC from the wall, disconnecting and reseating the dongle, then plugging the UMC back into the wall; either proactively to reset errors or while the car’s latch is stuck. If not, give that a try because I know it sometimes helps my UMC’s open button get recognized. Mine has never been stuck latched though, just won’t command the port flap to open sometimes.

Before going to a supercharger which includes additional communication protocols with the car and may not replicate things, I’d suggest finding a nearby destination charger to test. I’d also suggest trying your UMC at a different outlet or even house. If you know another Tesla owner, you could also try another UMC or go to the SC where they not only have destination chargers but should also have a UMC to try.

As a workaround, it sounds like you could raise the charge limit and start charging then stop and unlock rather than use the manual release in the trunk. Have you tried that? Not the best but seems less likely to damage anything and might be a stop gap until you get better diagnostic/prognostic info from Tesla.

Based on the power, I think you’re using the UMC. If that’s the case, the quote for rebuilding must be for the internal mechanisms in and around the car’s charge port, right?
I believe that's what Tesla mobile service suggested.

I’m guessing you’ve already tried unplugging the UMC from the wall, disconnecting and reseating the dongle, then plugging the UMC back into the wall; either proactively to reset errors or while the car’s latch is stuck. If not, give that a try because I know it sometimes helps my UMC’s open button get recognized. Mine has never been stuck latched though, just won’t command the port flap to open sometimes.

Before going to a supercharger which includes additional communication protocols with the car and may not replicate things, I’d suggest finding a nearby destination charger to test. I’d also suggest trying your UMC at a different outlet or even house. If you know another Tesla owner, you could also try another UMC or go to the SC where they not only have destination chargers but should also have a UMC to try.

Will try supercharger and use a friend's UMC to see what happens.

As a workaround, it sounds like you could raise the charge limit and start charging then stop and unlock rather than use the manual release in the trunk. Have you tried that? Not the best but seems less likely to damage anything and might be a stop gap until you get better diagnostic/prognostic info from Tesla.
Yes, it works that way. Raising the charge limit and then wait for the charging to restart again. In that way, I can then unplug the charger without using manual release. It works, but very inconvenient.

Thanks!

I believe that's what Tesla mobile service suggested.

Will try supercharger and use a friend's UMC to see what happens.

Yes, it works that way. Raising the charge limit and then wait for the charging to restart again. In that way, I can then unplug the charger without using manual release. It works, but very inconvenient.

Thanks!

Glad to hear that raising the charge limit works. Definitely the method I would use since it's a little inconvenient but a lot less than digging into the trunk liner and much less likely to cause more damage than the manual release.

Interested to hear how the friend's UMC goes. Not sure whether the supercharger results will be useful since it's different protocols (DC vs AC among other things, I think) plus, like you said, you'll have to stay there for a while in order for it to sleep if that's a necessary step in reproducing the issue. If I were you, I'd try a destination charger (at the SC or elsewhere like a local restaurant or hotel) since they're usually free and don't have idle fees (go at a time others won't be waiting).

If the issue is consistently reproducible, get it in to the SC for a hands on diagnosis. Maybe it'll require a rebuild of the whole port or maybe there's a particular component that simply needs to be replaced. If it ends up being beyond your budget, sliding up the charge setting long enough to disconnect seems like a quick and easy step as long as the problem doesn't get worse; even a bit of a theft deterrent like having an old car which could only be started by patting your head at the moment you turn the key while pulling it upward and sticking your tongue out. On the other hand, if it's your UMC, maybe it'll be much easier than all that.