Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Questions about delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am excited to receive my new Model YP this Friday. However, I have been reading way too much on the forums and I've almost convinced myself that my car will arrive with issues. Yes, I know, the chances of that are minimum, but still, when I am seeing some of the people with the problems, I can't help but think I'm going to be on that side of the issue.

IF I see things in the delivery that I don't like, will I just be able to back out of the sale without any other recourse other than losing my 250 dollars? I do not want to be put back in the line again and wait for another one. I would want the amount I paid back (15,000) and just walk away with the car I was going to trade in. However, I don't think this is possible.

Hopefully, this won't even be an issue, but.....just in case.

You can reject once. The SA will put your order on hold. You can then release the hold which will put you back in queue to receive another vin. If you reject the car again, then your order will be canceled and you will forfeit the $250.

I've almost convinced myself that my car will arrive with issues.
This was my concern as well even though I know folks tend to talk more when there is something to gripe about then when there is not. I have had my MYP for months now and still can find nothing to gripe about. I still don't know what taking it in for something is even like since I have had no reason. The whole experience after receiving the car has been far and above my best expectations. Maybe I just happened to get a great specimen but I suspect this is more the rule than the exception. Be diligent and inspect but relax. Chances are you will be pleasantly surprised. Please let us know how it goes, especially if it is a good thing. I don't think we get a representative sample from that group.

Reactions: Wordslayer
I have been reading way too much on the forums and I've almost convinced myself that my car will arrive with issues.

Tesla builds about 1,000 Model Y a day, or may be about 5,000 a week.
I noticed about maybe one major complain a week on this forum.
So, there might be 4,999 deliveries a week with no real issues, or something of this magnitude.

Good to be carreful, especially because of any cosmetic damages during shipping.
Otherwise enjoy your new delivery.

Reactions: nate704 and cpaull
I've gotta say I was in the same boat as you, but ours was actually pretty good. I was so paranoid, I went over every millimeter of the car and the only thing I found was that the hood panel gap was ever so slightly wider on one side and the headlight on one side was not absolutely flush with the panel, which I guess is pretty common. The paint was absolutely flawless, which was a pleasant surprise. We got a LR Austin build last Sunday, so maybe that had something to do with it, but so far so good.

Tesla builds about 1,000 Model Y a day, or may be about 5,000 a week.
I noticed about maybe one major complain a week on this forum.
So, there might be 4,999 deliveries a week with no real issues, or something of this magnitude.

Good to be carreful, especially because of any cosmetic damages during shipping.
Otherwise enjoy your new delivery.
That's not an accurate representation on the percentage of Tesla vehicles with issues, as you're assuming all 5000 recipients are also TMC forum members.

Reactions: SpeedBird23
I had a cashier's check that I gave to the guy after he parked the Y in my driveway. I gave a quick once over to make sure there was nothing huge that was screwed up on the car. I didn't see any issues, gave him the check, he did some stuff on his tablet, and we were done. He then called an Uber and waited at the street for his ride.

The only issues I've had was that the driver's door was sticking out about 1-2 mm more than it should when closed. Mobile service came out and adjust the striker. It took about 30 seconds to fix. About 6 months later, the driver's seat was very slightly loose in that I could feel it move when I braked hard. I had to bring it in to a service center, and after about 2 hours, it was fixed. They took the seat off, and put it back on to ensure it was done correctly.

I even feel that my panels gaps are pretty good and certainly on par with my past Acuras.

I am excited to receive my new Model YP this Friday. However, I have been reading way too much on the forums and I've almost convinced myself that my car will arrive with issues. Yes, I know, the chances of that are minimum, but still, when I am seeing some of the people with the problems, I can't help but think I'm going to be on that side of the issue.

IF I see things in the delivery that I don't like, will I just be able to back out of the sale without any other recourse other than losing my 250 dollars? I do not want to be put back in the line again and wait for another one. I would want the amount I paid back (15,000) and just walk away with the car I was going to trade in. However, I don't think this is possible.

Hopefully, this won't even be an issue, but.....just in case.
Just picked up my new MYLR last Saturday and was actually losing sleep thinking about this same issue. So many problems noted in forums, etc.

I had a pretty comprehensive checklist and went through most items at the dealership and the rest at home. Not a problem to be found. Enjoy your new car!