Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Model S after lease

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello TMC peeps!

My 2016 MS 60D with Free Lifetime SC lease is coming to an end. I have a $51,000 residual value. I'm about 20,000 miles over the mileage allowance of 45,000 miles.

I would like to keep the car and wanted to see if anyone out there has done something similar. Do I have room to negotiate on the residual value? Does the mileage overage matter since I'm buying it?

What would be a better option? The Free Supercharging is valuable to me and it's the main reason I'd like to keep it. Thoughts?

Thanks!

What's your over mileage rate?

Off the cuff, I think the $51k RV is really high for a 2016 60D with 65k miles!

You'd probably save a lot more money by paying the mileage overage fee and buying a different used model from Tesla (see below), even if you have to pay for supercharging in the long run.

These all have more range than your 60D and include the used limited warranty from Tesla (either 2 or 4 years): Most of these should have FUSC:

upload_2019-7-16_15-40-14.png

One thought I have had about buying mine out (I have a 4-yr lease with a $50k CDN residual that ends in December) is if I buy mine out, I don't get the warranty but if I could find a used one similar to mine, it would have a warranty. I find this odd and might be something I will ask about when making my ultimate decision.

In my case, I think my residual is a reasonable amount, as I haven't seen any Ses for sale in Canada for much less than $60k yet, so I'm leaning to buying mine out anyhow.

I bought my P85D out of the warranty for the exact same reasons. I don't regret this, though I have no warranty. Free supercharging and not having to pay for my mileage overages made it worth it.

PSA though - don't expect the purchase to go smoothly. My thinking was that I already have the car, how hard could it be? Well...turns out the same atrocious customer service and complete lack of organization applies whether you have the car in your possession, order a used one, or order it new.