Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Putting Model S 19" Slipstreams on my Model X Performance.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking for a set of the 19x8.5" ET35 pre-refresh/Long Range Plus silver Tempest wheels forever locally. Still haven't found a set, but that's the ideal OEM wheel for the X if you can't find the Cyclones

For TPMS, just about any 433mhz TPMS ought to work. You can pull the part number from EPC and cross reference with dozens of aftermarket options. The car doesn't need to learn the sensor, if it's compatible it'll just work and you don't have to do anything, for the pre-refresh cars anyway.

went ahead and installed new set ms 19 slipstream w 255/55/19 bridgestone alenza... wow... the comfort level is phenomenal... don t know how ppl can sanely drive around in 22" wheels...

lugnut cover is protruding... np
looks oem... great
no issues w fitment... awesome
spacer not needed... cool

Attachments

• IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    742.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 81
Thanks for the comment. I never mentioned before that I replaced the tires with over 50,000 miles on them and they still had decent tread. Also I had very little wear extra on the inside of the tires when on the rear. I did rotate every 5,000 miles and used the low setting on the air suspension to save the front half shafts. I think using the narrower higher profile tires allows the tires to flex more and thus contact the ground more evenly across the tread even when using the low suspension setting.

agreed, the higher profile tires def will give extra life to suspension parts... thunk sounds have mostly been replaced with whoosh sounds... i do occasionally have to move a 1k lb teardrop like trailer around so that s why i have 255 width tires on the mx but i will buy another set of 2 to run 245 in the front - i do believe 255 is pushing the envelope for front with 30" diameter... will post pics when done...

update on the 255 55 19 all around setup

went to the mountain this week and enjoyed myself good... on the ride up and down i had to step on the peddle hard a few time to stay out of the way of big construction rigs and offroaders to avoid rocks debris etc... i noticed no loss of grip or spinning and accelerated quite well when needed... bc of this trip i think i will stay w 255 width setup just in case if ever i needed to do that again in the near future... i also been keeping my suspension at low after reading

AMirza

fellow tmc member here and noticed even highway driving i am able to maintain 290kw/mile... this is phenomenal energy saving that was impossible before on 265 (275) 45 20 setup... i def think 19' wheels are the way to go if you don t mind the smaller rim look...

I have a 19 inch set sitting around from my Model S before I switched to 20’s …. I just feel like the 19inch looks a little funny on the X….
But if it’s for a smooth ride and range gains surely something I wana try.

Any recommendation on tires for the 19 inch wheels
I like quiet rides with low tire noise.

fellow member

Mr. Ed

w the red mx i think? is very knowledgeable on the setup - he posted good info on tire size and type for a smooth and quiet ride, i take all my cues from

Mr. Ed

and glad i did bc i would not have switched to 19" ms slipstreams wo his extensive writeup on them

i did differ from him in a few aspect but if i were to do it again i would just copy his exact setup as his pics photos speak for themselves

anyone w plaid or running 22' wheels would benefit the most from 19" wheels

re: ride quality and range i d go back over all of

Mr. Ed

posts on ms 19' slipstream

Hi,
To answer your questions:
All wheels are R19 Slipstreams from the Model S. I had to shorten the lug nut covers 1/2" to match the look of them when on the 20" wheels. (see picture)
I used the 6mm spacers on all wheels. You could use them only on the back if you want, but the setup works well for me.
Ride, and road noise seems better. It can depend on which tire you use. I did not notice any real difference in handling, but obviously the wider lower profile 20" tires and wheels will handle better.
I immediately noticed about a 10% increase in range. My car is a 2017 5 passenger 100D.
The new tires stick out more from the wheels, so curb rash possibilities are greatly reduced.
I will attach some before and after pictures. The first one is with the stock tires. When I take it in for service, I have to point it out that I have 19" wheels.
The 245/55 Michelin Premier LTX tires are very close to the diam. of the original tires. They are .2" taller then the stock front tires and .1" shorter then the stock rear tires, so speed and odometer readings are near stock.
If you use the lower profile but wider 265/50 tires handling may be better but range will probably be lower due to more rubber on the road. Improved tire design, materials could effect range, ride, and handling so it's hard to says which is the best for you.
Hope this helps.

mr ed, i just noticed michelin premier ltx 245/55/19 has a max psi of 44 - mx is supposed to be at 44... so do u just run it at or below 40 ???

The max sidewall rating is allowed to be operated at continuously - and that is actually the safest b/c there won’t be any weight issues (not enough air for the current load, etc) on the tire. Tires are rated to carry X weight at Y max pressure, and live up to Z mileage and handling specs.

Reactions: oldsport
The max sidewall rating is allowed to be operated at continuously - and that is actually the safest b/c there won’t be any weight issues (not enough air for the current load, etc) on the tire. Tires are rated to carry X weight at Y max pressure, and live up to Z mileage and handling specs.

so iyo those 245/55/19 are safe at 44psi given no towing?

I run my 2017 Model X with 245/55R19s at between 42 and 44 lbs of pressure. The sticker on the car calls for 42lbs all the way around. I changed the Michelin Premier LTX 245/55/19 at 50,000 miles and replaced them with Michelin Defender LTX as the Premiers are NLA in this size. The new tires seem to be wearing and riding very similar to the old ones.