Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about Blackvue dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, looking to install a blackvue 900 dashcam in my car. I've read on a couple threads from 2018 that Tesla will show a service battery message if the camera's wired directly for parking mode. The workaround I saw was buying blackvue's battery that plugs into the 12v in the console. Was wondering if it's still necessary? Thanks.

...The workaround I saw was buying blackvue's battery that plugs into the 12v in the console. Was wondering if it's still necessary?...

No. It was a "yes" prior to Sentro Mode but not since Sentry Mode.

Sentry Mode keeps your constant 12V going so there is no longer need to get a portable battery.

Unless, of course, if you turn off Tesla Sentry Mode then your 12V would time out and you would still need a portable battery.

Reactions: lhrmeonom
Dumb question... why not use sentry mode?

1) Sentry Mode was not implemented so people had to buy their own portable battery until that mode was released.

2) Now that Sentry Mode is released, it drains quite a lot of battery so some might want to use their own portable battery instead.

3) Some homes are nudist colonies so they don't want to turn on Sentry Mode at home until the society is more open. :)

Oh... I think I misunderstood the question. The question is why not using Sentry Mode instead of going through the trouble of adding duplicating dash cam?

I would say since Tesla Cam is still in beta so it may work in one firmware but then broken the next... and also Tesla only has video not audio, and it doesn't display the rear camera view (directly rear, not talking aobut side rears) ... so it is prudent to add a non-beta dash cam with audio for your Model 3.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Akikiki and NoMoGas