Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PUP Winter Tire Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there has been lots of discussion about this and I've read all the prior posts but still have a dilemma and am seeking input.

We live in the SF Bay Area and have a MY PUP with the 21" Uberturbines. We usually drive up to Lake Tahoe a few times a year for long weekends skiing, and also like to be able to take a winter hiking trip or two to the Yosemite region. This year, with covid and work from home, there is a chance we will rent a place in the mountains for a few weeks. Nevertheless, the majority of our time will be spent in coastal California where the temperatures rarely drop below 40 and will often be in the 60's and 70's.

Given the summer performance tires on our Y, we obviously need to make some sort of change since we can't drive the Pirelli P-Zeros in temperatures below 40 degrees. The big question is what to do. Here are the options I am thinking through:

1 - Buy the Pirelli Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires that just came out and fit on the 21" Uberturbine. This is a compromise as the all seasons aren't great on the snow, and the large size of the tires likely makes them perform even worse on snow and ice. Another caveat is I know we should not change the tires on the rims too often as it is bad for the low-profile rubber. It appears that after a delay, the PS A/S 4 tires are now available for sale on the Michelin website.

2 - Buy a new set of rims (probably the 19" T Sportline TSV Flow) and a set of quality all season tires (Continental DSW06 or Pilot Sport A/S 4). This will cost $3k to $3.5k all in. We could recoup some of the cost by selling the Uberturbines, and ride quality will improve (and possibly range). Alternatively, we could keep the Ubers and just swap these twice per year.

3 - Same as (2) above, but going with a dedicated winter tire. While I understand the significant performance improvement in snow that winter tires provide, I'm hesitant about the reality that for the vast majority of the winter we will be in coastal weather. I have no problem driving slowly and carefully when in the mountains, and we can plan our trip around the weather need be.

I've spent too much time researching this and now have decision fatigue and anxiety. What does the community think we should do?

I live in Canada and ski 30-50x a year and have always used good quality all season tires. However, I have switched to "all weather" tires, these can be driven year round and have the snowflake symbol that qualifies the tires as snow tires. That's what I'll be putting on the Y, Toyo Celsius, 255/45R19