Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question about refunds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question: if Tesla allows you to order a product on their online configurator and pay the non-refundable order fee, does that mean 100% you can in fact order that product?

My girlfriend's brother in Gilbert, AZ, puts his address into Tesla's online solar subscription configurator and Tesla suggests a system and then requires a non-refundable order fee. The problem is that his utility (SRP) isn't recognized in Tesla's FAQs page. Do I assume then that he can't subscribe to Tesla solar? Or that Tesla just hasn't updated their FAQs page? I'd call, but getting ahold of Tesla is nearly impossible unless one has first paid the non-refundable order fee.

Has anyone ordered a Tesla product, paid the non-refundable order fee, learned afterwards they couldn't get the product, then not get their order fee back?

Question: if Tesla allows you to order a product on their online configurator and pay the non-refundable order fee, does that mean 100% you can in fact order that product?

My girlfriend's brother in Gilbert, AZ, puts his address into Tesla's online solar subscription configurator and Tesla suggests a system and then requires a non-refundable order fee. The problem is that his utility (SRP) isn't recognized in Tesla's FAQs page. Do I assume then that he can't subscribe to Tesla solar? Or that Tesla just hasn't updated their FAQs page? I'd call, but getting ahold of Tesla is nearly impossible unless one has first paid the non-refundable order fee.

Has anyone ordered a Tesla product, paid the non-refundable order fee, learned afterwards they couldn't get the product, then not get their order fee back?

Hmm, my niece's Uncle said it's best to search for the appropriate Forum for "Tesla Solar" ;) in forum: Tesla Energy

Cheers!

Last edited:

There is specific wording in their contract which does allow them to cancel, specifically on solar/powerwall if they determine later you are outside of their service area your specific installation doesn't meet any number of criteria that allows them to cancel. Not having a recognized utility is probably among one of many things that allows them to cancel "without recourse".

With that said, it's $100 and you could probably:
1) initiate a chargeback on your credit card and get your card issuer to side with you (90 and 180 day limitations usually apply here)
2) be the squeaky wheel and threaten Tesla with a BBB complaint (or follow through with such) in order to get them to realize refunding your $100 is going to be less work than fighting you on it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
There is specific wording in their contract which does allow them to cancel, specifically on solar/powerwall if they determine later you are outside of their service area your specific installation doesn't meet any number of criteria that allows them to cancel. Not having a recognized utility is probably among one of many things that allows them to cancel "without recourse".

With that said, it's $100 and you could probably:
1) initiate a chargeback on your credit card and get your card issuer to side with you (90 and 180 day limitations usually apply here)
2) be the squeaky wheel and threaten Tesla with a BBB complaint (or follow through with such) in order to get them to realize refunding your $100 is going to be less work than fighting you on it.
Very good ideas, thank you.

I think what I'll do is have them pay the non-refundable order fee, and if it turns out Tesla doesn't allow subscription at his house, I'll just "refund" him the order fee myself. He and his wife are teachers and can't afford to throw away money. Tesla has been very good to me this year, on the other hand, so if I have to lose a bit of money to (hopefully) further the mission I don't mind.

Thanks again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger