Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public charger did not work with my new M3. Almost got stuck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any reason this happened guys? Pulled up to public charger hoping to save my ___ as i had 16% left and 40km to travel in terrible blizzard and wind.

Tapped my card, charger authorized me. Took the end and put into my adapter. My car never started charging. The charger said Waiting on EV. I went inside and clicked start charge and tesla screen displayed something like CHARGER CONFIGURATION ERROR. Take out charger and plug back in. I did, and nothing helped. Many times. Even tried another wire on the charger.

I am using a similar public charger at work and it works flawlessly. What could be the issue? (btw i later pulled up to a tesla supercharger and ALSO first one i parked at did not work, car said, unable to latch charger! I almost fainted being 40km from home with 8% left, tried frantically to pull on the strap in the trunk hoping to help it but it didnt do anything... but luckily it must have been the supercharger issue as another stall next to it worked).

We need more information about the charger you have at work and the charger you tried with an adapter.

The "unable to latch" message indicates the pin on the bottom of the plug socket might have been obstructed which may indicate the charge cable was not inserted all the way.

Reactions: richyrich
We need more information about the charger you have at work and the charger you tried with an adapter.

The "unable to latch" message indicates the pin on the bottom of the plug socket might have been obstructed which may indicate the charge cable was not inserted all the way.

Unable to latch was at tesla supercharger and it was inserted all the way as it's so obvious and easy to do. Tried many times. It was snowing like crazy. Another stall worked flawlessly, makes me think the 1st stall was broken and car gave incorrect message... but no expert for sure.

My guess is that you tried to use the J-1772 adapter with a CCS charger. (Though I'm not sure it would even fit.) You need a CCS adapter to use the public fast chargers.

Yes, i used the adapter that came with my car (I believe yes J 1772) and it works at work. It fit fine with the public charger but interestingly there was no latch or anything to keep the two together (unlike the work setting where the charger there latches mechanically onto my adapter by pressing the lever with my thumb). I believe i pushed in into the adapter all the way in, but it never locked with it, so not sure what the heck happened. Yes, I understand there may be insufficient info to help here. Nasty experience at a very critical and stressful time. Had to drive 20 minutes to nearest supercharger but then again , that public charger was L2 so charging would be fairly slow anyway.

Unable to latch was at tesla supercharger and it was inserted all the way as it's so obvious and easy to do. Tried many times. It was snowing like crazy. Another stall worked flawlessly, makes me think the 1st stall was broken and car gave incorrect message... but no expert for sure.

Yes, i used the adapter that came with my car (I believe yes J 1772) and it works at work. It fit fine with the public charger but interestingly there was no latch or anything to keep the two together (unlike the work setting where the charger there latches mechanically onto my adapter by pressing the lever with my thumb). I believe i pushed in into the adapter all the way in, but it never locked with it, so not sure what the heck happened. Yes, I understand there may be insufficient info to help here. Nasty experience at a very critical and stressful time. Had to drive 20 minutes to nearest supercharger but then again , that public charger was L2 so charging would be fairly slow anyway.

Maybe the plug handle was broken or dirty and the latching pin was unable to extend into it.

What did the connector look like?

Supercharge is Tesla connector
With the car you got the J1772

As you can see the CCS Combo type 1, the top looks like the J1772 but will not work with the J1772

Typesofvehicleplugs_svetolk_iStock_GettyImagesPlus-5461dcc83ddd4b35b248dcb6a018b559.jpg

Reactions: Vawlkus
It seemed to fit nicely into my adapter but yes, i too thought later on that no mechanical latch was suspect, I could have easily separated the two without pressing anything. That is not correct right? (but i did try two different ones, ie same stall but another handle) Hmm.. I am now tempted to return there (under much less pressure, ie with more charge) just to test it out and see it again.

Def J1772. letft upper corner. same as i use at work with my adapter.
I would guess that the charging station you tried to use was defective. That happens fairly often. But more so with CCS charging than J1772 charging.

If you plan on lots of road trips not near supercharges then I would suggest that you purchase the CCS adapter. Much quicker than J1772. You can get speeds close to a supercharger.

Oh, are you saying J1772 adapter slows down the charging process? I thought charging speed was purely the amount of amperage available at the stall?

The station i was at had a small round plug as discussed above, not the bigger double CCS plug and i think it said L2 station or something.

Attachments

• charger.JPG
    charger.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 31