Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Process for getting 3rd party chargers included in Tesla route planner?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wondered if anyone knew the process for getting 3rd party charging networks (Evie, Chargefox, etc.) included in the Tesla route planner? I realise there’s no way for a Tesla owner to do this, but I see there are some in other countries, so there must be a way to get Tesla to include them.

No real knowledge but Id assume it's a negotiation between Tesla and the 3rd party operator.

Chargefox, Evie and Jolt use a common outsourced backend software afaik (EVConnect) (and that's 80+% of DC chargers in Australia) and the first two are already integrated with Plugshare and Google Maps including live usage, so I suspect it should be relatively simple technically with some form of API.

I emailed all the networks to ask them about this. I won’t say who replied, to protect them, but one has told me they have been trying for 18 months to get this done with Tesla, but Tesla seem to have deprioritised it and they can’t make headway.

I emailed all the networks to ask them about this. I won’t say who replied, to protect them, but one has told me they have been trying for 18 months to get this done with Tesla, but Tesla seem to have deprioritised it and they can’t make headway.

Unfortunate.
I could only suggest them contacting the TOCA President, who seems to have a good line into local management and id hope would be willing to assist.

Some other countries have this, so the software is capable of it. My guess is they have standards so far as what sites they will make available, and this involves manual configuration and negotiation with the network operator.

For example, they probably wouldn't want to include a lone 50 kW unit. The risk being that vehicles will navigate to it and it will be unavailable for various reasons (in use, faulty, ICE'ed etc) and if they can use it, a new Tesla own may not understand why it is slower than a supercharger.

On the other hand, a multi-stall 350 kW site would be much closer to the standards which Tesla would deem good enough for inclusion.

Reactions: RareEarth and BCTS
Chargefox doesn't have live usage on Plugshare as far as I've noticed.
Ah yes. Chargefox has Station numbers but not Live.
Both Evie and Jolt are Live..
With orange dot when DC available, silver if in use, and disappears from the map if in maintenance (eg. Jolt Mona Vale at present)

Chargenet in NZ hadnt even been approached
It's a very impressive third party network in NZ, albeit mostly single stations and a lot of time based pricing.