TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Purchasing Used Model 3 from non Tesla Dealer, can I Supercharge to get home?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lmyamen, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lmyamen

lmyamen Member

So I am 98% sure I am trading in my pre facelift model S in on a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD. The dealership is a non Tesla dealer so I do not believe the vehicle is owned with anyone's name under my tesla accounts. Since i will not be able to add it directly to my existing my tesla account until i have my registration/title sent in to Tesla will I not be able to supercharge on my way home?

My Model S has free unlimited charging so I am not sure how this would work with having to pay to charge on the 3. Anyone been through this before if so what did you do?

2. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Does the vehicle have an accident history? If so, you may not be able to supercharge at all.

• Disagree x 1
  3. lmyamen

lmyamen Member

Nope clean title one owner vehicle

4. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

I believe you will need to have Tesla add the car to your account before you can supercharge. When you plug in it sends the VIN to the server to verify owner’s account.

5. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Call Tesla and ask them.

• Like x 2
  6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Call Tesla and ask. No one here can answer your question with certainty, and if you are going to need to Supercharger on your trip home I recommend you get get a definitive answer.

My personal opinion is that it is unlikely that you will be able to Supercharge before your new Model 3 shows up in your My Tesla account. So research your charging options on your route.

• Like x 1
  7. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Yeah, what ecarfan said. Plugshare is a good resource for finding non-Supercharger options to get you home. Also, can the dealer plug it in until you arrive? Even 5 mi/hr on 120 is better than nothing. And maybe it has a decent charge already, if you're lucky.

• Like x 1
  8. vickh

vickh Active Member

look for destination chargers as well.

• Like x 1
  9. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Definitely call but I doubt you will have an issue.

10. TM3blu

TM3blu Member

Got my car from a non Tesla dealer in LV, and drove home to PHX. Supercharged in Kingman, AZ same day. Tesla sent me a bill in the car, which I paid with my Credit Card.
    You will need to transfer ownership as soon as the car is registered in your name.

• Informative x 1
  11. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Going to end the thread here.

Unless it’s a salvaged Tesla where the car is considered offline - supercharging will work.

Tesla has to be cautious on the side of making sure people are not stranded. These bills get trued up at service centers.

• Like x 1
  12. lmyamen

lmyamen Member

ok that’s what I like hearing. I guess we will find out when I get the car Saturday. The dealer said they will try to test out supercharging prior to me getting there. They are going to fully charge it for me prior to arriving so that will get me at least half way home.

• Like x 1
  13. gdgtgeek

gdgtgeek Member

I have done this. Bought in Jacksonville FL and drive up to Atlanta GA. Started at 100% (stayed at hotel with destination charger) and stopped twice at superchargers. We were a little anxious, but it worked. 2nd stop was more precautionary to have some extra juice, since I did not have 240v outlet installed beforehand.

• Like x 1