Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Question regarding the electronic door opener

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys.

Had an issues with my 2.5 roadster I hope some of you can clearify.

The car had been parked outside over night while it was snowing, the driver side door opened ok (had to pull a bit harder, but no problem), but the trunk did not open, due to ice.
After driving home I had my car in a heated garage over night. The next day the driver side door did not open (no "motor sound" when pressing the button), but the passenger side door worked. The trunk button was also still dead.
I did not have much time to look at this, since I was off for work travel. But when I returned back home four days later the status was the same.

Anyway after opening the trunk manually with the key, the driver side door started working again (as well as the trunk).

So I am just curious, does the driver door and trunk have some kind of common circuit or was it just coincident?

Can't answer regarding commonality of circuit - but occasionally I'll catch an edge of the black rubber handle (that you depress to open the door) under the edge of the opening & then think the door is not responding. It's not immediately obvious that that is what happened, the rubber still depresses somewhat, so things *feel right*.

If your door is inoperable again, check that first. It might just be caught a little.

Could be the 12 volt battery isn't doing well in the cold. Once a door is opened, the circuits turn on and the 12 volt battery is charged from the high voltage battery, so then everything works.

Next time something doesn't open, try opening the charge port door and wait a few minutes. If it then opens, there's a good chance your 12 volt battery needs replacing.

Thanks for the tip.
The problems disapeared all by it self. The driver side door might have been problematic due to the rubber beeing misalligned as suggested by bonnie. And the trunk was fixed by manual opening with key.