Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purchasing Used Model 3 from non Tesla Dealer, can I Supercharge to get home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I am 98% sure I am trading in my pre facelift model S in on a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. The dealership is a non Tesla dealer so I do not believe the vehicle is owned with anyone's name under my tesla accounts. Since i will not be able to add it directly to my existing my tesla account until i have my registration/title sent in to Tesla will I not be able to supercharge on my way home?

My Model S has free unlimited charging so I am not sure how this would work with having to pay to charge on the 3. Anyone been through this before if so what did you do?

So I am 98% sure I am trading in my pre facelift model S in on a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. The dealership is a non Tesla dealer so I do not believe the vehicle is owned with anyone's name under my tesla accounts. Since i will not be able to add it directly to my existing my tesla account until i have my registration/title sent in to Tesla will I not be able to supercharge on my way home?

My Model S has free unlimited charging so I am not sure how this would work with having to pay to charge on the 3. Anyone been through this before if so what did you do?
Call Tesla and ask. No one here can answer your question with certainty, and if you are going to need to Supercharger on your trip home I recommend you get get a definitive answer.

My personal opinion is that it is unlikely that you will be able to Supercharge before your new Model 3 shows up in your My Tesla account. So research your charging options on your route.

Reactions: C141medic
Call Tesla and ask. No one here can answer your question with certainty, and if you are going to need to Supercharger on your trip home I recommend you get get a definitive answer.

My personal opinion is that it is unlikely that you will be able to Supercharge before your new Model 3 shows up in your My Tesla account. So research your charging options on your route.
Yeah, what ecarfan said. Plugshare is a good resource for finding non-Supercharger options to get you home. Also, can the dealer plug it in until you arrive? Even 5 mi/hr on 120 is better than nothing. And maybe it has a decent charge already, if you're lucky.

Reactions: vickh
Got my car from a non Tesla dealer in LV, and drove home to PHX. Supercharged in Kingman, AZ same day. Tesla sent me a bill in the car, which I paid with my Credit Card.
You will need to transfer ownership as soon as the car is registered in your name.

• Informative
Reactions: jdcollins5
Going to end the thread here.

Unless it’s a salvaged Tesla where the car is considered offline - supercharging will work.

Tesla has to be cautious on the side of making sure people are not stranded. These bills get trued up at service centers.

Reactions: lmyamen
Going to end the thread here.

Unless it’s a salvaged Tesla where the car is considered offline - supercharging will work.

Tesla has to be cautious on the side of making sure people are not stranded. These bills get trued up at service centers.

ok that’s what I like hearing. I guess we will find out when I get the car Saturday. The dealer said they will try to test out supercharging prior to me getting there. They are going to fully charge it for me prior to arriving so that will get me at least half way home.

Reactions: CharleyBC
I have done this. Bought in Jacksonville FL and drive up to Atlanta GA. Started at 100% (stayed at hotel with destination charger) and stopped twice at superchargers. We were a little anxious, but it worked. 2nd stop was more precautionary to have some extra juice, since I did not have 240v outlet installed beforehand.

Reactions: lmyamen