Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PW2 Critical Load Panel Yes or No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am having a PW2 installed this week. The original plan, was to install a critical load panel. Essentially to intercept my sub panel and add additional needed circuits. However, the more I think about it, why wouldn't I just back up the entire house? I have 7KWH solar system (enphase) and I use about 30 to 40KWH per day. This includes what I currently sell back to SCE. My high utilization is due to pool, fountains, outdoor bar, etc. While I understand that the PW2 would only run the entire house for a few short hours, Although with pool and other major equipment off, my utilization is less than 1kwh. I could simply control the load by turning equipment off, as opposed to having this off a separate panel. Thought would also be to add an additional PW2 at a later date. Goal of the PW2 is both for power failure preparedness as well as time shifting utilization from SCE.

I was going to use a separate circuit to isolate the PW-2 and supply just critical loads. I decided to go against that idea and just backup the whole house. I'm glad I did because the total house load is mostly less than the 5Kw so I see much more self consumption than I would have had I isolated. The times the 5Kw PW-2 load is exceeded is either taken from Solar and/or the Grid but one can adjust usage patterns to take best advantage - just takes a little conscious effort :)

In deciding how many and which circuits can be backed up, you need to check the maximum draw. I have heard people say on this board that Tesla will not connect any load to the backed up side of the gateway if they pull more than the PowerWall(s) can output. For example, a single PowerWall cannot support any load that has a breaker more than 30 amps. Obviously that should scale with more PowerWalls.

I had a third party installer, and they did my whole home with one PowerWall without a critical loads panel. It works fine; I even tested what happens if my Model S starts trying to charge at 9 pm if the grid is down; somehow the PowerWall signals it not to (frequency drop?) and the car won't charge at the full 10 kW. I can manually set it to a lower charge current and then it will charge fine off the PowerWall, though.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile