Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question for those with chrome delete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny you ask. This was an "argument" I just had with my shop. We had originally agreed to do the whole handle, they just did the outside. They were fixing some other issues this weekend and we discussed the whole handle, and they just said they couldn't reliably do it. They'd rather warranty it catching than attempt to disassemble everything and still not get it right.

We both agreed that the better way to do it would have been to paint them. I passed. It still looks great though!

Reactions: hydro 481
Funny you ask. This was an "argument" I just had with my shop. We had originally agreed to do the whole handle, they just did the outside. They were fixing some other issues this weekend and we discussed the whole handle, and they just said they couldn't reliably do it. They'd rather warranty it catching than attempt to disassemble everything and still not get it right.

We both agreed that the better way to do it would have been to paint them. I passed. It still looks great though!
So they were basically saying it wouldn’t hold up over time?

I had the whole handle wrapped. After two years there is a faint rub on the lower door paint. You'd have to etch the chromed plastic in order to paint the handles. Tesla apearantly switched from the solid metal handles because they held so much heat in direct sunlight. Otherwise painting (or annodizing) and retrofitting the metal handles might hold up better.

Reactions: hydro 481
I had the whole handle wrapped. After two years there is a faint rub on the lower door paint. You'd have to etch the chromed plastic in order to paint the handles. Tesla apearantly switched from the solid metal handles because they held so much heat in direct sunlight. Otherwise painting (or annodizing) and retrofitting the metal handles might hold up better.
Faint rub on the inside of the door handle hole?

Mine is finally going in on April 2 for full ppf, tint and chrome delete. I've asked for the back of the handle to be wrapped as well, similar to RPM Tesla's kit. My NSX has an aluminum shift knob that gets smoking hot in the summer (if I forget to put a sock on it) and I've heard from another Model 3 owner the back of the handle gets hot in the summer.