Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

question. about choice from 6 seater with/without center console

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kujo

Jun 29, 2018
taiwan
Hi everyone, i am a new onwer from Taiwan, my English may not good enough,i have to say sorry about that first.

I order a model X 6 seater version, i still have 3 days can change the setting, and i read a lot of post about the 2 kind versions, with center console or not. i need you give me some advice.

with center console:
2nd row seater get more comfortable, they won't have stress with thier left hand. and also can put some in to the box like tissue or water.

without center console:
3rd row get more room for thier legs.(if have center console, you still can put your leg straighten between center concole and 2nd row seats) . they can put bag on the floor, and 3ed row can easy to get in ot out without move any seat.

and i pick black seats now. i am worry about ultra white will easy get darty with jeans or oil or something you know, i use white car with white seats about 10 years, i am every worry about that.

Thank you for the answer, asvice, and everything.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The white seats are actually very easy to clean and have the advantage of keeping much cooler in hot weather. But you have to be more careful of stains etc. so they can be more of a worry long term.

Centre console is a personal choice and I think you've listed the pros and cons of each, but even without the console there are still 2 pop-out cupholders in the second row anyway if that's something you really need. Not sure if you knew that?

As for the center console, we don’t have one and LOVE instead our electric cooler (there is a separate thread on them). The nice ones run about $800. They provide arm rests and cup holders. And of course, best of all, you can remove them.

As for the seats, we went with black, even though we live in Florida. Never had an issue with the seats being too hot, PLUS you can just pre-cool the cabin (even if you don’t get Pre-Conditioning). The white are beautiful as well, but I don’t like the idea of having to clean them (everything I read and see saying cleaning is super easy).

We have the 6 seater with center console and the ultra white seats.

The white seats are great and actually stay looking cleaner than dark seats as they don't show dust and small dirt as easily. The are as bright white today as when we picked the X up about 8 months ago and with only minimal cleaning. Just picked white for my Daughter's 3 as well. If you are interested in white and are afraid about keeping them clean, do not worry about that.

The center console is a tough one. We ended up choosing it because we rarely use the 3rd row so were not overly concerned about the leg room. If we were planning to use the 3rd row more often I would have chosen the 6 seater without the center console. I also think someone figured out how to remove the center console and use a floor mat and a piece of board to convert back and forth (posted somewhere on here).

As for the seats, we went with black, even though we live in Florida. Never had an issue with the seats being too hot, PLUS you can just pre-cool the cabin (even if you don’t get Pre-Conditioning). The white are beautiful as well, but I don’t like the idea of having to clean them (everything I read and see saying cleaning is super easy).

We have one car with white seats and one with black. The white seats reflect most of the heat, while the black ones absorb most of the heat and do get really hot in direct sunlight. Just basic physics. Of course you can pre-condition the cabin, but white seats really help reduce the heat build-up in the first place. Combined with white exterior I think it makes a much more efficient summer car for reflecting heat, although it wasn't something I'd really considered before owning this car. Keeping the white seats clean has been a lot easier than I ever expected too. So I think white is a great choice for this car, with the synthetic leather.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
I got the 6 seat and center console - In retrospect I think I would have gotten the 7 seater so the seats would lay flat to accommodate a variety of cargo. Right now it is pretty limiting - I am specifically thinking of how to transport flat screen TV's and Items like that

Reactions: P85_DA
Hi, Kujo. We have the 6 seater with center console and love it. As you said, without the console, the second row passengers really have no place to rest their arms. It’s not comfortable for long trips.

It does cut off space to stretch legs for third row passengers, but that third row isn’t really comfortable for adults even if they can stretch their legs. It’s really only good for kids (or adults on short trips).

I think it makes the X more luxurious to have two rows of “captains chairs” with that center console so I recommend it. Good luck on your order!

I don't think there's a right answer. It really comes down to a lot of different variables. I debated the configuration options myself with the following reasoning:

1) 7 seater - I don't think seating 7 is the actual draw here, as I think the guests will be the least comfortable. However, the benefit is that you can fold all seats flat and get minivan-like cargo capacity. You can also seat 7 in a pinch, just to shuttle people around for short distances.

2) 6 seater with center console - As was said, the benefit here is that you can sit 4 extremely comfortably. I think the lack of legroom in the third row is a dealbreaker if you care about having adults in the third row. I'm 5'10" and was EXTREMELY comfortable in the third row, as long as I could slouch a little and extend my legs into the aisle.

3) 6 seater w/out console - The happiest compromise for comfortably seating 5 or 6 passengers. You have the awkward setup of not having anything protecting cargo from sliding through the aisle when you fold the rear seats down, but you can hold a good mix of cargo and people. A lot of 2-row cars don't have armrests on both sides of the seat for passengers either, so keep that in mind.

I personally opted for 6 seater w/out center console. I have a 3yr and 5yr old still in car seats (one forward and one backward facing). I have the need of taking a 5th or 6th person at least once a month and the appeal of being able to seat 6 comfortably with two large car seats totally won me over. I lose all the benefit of a the 6 seat configuration if I had a center console, since it's a lot harder to install car seats in the 3rd row and adults back there lose their added legroom.

NOTE: I didn't mention the 5 seater because I don't know why people would get it. I understand it saves you $3000 but you lose the option of seating 7. I'd rather just pay $3k more and have the ability to seat 7 and still have the cargo capacity of the 5 seater. This isn't meant to offend anyone who opted for that, I just didn't see it as a viable option personally.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
NOTE: I didn't mention the 5 seater because I don't know why people would get it. I understand it saves you $3000 but you lose the option of seating 7. I'd rather just pay $3k more and have the ability to seat 7 and still have the cargo capacity of the 5 seater. This isn't meant to offend anyone who opted for that, I just didn't see it as a viable option personally.

Actually the only reason we opted for the 7-seater over the 5-seater was because of the additional rear A/C unit as I'd read about the 2nd row being uncomfortable without it in hot weather. Otherwise I think we would have banked the £3K and got rid of about 50 kg worth of dead weight. I doubt we'll ever use the rear row seats, but maybe they'll come in handy one day! The 5-seater would be a much more viable option for many people with the rear A/C unit, it's a shame that's not an option on its own.

Reactions: TexasRat and P85_DA

I got the five seater because I wanted the extra space under the deck, and secondly did not want to carry around the extra dead weight of the seats.

Reactions: TexasRat
After getting a loaner with the console, I would definitely not get it. It affects 3rd row leg room, it removes a nice access to the third row and makes it necessary to use the motors each time to access the third row, makes the third row more claustrophobic, and you can't store long items in the trunk with the console. Also, without the console, all passengers can exit through one FWD if they want. With the console in place, you need to open both FWD each time.

It´s a free center console..
Buy with the console. Remove it when or if it´s in the way. Yeah yeah, I know Tesla says you can´t and they can´t remove it, but I believe there is a "how to" post on this very forum. Remove the console. Fill the hole. For the price of a floormat for the non-console 6 seater you can have your cake and eat it too.

After getting a loaner with the console, I would definitely not get it. It affects 3rd row leg room, it removes a nice access to the third row and makes it necessary to use the motors each time to access the third row, makes the third row more claustrophobic, and you can't store long items in the trunk with the console. Also, without the console, all passengers can exit through one FWD if they want. With the console in place, you need to open both FWD each time.
That was my hypothesis as well. Glad to see it was spot on.

It´s a free center console..
Buy with the console. Remove it when or if it´s in the way. Yeah yeah, I know Tesla says you can´t and they can´t remove it, but I believe there is a "how to" post on this very forum. Remove the console. Fill the hole. For the price of a floormat for the non-console 6 seater you can have your cake and eat it too.
What's the point of that? Sounds like more work than it's worth. What are you going to do with the console if you remove it? Sell it? Doesn't seem like it's worth the effort :p If you really don't want it, then definitely don't order it ;)

Reactions: spectrum