Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchased Tesla MY LR today. Being shipped to dealer now and to me in 2 weeks...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to forum and new to Tesla. Purchased a MY LR. Went with blue w/ white leather. 5 seater. '19 wheels. I realize much of this has been covered before however I was hoping to address some questions/concerns in this post. Any advice is appreciated. Forgive me for redundancy:

1. Swapping out stock "19 wheels for black. Not entirely sure on model but have a few options. Probably buying from tire rack and having local dealer install. Never done this before however was hoping to keep price below $500/rim. Does this seem reasonable? Is there any market for the current Gemini wheels or should I just store in garage?
  2. Ordered a screen protector.
  3. Anyone have a suggestion for cleaning the white interior?
  4. We don't have a dealer in Iowa. MN dealership is shipping down to my home. Said I have 100 miles to review/record any issues, etc. This seems fair?
  5. Strong opinions on mud flaps one way or another?
  6. Will use trickle charge as first until I have a 14-50 installed. I don't drive more than 10 - 15 miles per day and have other vehicle so slow charging isn't an issue.
I am positive I am missing dozens of things but these are what comes to mind. Excited for vehicle and appreciate the help.

Tesla doesn't have dealers, they have service centers.

With that little driving, you'll be fine "trickle charging" (I assume you mean 120V / 8-12 A or so). I did a 39 mile round trip commute for a long time only using 120V overnight charging. 240V and more amps can be more efficient with the way Tesla has their onboard chargers set up though.

New to forum and new to Tesla. Purchased a MY LR. Went with blue w/ white leather. 5 seater. '19 wheels. I realize much of this has been covered before however I was hoping to address some questions/concerns in this post. Any advice is appreciated. Forgive me for redundancy:

1. Will use trickle charge as first until I have a 14-50 installed. I don't drive more than 10 - 15 miles per day and have other vehicle so slow charging isn't an issue.
I am positive I am missing dozens of things but these are what comes to mind. Excited for vehicle and appreciate the help.

It's not a trickle charge. Both of my cars drive more than 15 miles per day and we alternate charging on a single 120V 15A plug. In 12 hours, you can get 60 miles.

Welcome!

1. Swapping out stock "19 wheels for black. Not entirely sure on model but have a few options. Probably buying from tire rack and having local dealer install. Never done this before however was hoping to keep price below $500/rim. Does this seem reasonable? Is there any market for the current Gemini wheels or should I just store in garage?
I bought black wheel covers. They look great. Much less expensive.

I use LVP. Any standard interior cleaner should be fine. The seats are not actually leather.

4. We don't have a dealer in Iowa. MN dealership is shipping down to my home. Said I have 100 miles to review/record any issues, etc. This seems fair?
Fair.

Installing front mud flaps should be the first thing you do. Adding ppf to the corner of the rear doors is recommended. Without mudflaps or ppf the doors will get dinged by small stones thrown up by the front tires. Sometimes the cars come with mudflaps and this ppf already installed but I wouldn't count on it.

6. Will use trickle charge as first until I have a 14-50 installed. I don't drive more than 10 - 15 miles per day and have other vehicle so slow charging isn't an issue.
Level 1 (120 volt) charging should be sufficient in most cases. Although it might not be able to charge the car when it is very cold. In this case almost all the energy gets used to heat the battery so there is nothing left over for actual charging.

Reactions: Mike728
I bought black wheel covers. They look great. Much less expensive.
We bought ours with the 20's, because we didn't like the look of the silver. We had no idea they were just covers that could be changed easily. That's the last thing I thought to research. If we were to do it over again, I think we would have kept the 19's and bought the black covers. That $2k could have gone to AB! :)

We all knew what he was saying. What’s the big deal? Why beat up on the new guy?

IMG_1016.gif

@heavync Welcome to the forum.

1. I’m not real big on changing the wheels, lot of money for something you can’t see when driving. I do understand some want a Tesla for what it is, others want a Tesla for what it can be. That being said, there seems to be a market for almost new wheels and tires.
2. I know people order the screen protector, I don’t find the need. Same for my iPad and I run the battery down every day.
3. Had I known how easy it was to clean the white interior I would have ordered white. Several of my friends say it’s very easy to keep clean.
5. You really need mud flaps on the front, I didn’t install them and by 4,000 miles I was seeing small chips behind the front tires. The back, not so much but most come in a set of four.
6. A 110v charge will get you by with the miles you drive. Thats all one of my friends has, says he’s used a Super Charger when more was needed. If you plan to install a 14-50 outlet, why not just install a wall charger instead?

We all knew what he was saying. What’s the big deal? Why beat up on the new guy?

View attachment 974209
@heavync Welcome to the forum.

1. I’m not real big on changing the wheels, lot of money for something you can’t see when driving. I do understand some want a Tesla for what it is, others want a Tesla for what it can be. That being said, there seems to be a market for almost new wheels and tires.
2. I know people order the screen protector, I don’t find the need. Same for my iPad and I run the battery down every day.
3. Had I known how easy it was to clean the white interior I would have ordered white. Several of my friends say it’s very easy to keep clean.
5. You really need mud flaps on the front, I didn’t install them and by 4,000 miles I was seeing small chips behind the front tires. The back, not so much but most come in a set of four.
6. A 110v charge will get you by with the miles you drive. Thats all one of my friends has, says he’s used a Super Charger when more was needed. If you plan to install a 14-50 outlet, why not just install a wall charger instead?
Appreciate the reply. Not against a wall charger, I just know I have the equipment for the 14-50 with the mobile pack. Didn’t see a need to purchase wall charger but will look at it.
Thank you

With that little driving, you'll be fine "trickle charging" (I assume you mean 120V / 8-12 A or so). I did a 39 mile round trip commute for a long time only using 120V overnight charging. 240V and more amps can be more efficient with the way Tesla has their onboard chargers set up though.
Thank you. Yes I meant 120v system.

Thank you. Yes I meant 120v system.
Real world charging.

Power is included in my hangar, 120v 15a, so I bought a mobile charger thinking it would pay for itself. The charge rate is 2mph, sometimes I‘ll see 3mph. It’s not worth plugging in for a day trip, if I’m gone 12 hours I only get 24 miles of charge.

At my home using a wall charger 240v 50a, I get the same charge in 37 minutes. That’s a big difference.

Real world charging.

Power is included in my hangar, 120v 15a, so I bought a mobile charger thinking it would pay for itself. The charge rate is 2mph, sometimes I‘ll see 3mph. It’s not worth plugging in for a day trip, if I’m gone 12 hours I only get 24 miles of charge.

At my home using a wall charger 240v 50a, I get the same charge in 37 minutes. That’s a big difference.
Thank you. And from what I can tell there is a fair amount of energy wasted with 120v charging. Believe the mobile charger with 14-50 adapter and plug is the way to go.

Believe the mobile charger with 14-50 adapter and plug is the way to go.

Agreed on 14-50 being the way to go. It's a touch more cost vs. hard wiring an EVSE due to the new codes requiring GFCI breakers, but worth it in my opinion. Easier to replace if the EVSE fails, and you can bring it with you on road trips if needed. I've done that with my 2 OpenEVSEs with 14-X plugs (one normally hooked up to a 14-30 and another to a 6-20 outlet via adapter) for about 24 months in service total and been pretty happy. Shop around before you pick your EVSE, you don't have to go with the Tesla one if you don't want to.

We all knew what he was saying.

Yes, the people on this forum know to what the OP was referring. But there's still a large portion of the population who are uninformed as to the massive difference between the legacy dealer boondoggle (and the idiotic laws that force the public to buy through them) vs. the benefits of direct sales of automobiles. I didn't say that to "beat up on him", but to help the OP use accurate language so they can help inform the next tier of EV converts who aren't yet on this forum :)

Thank you. And from what I can tell there is a fair amount of energy wasted with 120v charging. Believe the mobile charger with 14-50 adapter and plug is the way to go.
I have both, wall plug and Tesla wall charger. The Tesla wall charger is better. Nicer cord, gfi built in and not required in master panel. It’s easier to use, and I can coil the cable around the wall charger when I unplug.

I’m likely to replace the wall plug with a Tesla wall charger in the next year or two.
just my two cents, but it seems to be the forum consensus, lots of threads on this topic.

Fundamently charging at home is key, and how one accomplishes it is less important.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
I have both, wall plug and Tesla wall charger. The Tesla wall charger is better. Nicer cord, gfi built in and not required in master panel. It’s easier to use, and I can coil the cable around the wall charger when I unplug.

I’m likely to replace the wall plug with a Tesla wall charger in the next year or two.
just my two cents, but it seems to be the forum consensus, lots of threads on this topic.

Fundamently charging at home is key, and how one accomplishes it is less important.
If I get the wall charger does the regular 120v come with it for travel/etc? Seems like I need something for travel

The mobile cable with a 110V and a NEMA 50 amp 240 V adapters are a good travel kit that you sometimes need. Much of my travel I used hotel destination chargers and Tesla superchargers. I rarely used the mobile charger. But occasionally, I visit a remote friend and charge overnight in their garage from a regular 110 plug with the mobile cable and 110V adapter.

I’ve never parked at a campground which often has 50 amp 240V plugs for campers and RVs. But I carry it around anyway….

Just trying to clarify the differences between traveling and home charging.

Might be worth having the 5-20 and if you'd ever go to camp spots TT30 adapter. Possibly 14-30 too.

But I bought a ton of adapters with my Tesla and have never used them in 2 years of road trips. Only time I used mobile charger was once at relatives garage on 120v. Supercharges work so well and are more convenient.

I have used the CCS adapter though, that would be my first choice to bring, as well as obviously j1772.

So it sounds like I need to buy the wall charger and the mobile. Mobile for emergencies and wall for everyday. Thanks for advice

I guess this really depends on where you see yourself driving. In 2018 when I got my car, they came with the mobile connector. I thought for sure I would need it, and need to keep it in the car. I bought a wall connector and had it installed, and put the mobile connector in the car.

5 Years later, I have used the mobile connector less than 10 times total, and ALL of those times were convenience, not necessity, as I charged at a family members house so I didnt "have" to stop somewhere, not because I "couldnt" stop somewhere.

I totally get wanting to have the mobile connector in the car, especially if I thought I might go somewhere that I needed to L2 charge at, and there was not DC charging somewhere in range of where I was planning to go.

I just think that, most people may not "need" both these solutions, even if they think they do when they are just starting out.

Reactions: Thp3 and MacO512

2. Ordered a screen protector.
1. Keep the wheels and just add black Uber wheel covers, they look amazing and protect the rims
2.screen protector works
3. Four protective steps, treat 2x coats $$ interior ceramic protectoramt, keep in front glove compartment baby wipes, clean all immediately, usb portable vacuum/fanttik, never wear denim (tough one not do to/dye issue) btw we stayed away from white seats sorry ;)
4. I feel for you brother, Tesla needs to acellerate locations on Indian reservations
5. Used the saved wheel money and cover front and rockers with PPF, diy ceramic $$ outside 2x coats
6. Once installed charging will become a non issue

Good luck, you will love owning a Tesla
Come back with more questions