Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking advice on purchase of a UK Model S (motors and batteries replaced)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[Moderator note: Moved thread title into body of post.]

I am considering a purchase of a 2015 P85D which had it's Battery and Motors replaced under warranty last year (UK).

The current owner (of just 6 months) is selling due to a new job and company car, they claim the work was carried out in September 2022. The battery was apparently replaced with a 90kWh unit.
I have no info on whether the replacements were new or reconditioned. What's the likely scenario? How can we find out for sure?

Does buying this car seem like a good idea?
Thanks in advance for any help. 👍🏼

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: David Harvey
If the seller can provide the service invoice, you can tell from that if new or refurbished parts were used. In the US, HV battery replacements typically use refurbished batteries. The replacement battery gets the remainder of the original battery warranty (in the US), so in your case you’re either already out of warranty or will be sometime this year, if the UK uses the same warranty terms.

[Moderator note: Moved thread title into body of post.]

I am considering a purchase of a 2015 P85D which had it's Battery and Motors replaced under warranty last year (UK).

The current owner (of just 6 months) is selling due to a new job and company car, they claim the work was carried out in September 2022. The battery was apparently replaced with a 90kWh unit.
I have no info on whether the replacements were new or reconditioned. What's the likely scenario? How can we find out for sure?

Does buying this car seem like a good idea?
Thanks in advance for any help. 👍🏼
That will depend upon the car's asking price and having definitive proof of the replacements, their specifications and the length of the warranties still outstanding on those items.

I'm in the UK. I'd suggest that in reality, the fact that those items have been replaced makes little or no difference. I'd want to see the car's service history just like for any other car and Tesla history / work record should be available in the current owner's phone app.

There are lots of other things (like memory chip, headlights, suspension, 12v battery, MCU version / screen replacement, heater etc that I'd be just as interested in knowing about all those too.

I'd say that for that age car, knowing that those items had recently been replaced by Tesla would probably on balance be a good thing.

Main thing as already posted above is if the price is right. I haven't seen much evidence over here of 3rd party repair options for bigger items. No Grubers or WK's AFAIK.

With few if any well established (UK) 3rd party repairers, you need to be comfortable with Tesla's support (expense, method, speed, availability) or taking your chances with DIY and used parts. All that means that there is no cheap option, so it certainly needs to be a nice car as you'll likely pay for it one way or another.

Last edited:
The existing owner didn't own the vehicle when the battery pack and motors were replaced, hence no record. That makes sense as the service history is not transferred to the new owner (I guess because of GDPR, although blanking out names, addresses etc... by a leading tech company shouldn't be difficult for them you would assume). As someone else has advised, the new battery would have a label that should advise if the battery is original or replaced. I think this is your only option to confirm. Tesla tell you nothing.

Although I am a bit of a distance away from you, I am planning on selling my 2016 90D model S shortly if interested? Don't worry if not and you have your heart settled on the performance model.