Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Purposely Delayed Tesla Model 3 Refund

Is Tesla fraudulently withholding people's deposits?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting over 90 days for my check refund. It took a solid week of calling and emailing them to get my first response. Then was told to wait 30-60 days, which they said meant call back if didn't receive in 60 days. Called back after 60 days, and they said it was sent, and they would call back. I called back after not hearing from them, and they said it was refunded to my ApplePay account, which I laughed. Then then some refunds didn't go out correctly, and the system put the refund as something like ApplePay and didn't notify anyone that it was incorrect...so the only way they know people haven't gotten refunds is if people call them. so they were having the research group look for it, and to call back in two weeks if i haven't heard anything. I have now been on hold for over over 30 minutes.... What a coverup. Don't trust them..lies lies lies...not one thing have they told me in over 90 days has come to happen...

Does anyone have any contact that they can share or PM me that can help with expediting car refunds?

Not having that $3,500 cash flow sucks. My $2,500 deposit is on my current CC statement that is due in a few days. Not sure if I should submit a CC claim or what when Tesla advised it would take 30-60 days but people here have experienced 60+ days.

Do your Amazon or Costco refunds take 3 months? Other than using your money for free, Tesla have no reason for not promptly refunding you. Give them a week or two (more than reasonable time for a refund) and then file that cc dispute.

Thanks. I’ll call CC company and see what they say. It’s been a little over 2 weeks.

Anyone that file a dispute with their CC company here and Tesla is playing even more hard ball because you did that?

Edit: filed a dispute. Chase did not have any issues and advised I should. Thanks for the push @TeeEmCee

Last edited:
Damn man good luck. You have to get in touch and get lucky to get rep that is willing to help and stick with that rep. Ask for their email and direct # and bug the *sugar* out of them.

Can’t believe how many times I got “oh open up the web chat to check in on the status”. While there was no web chat that popped up.

So glad I filed a dispute for the $2,500.

Finally got my $1k check. Last week! 3months! 1/4 of a year! First, they denied it because said i was assigned a VIN but i was not. They switched my build without my authorization and assigned me P3D vin. Good thing i had emails in writing about the switcheroo and my request for cancellation. I was so fed up with the lack of CS that i canceled and got the inventory car I wanted. Much better experience. I’m never throwing down another reservation for a car again. Tesla made false promises two years ago at launch and switched their policy as their need$ changed. I don’t have an issue with that. Love my Teslas but never giving anyone an interest free loan again. Not even for the Y, tesla pickup, or Rivian.

• Helpful
Reactions: hqubic
I've been waiting about four months for my Model 3 reservation deposit refund. After contacting Tesla, I was told about a month and a half ago that the cancellation team would handle it, but still nothing.
It can be slow. It's been a pain getting a replacement check for my PUP refund. That said, my original 1k deposit was refunded after a few weeks.

I switched an 3 order to S, was told they couldn’t roll my deposit directly into a order and will need to cancel the 3 instead. That was back in Sept 2018. I just got my refund two weeks ago, and that was after multiple texts / calls / emails with various department, yeah it can take a while.

I've been waiting about four months for my Model 3 reservation deposit refund. After contacting Tesla, I was told about a month and a half ago that the cancellation team would handle it, but still nothing.
Nevermind. I think I was looking at my credit card bank, but Tesla refunded only a few weeks after I asked for it. I think what might have happened is that they routed it to my bank for the refund. I don't see anyway to delete my previous comment—sorry Tesla. Luv ya.