Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question on Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

srnewby54

OD 8/18 |MYLR7 |Blu/Bl |19 |MO I DD 3/7
Jul 23, 2021
Kansas City, MO
I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.

I am somewhat confused and hope the folks here can enlighten me.

I placed my order for a Model Y LR late yesterday afternoon. Got a "thank you for your order" email yesterday evening. This morning I had another email from Tesla that talked about prepare for delivery. One of the items mentioned in that email is to provide insurance details. I looked all through my profile that I completed when I placed the order and saw nothing about insurance. Also when I checked with my insurance agent she said she will need a VIN to insure the car.

When does the insurance become important in the ordering and delivery process? I would think it wouldn't matter until I get a VIN, but I could be wrong. Please enlighten me and thank you in advance.
You need to upload your current insurance card - that’s it.

When I placed my last two online orders I had to upload a photo of my current insured car. I think they can't let you drive off the lot without insurance or something. The car doesn't need to be added to the policy before you get it. Even when I had the VIN before the car was ready for pickup my insurance company wanted to see the actual car after I picked it up. There was no rush either, I have li8ke a week or something.

I was required to provide a copy of my current and valid insurance card as part of the order checklist items.

My insurance wouldn’t add to policy even when I had the VIN. Needed to wait until after I took possession.

In California.

I am a prospective buyer of a model Y, I am trying to get more information before making my decision. I checked out the insurance section on Tesla.com and understand their system however I would like an estimate on approximate cost. On their site they have a range of pricing based on your driving score but of course other factors would be needed to get a more accurate estimate. Since I don't own a Tesla, I don't have the normal information or anyway to communicate with Tesla that I could find. Any suggestions?? Located in Texas, smaller town, senior, clear driving record - no accidents, tickets etc.