Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Prototype Roadster plug to Model S charge adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too just have a Roadster HPC in my garage and was trying to figure out the best charging/adapter options. I already have the J1772 to Roadster adapter and was originally just going to buy the $650 Tesla HPC to S adapter. I e-mailed ClipperCreek and they promptly responded that they sell a 75A J1772 upgrade kit for the existing HPC for only $620. I called Tesla and confirmed that the J1772 adapter that is provided free with the S is 75A compliant.

So for me it seems that since I already bought the Roadster J1772 adapter last year that it is both more cost-effective and practical to just buy the ClipperCreek upgrade kit and not buy the S adapter. This way I can not only charge both of my Teslas, but any other J1772 car.

ClipperCreek did say (and Tesla confirmed) that the Roadster firmware still has a bug that will not allow it to charge if it sees a 75A pilot signal. So although ClipperCreek did say they would happily loan me the programmer unit to up my HPC from 70A to 75A it would stop my Roadster from being able to charge. The S would have no problem with 75A according to Tesla. So I guess 70A is good enough.