Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quality not so bad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I sat charging my MY (which has passenger side doors painted different shades of white) I watched what must be a very close relative of my MY be delivered off a car carrier. BTW my doors are being repainted by SC, hope the same is done for car in the picture.

Tesla - White.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: raggedy
I haven't heard/seen many complaints on Midnight Silver either.

I originally ordered White, once all the problems started cropping up (without resolution even now) I switched to my second choice color... Midnight Silver. So Tesla's incompetence made them an extra $1K on a paint job. It's not often that poor workmanship is rewarded, but here we are :confused:

After we turned in our white Model Y with Tesla recommending that, we reordered midnight silver with the price drop. After Battery Day, we will push for delivery.

^ Sounds like a plan, but keep in mind.. Battery Day is Sept 22nd IIRC.. and that is just one week before Q3 end. Remember what happened to quality at Q2 end :eek:

Now that the one-piece "MegaCast" machine is on line... that should also help new build quality going forward.

Also a lot of Tesla reps read and post here.

Went to a showroom yesterday and one sales rep sort of poked fun at me for planning on inspecting the car for about 30 minutes. He claims that people usually inspect their cars for less than a minute.

In addition he claimed that Tesla’s quality control is not inferior to German cars.
Furthermore it just seemed like they are doing me a favor by selling a Tesla to me, I was left stunned.
I took delivery of my 3 in December... I probably took less than a minute inspecting. I walked around and looked at the car, opened the doors and looked around, signed the papers and drove off. I cant imagine what I could have done for 30 minutes.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
I took delivery of my 3 in December... I probably took less than a minute inspecting. I walked around and looked at the car, opened the doors and looked around, signed the papers and drove off. I cant imagine what I could have done for 30 minutes.

Just go through one of the many checklists floating around and you will easily spend 30 minutes. I hope your car had good build quality. If it did, consider yourself lucky as Tesla has the worst in the industry.

While I'm waiting for my Y, I've been reading posts all over the internet and I started to get worried about all of the quality / paint issues people post about so I decided to drive down to the Portland service center and check out the quality of the Y's myself. I'm happy to say that I looked at 14 different Ys in all different colors and there wasn't a single one that I wouldn't have accepted. I saw a tiny bit of variation in the charge door on one but I only noticed it because I was specifically looking for it. I checked the white ones for paint mismatch or splotchy paint and they were all fine. Panel gaps were good and there was nothing wrong with trim. VINs were all over the place from 10xxx to 26xxx. In the end, I felt much better and can stop stressing. Now, if I could just get my Y!

I have a 26x, and honestly the issues were relatively minor. I posted it in this forum back in July. Going on three weeks with the car, and over 800 miles, and I really don't even think about the issues any more. The gaps are getting fixed on Sep 4, while HomeLink is added. It's such a joy to drive, that it overshadows the worry associated with any gaps.