Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality Issues on Model S built in March 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sharing this as hopefully there are lessons for others to gain. It's already been 2 trips to the service center and there are still issues with the car. It's been a series of false starts, hassles and headaches since I received my 2nd Model S (Long Range 100D). I called all of these issues in within 7 days of delivery but even then, the service reps made comments that they would fix these as a "favor" or "good will" like it was an exception being made for me. I know the service center employees are the unsung heroes as some of us have to take our new Teslas to the service center to finish assembly/build. I guess lessons are don't buy a new car if it was built during the heat a pandemic (I got a Covid Tesla) and inspect super carefully BEFORE accepting delivery. There are some things the service center can't or won't fix.

Front Bumper
  1. 2 Scratches on left corner of front bumper. - Both scratches are parallel and straight and can probably be buffed out in my opinion. Stuff happens during transport so I get it.
  2. Right front bumper fits deeper than the headlights which exposes the headlights. If you compare to the left side (driver side), something is definitely off.
  3. Service Center Solution - They are going to order a new bumper which has to be painted and the whole deal. I'm a little surprised the fix has to be so extreme but they didn't give a lot of detail on why this is. It's possible this is related to the bumper/hood alignment issues. UPDATE: so they replaced the bumper for 2 small scratches and the fit/alignment is more or less the same. I'm really confused as to why they did this. I think the scratches could have been buffed out. I guess it's fixed either way but when they put the sensors back into the bumper, the black silicon cover didn't fit right and the wires are now partially exposed. Maybe I can put some tape over it.
Hood/Frunk
  1. 2 Deep Chips on right side (passenger) of hood - Frankly this defect alone should deem the car as damaged or defective. It looks like some kind of tool or clamp dug two teeth marks into it.
  2. Left side (driver's) hood closes 1/4 inch above the left quarter panel. - Panel alignment/body issues are well documented on forums so I expected this. I had the same issues with the last Model S. It still disappointing that this hasn't been addressed at the plant. It's seems like the shape of the hood is off.
  3. Sparkles/Glitter Spots all over hood - At first glance they look like water spots but when you look closer they have a sparkle and looks like clear coat overspray. This is horrible, I really don't know what to say to this one.
  4. Caked Polish on the edges of the hood - I had to use a soft rag to get all of it off but could not get into the headlights.
  5. Service Center Solution - They said all paint issues will be resolved on the follow-up visit. I'm very concerned about the hood alignment issues however. They said this is normal but I looked at several other cars while waiting at the service center and none had this issue. UPDATE: They acknowledged the overspray on the hood but tried to say that I called in the issue with the chips too late and said all they could do is touch up the paint. When I mentioned this to the Service rep on the 1st visit he said for all they know I could have caused this after I got the car but they would go ahead address as a "good will" towards me. WTH does that even mean??? Anyways, I made a point for the manager to come out and he said it's more than just applying touch-up. He said they their detail guy has been doing this for 40 years and I would barely notice after he's done. Also, he said they would detail/wash the whole car and have someone deliver the car to me. NONE of this happened. The chips look exactly the same and only the parts addressed were clean, the rest of the car was the same as when I dropped it off. They did address the overspray by polishing the hood.

B-Pillar Drivers Side
  1. Plastic/leather cover by B-pillar is dislodged loose - Looks like the clip that keeps it in place was broken during install. I don't understand how this could pass QC.
  2. Service Center Solution - New part must be ordered. UPDATE: Issue was resolved.
Trunk
  1. Trunk doesn't close evenly, closes more on the left side than right side. - A Panel alignment/body issues are well documented on forums so I expected this. I had the same issues with the last Model S. It's still disappointing that these type of issues still exist.
  2. Left plastic panel in trunk is broken, does not attach/bulges out. - Looks like the clip that keeps it in place was broken during install. I don't understand how this could pass QC.UPDATE: Issue came back again!!
  3. Service Center Solution - They said they adjusted something with the trunk on the service notes but still looks the same. Also, it doesn't look like the left plastic panel was repaired either.
Windshield
  1. Overspray - There is a glitter-like coat over the entire windshield that glares when driving in the sun. This is also all over the hood of the car.
  2. Service Center Solution - UPDATE: They acknowledged this issue on the second visit and was resolved by polishing the windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_0839.jpg
    IMG_0839.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 61151061051__31D836EB-90FB-4719-ACCA-3F2C616244A3.JPG
    61151061051__31D836EB-90FB-4719-ACCA-3F2C616244A3.JPG
    785.1 KB · Views: 159
Sharing this as hopefully there are lessons for others to gain. It's already been 2 trips to the service center and there are still issues with the car. It's been a series of false starts, hassles and headaches since I received my 2nd Model S (Long Range 100D). I called all of these issues in within 7 days of delivery but even then, the service reps made comments that they would fix these as a "favor" or "good will" like it was an exception being made for me. I know the service center employees are the unsung heroes as some of us have to take our new Teslas to the service center to finish assembly/build. I guess lessons are don't buy a new car if it was built during the heat a pandemic (I got a Covid Tesla) and inspect super carefully BEFORE accepting delivery. There are some things the service center can't or won't fix.

Front Bumper
  1. 2 Scratches on left corner of front bumper. - Both scratches are parallel and straight and can probably be buffed out in my opinion. Stuff happens during transport so I get it.
  2. Right front bumper fits deeper than the headlights which exposes the headlights. If you compare to the left side (driver side), something is definitely off.
  3. Service Center Solution - They are going to order a new bumper which has to be painted and the whole deal. I'm a little surprised the fix has to be so extreme but they didn't give a lot of detail on why this is. It's possible this is related to the bumper/hood alignment issues. UPDATE: so they replaced the bumper for 2 small scratches and the fit/alignment is more or less the same. I'm really confused as to why they did this. I think the scratches could have been buffed out. I guess it's fixed either way but when they put the sensors back into the bumper, the black silicon cover didn't fit right and the wires are now partially exposed. Maybe I can put some tape over it.
Hood/Frunk
  1. 2 Deep Chips on right side (passenger) of hood - Frankly this defect alone should deem the car as damaged or defective. It looks like some kind of tool or clamp dug two teeth marks into it.
  2. Left side (driver's) hood closes 1/4 inch above the left quarter panel. - Panel alignment/body issues are well documented on forums so I expected this. I had the same issues with the last Model S. It still disappointing that this hasn't been addressed at the plant. It's seems like the shape of the hood is off.
  3. Sparkles/Glitter Spots all over hood - At first glance they look like water spots but when you look closer they have a sparkle and looks like clear coat overspray. This is horrible, I really don't know what to say to this one.
  4. Caked Polish on the edges of the hood - I had to use a soft rag to get all of it off but could not get into the headlights.
  5. Service Center Solution - They said all paint issues will be resolved on the follow-up visit. I'm very concerned about the hood alignment issues however. They said this is normal but I looked at several other cars while waiting at the service center and none had this issue. UPDATE: They acknowledged the overspray on the hood but tried to say that I called in the issue with the chips too late and said all they could do is touch up the paint. When I mentioned this to the Service rep on the 1st visit he said for all they know I could have caused this after I got the car but they would go ahead address as a "good will" towards me. WTH does that even mean??? Anyways, I made a point for the manager to come out and he said it's more than just applying touch-up. He said they their detail guy has been doing this for 40 years and I would barely notice after he's done. Also, he said they would detail/wash the whole car and have someone deliver the car to me. NONE of this happened. The chips look exactly the same and only the parts addressed were clean, the rest of the car was the same as when I dropped it off. They did address the overspray by polishing the hood.

B-Pillar Drivers Side
  1. Plastic/leather cover by B-pillar is dislodged loose - Looks like the clip that keeps it in place was broken during install. I don't understand how this could pass QC.
  2. Service Center Solution - New part must be ordered. UPDATE: Issue was resolved.
Trunk
  1. Trunk doesn't close evenly, closes more on the left side than right side. - A Panel alignment/body issues are well documented on forums so I expected this. I had the same issues with the last Model S. It's still disappointing that these type of issues still exist.
  2. Left plastic panel in trunk is broken, does not attach/bulges out. - Looks like the clip that keeps it in place was broken during install. I don't understand how this could pass QC.UPDATE: Issue came back again!!
  3. Service Center Solution - They said they adjusted something with the trunk on the service notes but still looks the same. Also, it doesn't look like the left plastic panel was repaired either.
Windshield
  1. Overspray - There is a glitter-like coat over the entire windshield that glares when driving in the sun. This is also all over the hood of the car.
  2. Service Center Solution - UPDATE: They acknowledged this issue on the second visit and was resolved by polishing the windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 173
On my 3rd post facelift S. I’m surprised how they still haven’t figured out the panel gaps. I have had the same 1/4 gap in the hood for the past 2 cars. They tried to fix it on one of the cars but actually made it worse. For the new one I’m not risking it.

Reactions: InternetDude
On my 3rd post facelift S. I’m surprised how they still haven’t figured out the panel gaps. I have had the same 1/4 gap in the hood for the past 2 cars. They tried to fix it on one of the cars but actually made it worse. For the new one I’m not risking it.

That's what happened with the bumper. Some areas fit better but new gaps showed up. When pieces don't always fit right that means one of the pieces is not consistent in shape or dimensions. I believe it's the body frame of the car that is causing this.

Front Bumper
Hood/Frunk

B-Pillar Drivers Side
Trunk
Windshield
That's what happened with the bumper. Some areas fit better but new gaps showed up. When pieces don't always fit right that means one of the pieces is not consistent in shape or dimensions. I believe it's the body frame of the car that is causing this.

UPDATE: I created a 3rd Service Request to address the other issues. I mentioned that they did nothing to fix the chips on the side of the hood and requested that they send me a touch up kit so I could do it myself. They wouldn't even pay for the kit and told me to go by it myself.

Wow sorry to hear you are having such terrible service with a new car. It looks like some of the paint defects might be from shipping? I recall one new car having something similar. Dealer blamed it on rail transportation.

The chip was probably from transport, there already was some touch paint so it's obvious the delivery team tried to fix it and hoped I wouldn't notice. The clear coat overspray on the windsheild and hood should have been caught

My 2020 MSP late March 2020 has some issues as I said. I used acetone and a razor blade to clean windshield. Hood has 3 imperfections which I am just going to accept. Found 3 other paint issues and one scratch. Haven't decided if I am going to take the chance to have fixed. Only mechanical issue was the rear compartment does not close after car has been in sun (heated up). Probably an adjustment, but I posted in the S forum and no responses on how to adjust. Every vehicle I have owned has some issues. Nearly all issues fixes result in other issues from the fix. Sometimes living with them saves much grief. I have owned over 50 vehicles, 16 corvettes and never have I been more pleased with the ride and performance of our MSP. All have had some issues. Some of the ones the OP listed for his Tesla seem worst than mine. I can say 100% I love the one pedal driving, as I have detailed my MSP 3 times and wheels are easy to clean without brake dust. I had to try the Tesla MSP. Used funds saved for Corvette mid engine to purchase MSP. I can say for sure, that I am getting to be an old fart and muscle car loud motors don't excite me anymore. Looking forward to the 1st mid engine vette that plays with me :) !!

M

My 2020 MSP late March 2020 has some issues as I said. I used acetone and a razor blade to clean windshield. Hood has 3 imperfections which I am just going to accept. Found 3 other paint issues and one scratch. Haven't decided if I am going to take the chance to have fixed. Only mechanical issue was the rear compartment does not close after car has been in sun (heated up). Probably an adjustment, but I posted in the S forum and no responses on how to adjust. Every vehicle I have owned has some issues. Nearly all issues fixes result in other issues from the fix. Sometimes living with them saves much grief. I have owned over 50 vehicles, 16 corvettes and never have I been more pleased with the ride and performance of our MSP. All have had some issues. Some of the ones the OP listed for his Tesla seem worst than mine. I can say 100% I love the one pedal driving, as I have detailed my MSP 3 times and wheels are easy to clean without brake dust. I had to try the Tesla MSP. Used funds saved for Corvette mid engine to purchase MSP. I can say for sure, that I am getting to be an old fart and muscle car loud motors don't excite me anymore. Looking forward to the 1st mid engine vette that plays with me :) !!

M
Agree, there are certain issues like gaps and fit that are not worth addressing.

Similar issue with the panel, had mobile technician come and replace it. My trunk was misaligned quite a bit when I picked it up, they made a the gap a bit smaller but said that it was within the "specs".

Similar issue with the panel, had mobile technician come and replace it. My trunk was misaligned quite a bit when I picked it up, they made a the gap a bit smaller but said that it was within the "specs".

Ha! That's what they said to me too. They actually use that verbatim in the service summary PDF. Does anyone know if there is an official "spec" document? Unless there is an obvious safety issue I imagine it's subjective.

Agree, there are certain issues like gaps and fit that are not worth addressing.
We've lived a while and some of us have learned that once we get the perfect car, with the perfect color of paint and the perfect quality of paint (no blemishes or bad spots) and perfect fit and finish, no gaps, not dings, no curb rash, no acid rain spots, no streaks on inside or outside the glass. Simply a perfect car after 50 years of waiting on it. Then it morphs into a bug/bump/ding/door bang, curb, accident magnet and its like a spotlight is shining on it and people/cars are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. So, you go home and cry.

• Funny
Reactions: babywasbees

Front Bumper
Hood/Frunk
  5. Service Center Solution - They said all paint issues will be resolved on the follow-up visit. I'm very concerned about the hood alignment issues however. They said this is normal but I looked at several other cars while waiting at the service center and none had this issue. UPDATE: They acknowledged the overspray on the hood but tried to say that I called in the issue with the chips too late and said all they could do is touch up the paint. When I mentioned this to the Service rep on the 1st visit he said for all they know I could have caused this after I got the car but they would go ahead address as a "good will" towards me. WTH does that even mean??? Anyways, I made a point for the manager to come out and he said it's more than just applying touch-up. He said they their detail guy has been doing this for 40 years and I would barely notice after he's done. Also, he said they would detail/wash the whole car and have someone deliver the car to me. NONE of this happened. The chips look exactly the same and only the parts addressed were clean, the rest of the car was the same as when I dropped it off. They did address the over-spray by polishing the hood.

B-Pillar Drivers Side
Trunk
Windshield
UPDATE: Liner in the trunk had to be ordered because it was "Deformed" or permanently bent. Not even sure how that happens, but apparently there are no clips that keep the liner in place. It's just tucked in.

Regarding, sensor wires being exposed when they replaced the bumper, I got tired of seeing those wires so I was able to push the rubber cover back in. The technician used double-sided tape to secure it. Double sided tape seems to be key for repairing Tesla defects.