Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pulled the trigger: AWD to RWD for faster delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a reservation owner (albeit done this year) and my AWD seems nowhere in sight. Especially because I am on East coast and I already see people in this forums being scheduled for early November. And no word on mine. Since my windows was Sep-Nov I got worried that I might not get the car this year. Since all the anecdotal (forums and real life) points to RWD being delivered a lot faster I made the change last night. I used the hidden link as my Edit button was never there (I pay cash).

Now my delivery says "By end of September". Which of course cannot be true. The website did say 4 weeks.

However I know I am not alone in being on the edge about switching. I will update this thread with information if I get more.

Also, interestingly enough during change, I was allowed to chose the 2 colors that are no longer available (and I checked that you CANNOT get them if you design a fresh car).

I am a reservation owner (albeit done this year) and my AWD seems nowhere in sight. Especially because I am on East coast and I already see people in this forums being scheduled for early November. And no word on mine. Since my windows was Sep-Nov I got worried that I might not get the car this year. Since all the anecdotal (forums and real life) points to RWD being delivered a lot faster I made the change last night. I used the hidden link as my Edit button was never there (I pay cash).

Now my delivery says "By end of September". Which of course cannot be true. The website did say 4 weeks.

However I know I am not alone in being on the edge about switching. I will update this thread with information if I get more.

Also, interestingly enough during change, I was allowed to chose the 2 colors that are no longer available (and I checked that you CANNOT get them if you design a fresh car).

AWD vehicles are close to immediately available. So you can expect a call any day.

A new blurb when up on the Tesla site last night and indicated that ALL reservations made by Monday will get the tax credit. So you pulled the switch a smidgen too early.

But, the RWD car is a great car, you'll love it.

Oh, by the way, you will hear NOTHING from Tesla until your car is ready. So your previous order was in normal processing and could have been delivered in only a few weeks, but who knows.

Reactions: webdbbt
Since all the anecdotal (forums and real life) points to RWD being delivered a lot faster I made the change last night.
If it was possibly losing out on the tax credit that made you switch, you may want to consider switching back to AWD if that's what you really want. Tesla just announced that any order placed before the 15th will be delivered by the end of the year.

If it was possibly losing out on the tax credit that made you switch, you may want to consider switching back to AWD if that's what you really want. Tesla just announced that any order placed before the 15th will be delivered by the end of the year.
It looks like you are in Ohio and OP is in Florida. As a metro-Phoenix resident AWD is no big deal, but I imagine I might care if I lived in Ohio.

All else being equal I'd have preferred AWD but couldn't justify it for $6K, combined with how well everyone says the Tesla's handle in snow even with just Read Wheel drive I figured I'd forego the dual motors and save some money. Even if I decide later to get a set of winter tires I'll still be ahead.

You might want to stick with AWD, I think you may be very close to getting it. Are you using Tesla financing and have you been invited to apply?

I reserved an AWD this February / ordered late in the day June 30th. Early Oct I visited my local service center and they recommended e-mailing [email protected] to start financing. I did and the next day I heard, for the first time from my DA, who said don't apply, call him in two weeks to check status. I wasn't too happy with that answer but the finance link was not available, so I waited. Yesterday evening, 10 days after his call, the finance link was available. I quickly applied, the loan was approved and financing was complete within 1/2 hour.

Since I think I'm near the end of the reservation waiting list you also might be very close to moving forward. My DA said I would get a car assigned before financing was turned on.

• Informative
Reactions: austinmichaeld
AWD vehicles are close to immediately available. So you can expect a call any day.

A new blurb when up on the Tesla site last night and indicated that ALL reservations made by Monday will get the tax credit. So you pulled the switch a smidgen too early.

But, the RWD car is a great car, you'll love it.

Oh, by the way, you will hear NOTHING from Tesla until your car is ready. So your previous order was in normal processing and could have been delivered in only a few weeks, but who knows.

That is correct about Tesla communication and this post- I was a 3/31/18 within 2hour pre-deposit wait-list customer; I broke down and ordered the AWD on 9/11/18, got an email 9/15/18 (!) asking if I wanted my Model3 delivered on 9/28 or 9/29. I requested 9/29. No Tesla contact from "Delivery Logistics Advisor" until 10/2/18 asking me if I prefer delivery on 10/4 or 10/5 with specific windows of time. I chose 10/5/18, got a reconfirmation and then 3 hours after that, Tesla sent me an email to take a lokk and be aware of latest update-....the email told me to come to Fremont at 10:00AM on 10/5 and pick up my car :-((. Until we all lose our verbal communication skills, this is NOT a very customer-service oriented way of communication or doing business. Long story longer, after a callback, Tesla agreed to deliver my vehicle as originally promised (the second promise). Love the car! Not-so-love the communication / logistics / hoops...

• Informative
Reactions: neroden