Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing 2014 P85D 117k with replaced 90kw battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owner Had the battery replaced at 79k miles with a 90kw (P90D now), also updated MCU, upgraded to ludicrous in 2016, seems to have every optional package (premium sound and leather, cold weather, super charge, dual charger, premium connectivity life,etc)for that year. It’s a private seller, any advice on how to go about transferring ownership via Tesla? Is this a time consuming process? would appreciate any thoughts or advice about this purchase (Mid $40s) Thanks

Owner Had the battery replaced at 79k miles with a 90kw (P90D now), also updated MCU, upgraded to ludicrous in 2016, seems to have every optional package (premium sound and leather, cold weather, super charge, dual charger, premium connectivity life,etc)for that year. It’s a private seller, any advice on how to go about transferring ownership via Tesla? Is this a time consuming process? would appreciate any thoughts or advice about this purchase (Mid $40s) Thanks
The replaced battery might not have been a new onejust fyi

• Disagree
Reactions: Demonofelru
You will transfer ownership through your on-line Tesla account. I believe the current owner can go in and 'release' it from their account and then you can request under your account on-line (not in the app) to have it added. You'll need to submit copy of title/registration as proof of ownership. Time I see others report it takes for Tesla to process the transfer tends to be somewhat variable. I've seen some complain of it taking multiple follow-up contacts and a few weeks, others seem to report it happening pretty quickly, within a day or so. I have no idea why some go so smoothly and others seem to have so much difficulty.

I also bought a private party P85D, I just had the guy change his password to a generic one. I logged into his account and changed the contact info and the login credentials. Didn’t have to go through the process of having Tesla do any sort of transfer.

question: My car right now (2017) has FUSC. Came with the car when I purchased from Tesla. However, its not of that limited window purchase period where FUSC transfers, My understanding is that when I sell the car, the FUSC goes away/doesnt transfer.

However, I think I read where if I were to sell to a private party and then simply do as referenced above (give the new buyer my Tesla account/change password/let buyer then own the account so he/she can update to his/her contact info/credentials), then the FUSC will indeed transfer to the new buyer.
Is that accurate?

question: My car right now (2017) has FUSC. Came with the car when I purchased from Tesla. However, its not of that limited window purchase period where FUSC transfers, My understanding is that when I sell the car, the FUSC goes away/doesnt transfer.

However, I think I read where if I were to sell to a private party and then simply do as referenced above (give the new buyer my Tesla account/change password/let buyer then own the account so he/she can update to his/her contact info/credentials), then the FUSC will indeed transfer to the new buyer.
Is that accurate?
It likely would transfer, until Telsa realizes, at which point they will likely take it away. Whether they choose to pursue or the new owner for fraudulent transfer to second owner a benefit that was clearly stated to not transfer is open for debate.

It likely would transfer, until Telsa realizes, at which point they will likely take it away. Whether they choose to pursue or the new owner for fraudulent transfer to second owner a benefit that was clearly stated to not transfer is open for debate.

This was not true when we bought our 85. The full unlimited supercharging, as well as the premium connectivity, comes with the car. Tesla can and I understand will usually, remove these features if you buy through a dealer. Apparently they cannot do so if you buy through a private party. At least, I know of no one suffering that loss.

This was not true when we bought our 85. The full unlimited supercharging, as well as the premium connectivity, comes with the car. Tesla can and I understand will usually, remove these features if you buy through a dealer. Apparently they cannot do so if you buy through a private party. At least, I know of no one suffering that loss.
The difference in the transfer of FUSC is between cars prior to early 2017 and those after early 2017.
Those prior to Jan 15, 2017 order and Apr 1, 2017 delivery have FUSC that is transferrable and goes for the life of the car.

Cars, such as 2101Guy describes, have FUSC that is only for the original purchaser and does not transfer to second owner. That is irrespective of whether it is a private party sale, sold through a 3rd party dealer, or back through Tesla. The way some try to 'trick' the system is to just give the new owner the Tesla account associated with the car as that can attempt to "avoid" an ownership transfer in the Tesla system, so get around the limitation that FUSC was only intended for the first owner.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
It’s easy - just have the seller transfer the car to you in his / her Tesla account. You will get an email very shortly thereafter inviting you to complete setup of the car in your account, and you’re done.

This is what the seller and I did a couple of months ago; the process was quick, easy and the FUSC (and free data) transferred no problem.

For dealer sales, or where you’re trying to pull a fast one to keep non-transferable supercharging, it gets more complicated. But assuming the seller of your car has owned it prior to mid-2019, your transfer should be straightforward.

Appreciate all the replies and info. Bought the car, love it...everything transferred over easily.
What is the build date? You might have the + suspension on your 2014. Combine that with the updated 90 pack and you have a rather unusual combination.

If you have the 1088792-00-A battery (aka V3) then you have the best possible battery in terms of power output and reliability, short of getting a 100 pack upgrade ($$$$$!)

Not sure the build date but original owner took delivery 12/30/14 (so very late for 2014 model year). It does have the air suspension. The 90 pack was installed in 2017 (I’ll double check the paperwork). I am not sure how to check the battery version but that’s great to know. The owner was rather happy with the 90 upgrade.

I also thought it was a unique build out combination for the year and upgrades it has. Thanks for the info And comment.

There should be a sticker on the right side of the battery. Turn the wheels all the way to the left and look behind the right front wheel.
The battery part number will be on the sticker.
0B0D6502-5584-48BC-AE83-98590C8584A1.jpeg
The build date (month and year) should be on the sticker in the driver’s door jamb.