Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S pyro fuse needs replacing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to update an existing thread but it told me I needed to login (I was logged in!).

Tesla Guildford UK quoted £513 for model s pyro fuse replacement for my 2016 85D model S where the fuse is easily accessible in a panel I can see under the car. How can any company get away with a "designed to fail" pre-date-triggered failure within my main battery warranty period with such a fee? How long can it take them to unscrew the existing one and replace and reset some software? Rapidly going off Tesla.

The reason for the cost seems to be due to it being in the High Voltage loop. The technician must be trained in high-voltage systems and must go through a detailed process to “safe” the high-voltage system before working on the fuse. But I agree, it could have been designed better especially for something Tesla knew was going to have to be replaced.

Reactions: David Harvey
Tesla Gatwick quoted me £280 for my 2017 S75. I booked it in for the work and took it in on July 31st once Tesla told me that the fuse it was in stock. I left it with them as arranged and a few hours later they told me that they do not have the necessary part! Does Tesla Guildford have the replacement fuse in stock? I have been waiting three weeks so far for the fuse to come into stock at Gatwick. I agree with you about the warranty. Some owners in the USA have had it covered by warranty and some refused. There are also inconsistencies over the price. The pyro fuse is most certainly a part of the HV pack and Tesla's own warranty wording does not specify their definition of 'battery' nor which HV battery components are excluded. I think that it should be a safety recall (and covered by warranty) as the pyro fuse is supposed to deploy and isolate the HV pack when the airbags go off. I do accept that the alert is probably a false one due to to an incorrect date being recorded for the pyro fuse battery expiration but are we comfortable taking the risk of the HV battery not being isolated in a heavy crash?

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Most of these errors are triggered by a bug in the firmware, wait a few days and if it goes off then you already have the updated fuse.
I know mine was not the battery powered version as I'd had it in my hand when I dropped the pack.
Don't be paying £500 for this nonsense, wait at least a week to see if the error clears on its own first.

I tried to update an existing thread but it told me I needed to login (I was logged in!).

Tesla Guildford UK quoted £513 for model s pyro fuse replacement for my 2016 85D model S where the fuse is easily accessible in a panel I can see under the car. How can any company get away with a "designed to fail" pre-date-triggered failure within my main battery warranty period with such a fee? How long can it take them to unscrew the existing one and replace and reset some software? Rapidly going off Tesla.
Most people will not remember when Legacy automakers got caught engineering failures into some of their parts during the late 80s so the dealerships could make more money. Water pumps had ceramic cups that would leak as water flow eroded the cup, alternators, starters and fuel pumps were designed to fail after the warranty was up

Tesla Gatwick quoted me £280 for my 2017 S75. I booked it in for the work and took it in on July 31st once Tesla told me that the fuse it was in stock. I left it with them as arranged and a few hours later they told me that they do not have the necessary part! Does Tesla Guildford have the replacement fuse in stock? I have been waiting three weeks so far for the fuse to come into stock at Gatwick. I agree with you about the warranty. Some owners in the USA have had it covered by warranty and some refused. There are also inconsistencies over the price. The pyro fuse is most certainly a part of the HV pack and Tesla's own warranty wording does not specify their definition of 'battery' nor which HV battery components are excluded. I think that it should be a safety recall (and covered by warranty) as the pyro fuse is supposed to deploy and isolate the HV pack when the airbags go off. I do accept that the alert is probably a false one due to to an incorrect date being recorded for the pyro fuse battery expiration but are we comfortable taking the risk of the HV battery not being isolated in a heavy crash?
I am not aware that Guildford had it in stock. In fact I told them I am closer to the Heathrow centre and they have now also told me they have ordered the part and I am waiting. Heathrow have not quoted me yet, they will do when the part arrives. I will not be happy if they quote £500+. I sympathise with your debacle, it is so frustrating how often I have had to take the car into Tesla Heathrow for minor problems.

I now have a quote for £307 from Tesla Heathrow, so a lot more reasonable. Not sure why different centres should produce different quotes on what must be a common repeated issue, other than them not knowing whether the fuse is underneath perhaps (it is on mine). Still waiting for the part, they probably have to manufacture lots of these fuses to keep up with the demand now.

Tesla Service Department gave me an “estimate” of $700 to replace the main battery pack fuse. Depending on the type battery pack and specific fuse required, the actual amount could be less. Also, when the replacement warning first appears on the dashboard, you could have up to six months to replace it and the vehicle warning system needs to be reset. This is a 400 volt system and requires a trained Tesla technician to replace it. The fuse is on a calendar dated/timed setting and once the time is up, the vehicle will disconnect the battery pack and make the vehicle undrivable.

Tesla Service Department gave me an “estimate” of $700 to replace the main battery pack fuse. Depending on the type battery pack and specific fuse required, the actual amount could be less. Also, when the replacement warning first appears on the dashboard, you could have up to six months to replace it and the vehicle warning system needs to be reset. This is a 400 volt system and requires a trained Tesla technician to replace it. The fuse is on a calendar dated/timed setting and once the time is up, the vehicle will disconnect the battery pack and make the vehicle undrivable.
I have my pyro fuse replaced in early 2021 when I was having the LDU and HV contactors replaced under warranty. What you describe reminds me of the fears about Y2K, but this one seems to a real issue. Pretty wild that Tesla isn't doing an active campaign to get all the vehicles fixed. I know recalls are embarrassing but why not do a TSB.

If your pack is under warranty, it should be no charge to change the pyro fuse

What year is your car?

The only 85 pack to ever have the pyro fuse is the P85D upgraded to Ludicrous. The 85D has the standard thermal fuse which does not have a battery. One other user in another thread who got the replace battery in fuse error turned out to only need a config change and not an actual fuse replacement since his 85D pack did not actually have a pyro fuse. I'm assuming the fuse battery warning message is driven off some sort of age algorithm which fires even if you don't have the pyro fuse.

If you did have a pyro fuse on your 85 pack, the pack must be lowered. It can't be replaced through that little orange port you see on the bottom of your pack.

The only 85 pack to ever have the pyro fuse is the P85D upgraded to Ludicrous. The 85D has the standard thermal fuse which does not have a battery. One other user in another thread who got the replace battery in fuse error turned out to only need a config change and not an actual fuse replacement since his 85D pack did not actually have a pyro fuse. I'm assuming the fuse battery warning message is driven off some sort of age algorithm which fires even if you don't have the pyro fuse.

If you did have a pyro fuse on your 85 pack, the pack must be lowered. It can't be replaced through that little orange port you see on the bottom of your pack.
Sorka - Your post raises a couple questions. I just got the "Battery Fuse" message on my out-of-warrenty 2015 P90DL with the orginal main battery pack.

There is a port on the right front bottom of my pack held by 6 screws. Initially reading this thread, I thought having that port meant my fuse could be replaced without dropping the pack. But your post infers that may not be true. Do you know of any way to know for sure if it is replaceble from below?

You also infer that my P90DL may already have the newer fuse (without batteries). Do you know of any a way to know in advance before I contact Tesla service so I can avoid their run-around? Thanks.

Sorka - Your post raises a couple questions. I just got the "Battery Fuse" message on my out-of-warrenty 2015 P90DL with the orginal main battery pack.

There is a port on the right front bottom of my pack held by 6 screws. Initially reading this thread, I thought having that port meant my fuse could be replaced without dropping the pack. But your post infers that may not be true. Do you know of any way to know for sure if it is replaceble from below?

You also infer that my P90DL may already have the newer fuse (without batteries). Do you know of any a way to know in advance before I contact Tesla service so I can avoid their run-around? Thanks.

All pyro fuses have the battery. The older thermal fuse does not. At some point, the fuse became replacement through a port in the bottom of the battery. The 85 is not but I think the 90 battery can have it's fuse replaced through the bottom without dropping the pack. I'm not 100% sure.

According to this post:

They eventually dispensed with needing a battery on the pyro fuse. Didn't know that. A 2016 P90DL almost certainly still has the battery. Also according this post, the 90 battery fuse can be replaced through the orange port in the bottom of the battery but the video doesn't actually show it being done, so it take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks Sorka. I contacted service and got an instant quote of $363.48 and an apointment 2 days from now. Looks like they're primed to knock out a whole bunch of these out-of-warrentee easy high-margin jobs ASAP. Suspiciously looks like a plan to boost first quarter earnings.

My 8-year warrantee ended less than a year ago and one might think they would have replaced it then.

Last edited:
All pyro fuses have the battery. The older thermal fuse does not. At some point, the fuse became replacement through a port in the bottom of the battery. The 85 is not but I think the 90 battery can have it's fuse replaced through the bottom without dropping the pack. I'm not 100% sure.
I thought the last 85's in 2015 had the fuses moved to the bottom and was suspecting since mine is a later 2015 and looks to have the fuse at the bottom that this might be part if 6 the reason why my battery has made it past 340K miles so far.

I am in Cyprus , there is no Tesla service over here, I changed the pyro fuse but the error message persisted.
I contacted Tesla but they refuse to help as the car is not currently residing in a core market country.

I need to reset the computer / pyro fuse error message, can anyone help? I told Tesla my situation and they refused to help.. What total a-holes.!!