Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing FSD to upgrade computer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a February 2017 Model S, which has AP 2.0 hardware. I purchased it with EAP but not the FSD option. It looks like the FSD purchase price is set to increase again tomorrow (or maybe May 10th?) so I'm considering taking the leap now. I'm trying to figure out exactly what hardware will be upgraded, and how much functionality I will gain. For example, will the MCU be upgraded as well, or only the self driving computer? Will I get things like Dashcam, Sentry Mode, USB video game capability, etc? While some of these may be only gimmicks, some are potentially very valuable so will factor into my decision to upgrade or not.

I emailed Tesla Customer Support and got this response:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. Any customer who has purchased Full Self Driving will be upgraded to the Full Self Driving Computer and be able to experience the full suite of features at no additional cost.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7 at [email protected].

For example, will the MCU be upgraded as well, or only the self driving computer? Will I get things like Dashcam, Sentry Mode, USB video game capability, etc?

They won't be updating the MCU... As far as what features will get enabled on AP2 cars we have no idea. But it is possible that Dashcam and full Sentry mode would work. (Though the cameras aren't optimized for them.)

I don't know what "USB video game capability" is as I don't think any Tesla has something called that.

Really you should expect that just the AP computer would be swapped with the FSD computer. Don't expect to get your cameras and/or radar replaced or the wiring updated to what comes in AP2.5+ cars.

I think I'm going to wait... I want to see Tesla actually retrofitting cars and see some reviews on the upgraded experience before shelling out another $5k for something that is currently just a promise of features that will come later. If I have to pay more later because I waited, I guess that's the way it goes but $5k is a lot to shell out for a "promise" to do something in the future right now.

Additionally, I could wreck the car between now and when FSD drops, and I'd just be out of the $$.. no thanks...

Last but not least, I'm sure Tesla will probably do another "sale" it may not be $5k but it will be less than what they bump the price up for... I'll buy at that point. It may even come with a 30 day preview (best scenario) so I can actually eval FSD features for myself before buying something sight unseen.

I think I'm going to wait... I want to see Tesla actually retrofitting cars and see some reviews on the upgraded experience before shelling out another $5k for something that is currently just a promise of features that will come later. If I have to pay more later because I waited, I guess that's the way it goes but $5k is a lot to shell out for a "promise" to do something in the future right now.

Additionally, I could wreck the car between now and when FSD drops, and I'd just be out of the $$.. no thanks...

Last but not least, I'm sure Tesla will probably do another "sale" it may not be $5k but it will be less than what they bump the price up for... I'll buy at that point. It may even come with a 30 day preview (best scenario) so I can actually eval FSD features for myself before buying something sight unseen.
Uh, how could you have a 30 day preview if you don't have the FSD computer? :)

Good point. Chalk that up to multitasking while replying. My friend who recently bought a M3 just paid for FSD yesterday and said that the new features were already available today? I've asked him what he meant by "new features" but he hasn't replied yet. I'm wondering if some of these "new features" are stuff that are already included with enhanced AP (for those of us who got that)... He got just AP, and at a lower cost than what I paid for EAP so perhaps he's seeing some of the EAP features show up as FSD despite not having a HW3 car (he's 2.5)

He said....it goes on sale.....I will buy it then ..... it may even come with a 30 day preview ....

I think hes saying:
after he buys the updated the self driving computer. He wants a free update . Which is hilarious because by then he will have paid for it already , so what's the preview? I ordered my big mack and fries, it may even come with some free fries? Or buying your ice cream cone and then test samples afterwards ???

Maybe some Tesla drivers are overly enthusiastic ;)

If they'll update my computer module and then I can have a demo of fsd, without paying for a new module , it would make more sense