Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Public opinion on autonomous cars could get ugly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure you understand the concept of an autonomous shadow mode. It doesn't just check and stop there. If it needs to override, it does.

Ergo, safer.
Lol what? My exact point. It has the same safety level while allowing people to drive because I can promise you the demand will be there. It checks your move and if it can be done safely it does is, if not it declines it.

If overrides you and prevents a crash and then give back control, what's the problem? It's the same safety level.

In the past several months I have spoken to quite a few people in the area where I live and not one of them has expressed serious concern about fully autonomous cars. In fact, most of them are pretty excited about the concept. Some say they won't pay anything extra for it because they don't think they would use it. But those tend to be the older people I speak with.

i would agree.

tesla cars have so many new and exceptional qualities why focus on the self driver.

its extremely difficult and possibly expensive, risky. and offers little reward.

i think the issue is mainly news driven. ie the media tells us it is important.

i believe tesla is self insured and as such pushing the auto pilot which could lead to a hundred major lawsuits is not worth the time and effort. and i believe even if auto pilot were 95% will not add a significant amount of sales.

if i bought one i wouldnt pay more than $500 extra and would only pay that much because i dont like most cruise controls and i would use auto pilot as a fancy highway cruise control.

the abilities of current auto drive are being over stated by media.

until i see a unit drive back and forth across town in my old pittsburgh pa then i will believe it(and discrete for under 5k)

pittsburgh is a good test for any vehicle b/c the roads are very difficult only about 4 main roads run n,e,s,w all other roads run like old goat paths.
I believe some car companies used to donate cars to a taxi company in pittsburgh as a form of bets testing.

imo, auto pilot will be right next to 3d printers in a couple years. some day it will work and get adopted but i think a 99% car is very complex more than we realize. after about 5 years of using we will get decent data and abilities.

i do like the real time feed back tesla uses to continually improve the feature and i think if they can continue this it will shorten adoption.

let google doit, they have time and money. once they spend all the time and money just copy what ever works. lol use the chinese method.

Good point. If you read between the lines, companies like Google are frustrated by the slow progress self-driving tech is showing. Then again, accidents do happen. If statistically they go down with self-driving cars, then people will accept being confronted with accidents now and then.

its not just accidents, they have to drive with traffic, not to slow or too fast.

in many areas the speed limit is too slow or too fast and the auto car will need to overide speed limits and use adaptive technology to drive with traffic at practical speeds.

one example here in south florida the local roads are very good and laid out more like a highway than a local road.
speed limits are 45 mph but not even the 90 year old grandpa drive 45mph
slow cars go 60mph and many drive 70mph, have tobe over 80 for a ticket.
so even if you drive 50mph you are a traffic hazard, ie 100s of cars will be dodging around you.