Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Q: Full Xpel with partial re-wrap in STEK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Had a minor collision (cosmetic only) that will require the front bumper and passenger fender to be repainted.

The car is fully wrapped in Xpel Ultimate + but I may be going to another shop in WA (Metropolitan Detail) who carries STEK not XPEL. Part of the reason for switching shops is lack of an eye for detail at the first shop which is why I'm considering Metropolitan (incredible reviews).

My question is: if the car is currently wrapped in Xpel, will there be a noticeable difference at all (color, texture, gloss, etc.) if the front fender and bumper are wrapped in Stek Dynoshield?

Have any of you ever had to do a partial re-wrap with a different brand of film?

Thanks

I'd call the guys at Metro Detail and see what they say. I spoke with them before getting my car wrapped and the main guy there was super informative and willing to talk through all my questions. I ended up going with another shop because the price difference was what I considered insurmountable for my wallet.

Which shop did you end up going to? That was my basic reasoning as well and ended up going to Midnight Window Tint in Bellevue, but severely regret it at this point. Will save the details but I learned the hard way that you definitely get what you pay for and I should have stuck with Metropolitan instead of trying to save $.

PS: last night I decided to just pull the Xpel off the fender/bumper since it is being replaced anyway. I was shocked to see that most of the damage was only to the wrap. Fender has zero paint damage as does 95% of the bumper. Incredible film!

Unfortunately, the scuff did scrape away all of the film in one spot and about a 1/4" nick in the paint on the passenger side below the headlight. That part will still need repainting.

I went to Accutint Bellevue for full XPEL Stealth wrap, XPEL Stealth on the center console, tint, and chrome delete. They ended up not doing the chrome delete as they had issues with edges lifting and unhappy customers. There are a couple things I need to go get fixed on the wrap. Starting to get an edge lifting under the window trim and it looks like he (poorly) free-hand cut the mirror cap edge. I called around and no one had done a full wrap on the Model 3 when I got mine, so I expected some imperfections no matter who I went with.