Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Problems with Samsung 1TB SSD and Mp3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 1TB SSD Samsung with MP3. Sometimes when I open the door, music does not play automatically from USB and I have to turn it on manually Often the screen is black for 3-10 seconds and afterwards I can hear a loud ''click'' somewhere from under the car At the beginning it was working fine but now it happens almost every time I open the door. Sometimes even car is starting to read the disc from 0% and it takes a few minutes. Is the SSD to big? Did anyone else have such experience? Thank you for help in advance.
20210625_181023.jpg

The issue with not (re)starting automatically seems to be quite common with USB music playback in the Model 3, regardless of type of media (SSD, USB flash drive, SD card) or size of media.

Not sure about the clicking or the several-minute delay as I stopped using USB playback rather quickly.

This is just life with Tesla's 90's era USB music app. I hate to say 'get used to it', but...

Common tricks are waking the car up first with the app before you get in, opening and closing the passenger door before getting in the driver's side, or sitting down, closing, then opening the door, lifting your butt off the seat, closing the door again to turn the screen off, then sitting down again.

Yay Tesla...🙄

I have 1TB SSD Samsung with MP3. Sometimes when I open the door, music does not play automatically from USB and I have to turn it on manually Often the screen is black for 3-10 seconds and afterwards I can hear a loud ''click'' somewhere from under the car
The sound you hear under the car is likely the contactor connecting the high voltage (HV) battery. When the car goes to "sleep" it disconnects the HV battery and runs off the 12V battery. When it sleeps and wakes up, you will hear a sound from the contactor (which is like "clunk"). The computer that runs the screen also shuts off/sleeps.
At the beginning it was working fine but now it happens almost every time I open the door. Sometimes even car is starting to read the disc from 0% and it takes a few minutes. Is the SSD to big? Did anyone else have such experience? Thank you for help in advance.
I don't use USB music, so can't really help you for that specifically, but if the car has gone to sleep and is waking up, it may take some time to read the USB drive as part of the bootup process. Did something change in how you are using the car? Are you now having longer periods before using the car? Or did you change some modes that used to keep the car awake (I believe Sentry mode does this, as does cabin overheat protection).

The sound you hear under the car is likely the contactor connecting the high voltage (HV) battery. When the car goes to "sleep" it disconnects the HV battery and runs off the 12V battery. When it sleeps and wakes up, you will hear a sound from the contactor (which is like "clunk"). The computer that runs the screen also shuts off/sleeps.

I don't use USB music, so can't really help you for that specifically, but if the car has gone to sleep and is waking up, it may take some time to read the USB drive as part of the bootup process. Did something change in how you are using the car? Are you now having longer periods before using the car? Or did you change some modes that used to keep the car awake (I believe Sentry mode does this, as does cabin overheat protection).
It happens mostly when car stays parked at home and is connected to the charger. I've had my car in 18 days, so I didn't travel much. I don't drive during the weekends and every 2nd day to work.

I use USB music extensively, but don't have the issues you're seeing nearly as extensively as you.
As others have noted, there is a problem that occasionally the music player won't restart playback of music from USB. For me, it's perhaps 1 in 10 times I get in the car. If you're seeing the problem more often than that, it's unlikely that the problem is the SIZE (1TB) of your flash drive; it's more likely that the issue is the number of music files on the flash drive assuming that you used a drive that size because you had a lot of music.
The black screen and "Thunk" from under the car is generally from the media CPU rebooting. This can happen even while you're driving; it won't impact the car other than the fact you won't see the speedometer for 30 seconds or so. If this is happening often, I'd try removing the flash drive for a week. If the problem goes away, you're either gonna have to delete some music or choose to live with it. If the problem doesn't go away, it's time to schedule a service appointment.